Gun Cleaning

How often does everyone clean their guns after going to the range? I am new to shooting and was cleaning after every trip, but I think that might be a bit much. I shoot about 50-60 rounds of 9mm and about 200-300 rounds of .22.

I was thinking every 2-4 trips would be fine. That seem ok?

what is this cleaning you speak of?

A ruger MK series can go thousands of rounds before needing to be cleaned.

60 rounds? wipe it down and it will be fine.

I definitely do not clean my 22's that often. My match Pardini gets cleaned only 1 or 2 times/year - and I shoot it 1-2/week between Sept-May. A number of the shooters in my league feel that they shoot better a little dirty. Of course not dirty enough to affect function.
My other 22's get cleaned every couple of outings. frequently just run a boresnake through them and swab out the action etc.
My centerfire pistols get cleaned every other outing on average, and my high power rifles get cleaned most outings.

If somebody can invent a easy way to clean revolvers I would be in heaven.

There are some treads like this one around, One was not to long ago "Cleaning Schedule". Maybe you can look some of the answers there.

As Glockaholic asked you. What weapon/s do you want to clean?

Ish.

I thoroughly clean my centerfire guns every time I use them unless I am going to use it again within a day or two.

Rimfires, just a wipedown with an oily cloth around the blued metal.

I just purchased a used shotgun and when I opened it up it looked like it has never been cleaned....ever...Rust and crud all over it looked like it was buried for a few years...I compared it to saving a puppy from an abusive owner. It's not going to be mistreated anymore, I'll nurse it back to health[wink]

To the OP: after every use, or close to it

I wipe down the outside and lubricate but don't clean after each trip to the range. I don't clean .22s very often because I think the cleaning rod does more harm than good and I'm too cheap to buy a 17 caliber rod just for .22s. I like bore snakes.

It depends on the gun and ammo and how many rounds go through it..
Milsurps shooting corrosive ammo HAVE to be cleaned immediately. I never put them back in the safe dirty. My handguns that shoot lead semi wadcutter get cleaned almost every time becasue the ammo is very sooty and dirty.
Anything that shoots jacketed ammo gets cleaned every few trips.

I just detail cleaned NES-006 for the first time since I put it together a year ago...Man, was it filthy. Prior to this, I had just dropped a boresnake down the pipe once in a blue moon and hit it with some CLP or Militec-1...With my luck, now that I've cleaned it, something will break...[grin]

I tend to buy guns that require little in the way of cleaning. I scrub my SOCOM-16 down once a year for example and just field clean it most of the time, (ever 500-rounds or so). I don't like cleaning my guns initially and find it a hassle, but find once I get rolling, I actually enjoy it...

I have a Ruger SR9 and Walther P22

Both are great weapons. Everyone is different, in my case I clean the P22 every 500 rounds, but have to say that if for whatever reason, I only shot it 100 or so rounds and a long period of time will past until next use, I clean it after I finish those 100 or so rounds.

BTW, do you know when your SR9 was manufactured? I am asking because of this, probably you knew but just in case you didn't.

http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/?utm...tent=SR9Recall&utm_campaign=GunblastSR9Recall

Ish.

I used to clean everything every time I used it, but not anymore. As I got older, I realized that there are better things to do than cleaning guns (like shooting them!)[grin]

.22's get cleaned infrequently or only when they malfunction. Everything else gets cleaned when I feel like doing it. The only gun kept very clean is whatever I'm carrying. Don't get the idea that I neglect my guns, I don't. I check fairly frequently for any signs of rust and wipe down any guns that get handled for whatever reason. I'm just not as anal about cleaning as I used to be.

I usually clean my guns when I'm bored on rainy Saturday mornings. I lay them out on the coffee table, pop on the cartoons, and make my kids do most of the work. [smile]

i also shoot a 9mm (sw9ve) and go to the range with 100-200 winchester 115 grain ammo. i run a bore snake through it after every 50rds. i then give it a good cleaning as soon as i get home as this is also my ccw. if my life is on the line, the last thing i need is a malfunction caused by a dirty gun. better safe than sorry i always say.

I usually clean my pistols when they stop working.[rofl]

That's actually close to the truth. Usually I get disgusted by the grim long before they stop working.

Wear your guns out by shooting them, not by cleaning them.

I hit the barrels with a bore snake and a swab of oil after every trip. Wipe down.
Once a year I do a safe clean. Wipe down and check all of them.
Corrosive ammo....clean @ the range. I spread my gun use out. Takes a while to get a few hundred rounds through them.

my .22 rifle i clean about ever couple range trips or 500 rds or so. but i try to wipe it down with oil often so it doesnt rust.

my glock....well i clean the remsport match barrel after i use it...if that counts

This is a good question. I tend to field strip and clean my guns after every time to the range unless I am going right back out.

I have read in some of the gun magazines that you can clean too much. they are never clear about how much is too much.

I clean out the Marlin 60 about ever 500-1,000 rounds...The SKS...every other trip. It doesn't really "need" the cleaning, but it was my first gun and I'd like it to stay in decent shape as long as possible. I've had a Maverick 88 that I bought in September and have put at least 1,000 rounds through...haven't cleaned that yet.

Back
Top Bottom