• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun inheritance while original owner is still alive?

I'm legal, the problem is I'm not listed in a will or a primary beneficiary or anything along those lines with anything to do with him.

My uncle is... The guns technically go to him, but he is unable to get a FID or LTC. He's power of attorney and basically told me that I can have the guns and we can decide what to do with them down the road.

I just want to make sure that I'm good to go if I take possession of them.
Just take them and put them in your safe.

1. Your legal to possess
2. The executor of the will is ok with it.

Done.

Don't over think it.

You guys got no idea I’ve inspired my neighbors. I’m completely retarded. Yet people are following me that sound like some Chito eating motherf***er we all know. MGnoob 2024

I mean... All I asked is... is it ok to take possession of someone else's guns who has dimentia, and if I register them in the portal pre maturely as inheritance is that going to raise red flags.

Idk how that's not a legitimate question or why you're dumber for hearing that. If you're here to be an a**h*** just do us all a favor and leave. I don't need useless input from someone who spends there time rediculing forum posts.
1. There is nothing illegal about storing someone else's guns in your safe as long as your legal.

2. If your cousin (legal heir) is ok with you taking possession for the time being there's no problem. Might want to make an itemized list for your piece of mind.

3. You don't need to do any transfer right away. There is no problem holding onto guns at your home that belong to someone else.

I have held onto guns for extensive periods of time that belong to others. It's fine.

If your grandfather is lucid enough, power of attorney can go to your uncle antemortum.
This...my father had moderate to severe dementia. As I had his power of attorney, his lawyer told me I could act on his behalf on all matters.
he could not make decisions for him self, let alone understand most of what he heard. When we went to the doctors, I had them talk at him, but look to me for an answer. I authorized surgery, etc. All after “asking” him for his permission.
I ultimately had to put him in a long term facility ( lasted only a week).
Now my father had a simple revocable trust and I was added as a co-trustee, so no probate to worry about. A word for those who aren’t aware, being named as a successor trustee in the trust is different from being assigned as a co-trustee while the trustees (my parents) were alive.
if your uncle is executor, he should be able to give permission for you to store them. they haven’t left the estate.

as others have said, ...... I’m not a lawyer or don’t play one on tv.

Last edited:
This...my father had moderate to severe dementia. As I had his power of attorney, his lawyer told me I could act on his behalf on all matters.
he could not make decisions for him self, let alone understand most of what he heard. When we went to the doctors, I had them talk at him, but look to me for an answer. I authorized surgery, etc. All after “asking” him for his permission.
I ultimately had to put him in a long term facility ( lasted only a week).
Now my father had a simple revocable trust and I was added as a co-trustee, so no probate to worry about. A word for those who aren’t aware, being named as a successor trustee in the trust is different from being assigned as a co-trustee while the trustees (my parents) were alive.
if your uncle is executor, he should be able to give permission for you to store them. they haven’t left the estate.
This. It's such a simple solution and some folks are making it difficult. From what I'm reading the op was concerned about having someone else's guns in his safe and not doing an efa10 or Mass transfer......or was thinking it was necessary to do one right away. There are tons of folks that pop onto nes to ask that question. Answer.....you can legally hold someone else's guns in your possession as long as you are properly licensed.

Close the damn thread.

I'm legal, the problem is I'm not listed in a will or a primary beneficiary or anything along those lines with anything to do with him.

My uncle is... The guns technically go to him, but he is unable to get a FID or LTC. He's power of attorney and basically told me that I can have the guns and we can decide what to do with them down the road.

I just want to make sure that I'm good to go if I take possession of them.
If your Uncle has the older man's power of attorney, he can transfer the firearms to an 01FFL, for transfer to any licensed individual your uncle specifies or for liquidation sale to the public.

This. It's such a simple solution and some folks are making it difficult. From what I'm reading the op was concerned about having someone else's guns in his safe and not doing an efa10 or Mass transfer......or was thinking it was necessary to do one right away. There are tons of folks that pop onto nes to ask that question. Answer.....you can legally hold someone else's guns in your possession as long as you are properly licensed.

Close the damn thread.
Right on! Somehow, I keep thinking about that tale of the mountain and the molehill!

Back
Top Bottom