Gun owners need basic medical training

I found this compelling video online by Paul Gomez of Gomez Training titled 'Watching Someone You Love Die Sucks':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6b1v9lcmG0

I strongly believe that if you own a gun and keep it in the home for self-defense, carry it for protection or as a job requirement, bring it to the range, etc., you should also learn basic medical skills (shooter's aid) to provide basic medical care until EMS can arrive on scene. You must be able to stop and control bleeding and/or maintain an airway at a minimum until help arrives.

I found this compelling video online by Paul Gomez of Gomez Training titled 'Watching Someone You Love Die Sucks':

I strongly believe that if you own a gun and keep it in the home for self-defense, carry it for protection or as a job requirement, bring it to the range, etc., you should also learn basic medical skills (shooter's aid) to provide basic medical care until EMS can arrive on scene. You must be able to stop and control bleeding and/or maintain an airway at a minimum until help arrives.
Everyone should learn these skills, guns are not the issue. The issue is being a useful human being able to help themselves or others in distress...

Last edited:
I dont discredit what this guy is saying, but you could say this about alot of things in life like driving, hiking, off roading, it can take alot of time to get help to a loved one in places that are remote or not near any medical units despite it not being a violent crime situation

I dont discredit what this guy is saying, but you could say this about alot of things in life like driving, hiking, off roading, it can take alot of time to get help to a loved one in places that are remote or not near any medical units despite it not being a violent crime situation
Yeah, the way this is stated rubs me the wrong way - like "people who carry guns should be required to X, Y, or Z."

These are basic life skills that any parent should be ensuring their children have by the time they leave the house. Ether specific knowledge or enough general knowledge of anatomy and common sense to work it out when the need arises.

Everyone should learn these skills, guns are not he issue. The issue is being a useful human being able to help themselves or others in distress...

This frankly I would rather see a basic medical portion of "health" class instead of all the weeks spent on safe secks

All kids in high school should be taught first aid/CPR/AED training and certified upon completion. Those classes should be taught with proper firearm/weapon/implements of death training and balancing a checkbook/what not to do with a credit card, useful things in life. The good lord knows I should have had the " what not to do with a credit card class " especially stationed at Chanute AFB and the trips to the Playboy club in Chicago.

Last edited:
100% Agree with Paul. I took a Trauma for Shooters class with Bill Lewitt @ Downrange Firearms Training a few months ago and that was such an awesome experience.

I carry my trauma kit in my bag everywhere now. It comes to the range with me, and is small enough to keep in my EDC bag. Bill is an awesome instructor and I highly suggest him for a Trauma course.

www.http://wayofthegun.com/ is his website

I think specifying gun owners is short sighted... EVERYONE should have this relatively rudimentary knowledge.

I recall the ER being impressed at how I wrapped my wife's finger when she put her thumb through a mandolin slicer. Turns out I do a better job than the nurses... and apparently most people don't even keep those types of materials around. THIS IS BASIC FRIGGING SHIT PEOPLE.

Are you Paul Gomez?

At my high school we got certified in CPR in health class, i thought that was useful

My high school did the same thing. I had previously attended a CPR class through Boy Scouts, and it came in very, VERY useful on at least one memorable occasion (before AED's, and before CPR training was as common as it is today).

I'm an ardent believer in CPR/AED training - not only because I'm an Instructor/Instructor Trainer, but because my sisters and I still have our Mom.

If I wasn't in exile in the Pacific Northwest for a few years and was still in Mass, I'd entertain the notion of an NES First Aid/CPR class. I'd be willing to bet there are other First Aid/BLS Instructors on the board that ARE still in the MA/NH area, though....just saying...

You are missing the point of the Op's original point.

If you know how to make holes, you should know how to close them too. It's a simple and responsible statement.

Its a pretty useful all around thing to have in your set of skills. I certified in CPR, AED, First aid and in Medical First response. I hope not to use them but its nice to have because If i ever have to I will be ready.

You are far more likely to run into medical emergencies that don't involve gun shot wounds at the range or anywhere else for that matter. Look at the average age of the members of your club and then think about what types of problems they might have.

I'm going bring this up at the next members meeting at my club and suggest that the BOD and officers take a CPR class and that the club by an AED. A basic first aid course would be good as well.

I agree with this, but like others I wouldnt limit it to gun owners. I think every responsible citizen should atleast have some basic medical knowledge but bviously the more the better.

We can nit-pick various parts of the presentation but the essential message is right on and should apply to everyone.

We can nit-pick various parts of the presentation but the essential message is right on and should apply to everyone.

^THIS!

And keep in mind...take a survey on this forum of how many people actually know how to use their defensive firearms (watching a magpul dvd doesnt count)...now ask how many know how to do more than apply band-aid...the responses will be startling to say the least!

I remember several years back when the late attorney Cross-X asked me what I thought was the largest cause of lawsuits against gun clubs. Let's see how many guesses it will take for folks to get the answer.

(Note, I'm not trying to imply that first-aid, CPR, or advanced first aid are not useful skills - they are. So is swimming.)

I remember several years back when the late attorney Cross-X asked me what I thought was the largest cause of lawsuits against gun clubs. Let's see how many guesses it will take for folks to get the answer.

(Note, I'm not trying to imply that first-aid, CPR, or advanced first aid are not useful skills - they are. So is swimming.)

Well I guess I wont put my skills to use then if someone is doing the kickin chicken. Wouldn't wanna get sued. As a matter of fact, i wont draw my gun in defense of myself either.

^THIS!

And keep in mind...take a survey on this forum of how many people actually know how to use their defensive firearms (watching a magpul dvd doesnt count)...now ask how many know how to do more than apply band-aid...the responses will be startling to say the least!

whew, got those two covered.

You are missing the point of the Op's original point.

If you know how to make holes, you should know how to close them too. It's a simple and responsible statement.

Thanks Matt!

This is primarily a gun forum, is it not?!? I'm not advocating that it be mandatory and/or regulated through any government level whatsoever. Since we all have firearms as a common interest, and we carry and/or keep one (or more) in our homes for protection, shouldn't we all consider some medical training beyond simple first aid? In order to strive to be the best that we can be and to be as a responsible gun owner as possible, shouldn't we all know how to stop/control bleeding and maintain an airway at a minimum? Just a thought.

As a parent and a responsible citizen, I know that this also applies to me in that respect as well.

This was just meant to provoke the thought of further medical training in gun owners.

Well I guess I wont put my skills to use then if someone is doing the kickin chicken. Wouldn't wanna get sued. As a matter of fact, i wont draw my gun in defense of myself either.

You've missed the point completely.

Gun club officers and directors should be far more concerned about trip and fall hazards than advanced first aid.

I know what the op was all about but what i think most people are stuck on is the fact that its directed at gun owners only when your most likely to use advanced first aid training in other situations (car accident, trip/fall, slip on ice, heart attack, food allergy, choking, drowning),

So is it bad to get advanced first aid training? No its a good thing, but to get it just because you have a gun, well i think its best to say if everyone was this concerned about having a loved one die in front of them gun owner or not, you should get the training

So, hang out for a day in the ER of your local hospital and count the number of accidental firearm related injuries vs those caused by auto accidents, slips/falls, chainsaws, motorcycles and the like.

You will quickly find that responsible gun owners are very much under represented in your statistics.

You should find a cause that will actually make a difference...

[Tex]Pffft... All you need to do is call your mom, and then call 911.
[/Grebnar]

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Everyone should know CPR and I think clubs should consider buying AEDs as this (heart attack) is what is going to kill most of us.

Gun shot specific first aid? Put pressure on it and call 911. I'm not really sure what else there is that we would want people doing? Maybe put a tourniquet on?

Back
Top Bottom