Gun buy-back's make me sick :(

groundscrapers

NES Member
I was just watching the news and they were talking about a buy-back that was going on in hartford. $75 for working handguns and $25 for working long guns, non working guns and ammo got nothing. As im watching I see a guy holding a bag with either a lcp or kel tec as if he were pinching a dirty diper on his way to throw it out. They then pan across the gun and sure enough is a beautiful beretta in the factory case. $75 looks like a grrrreat deal. :(

http://www.wfsb.com/local-video/index.html?grabnetworks_video_id=4444168

And there is never confirmation that these are destroyed.....

Very suspicious when they distinguish between working and non-working. You know something's afoot.

Sort of OT: Why do they call it a "buy back" program? Did the government ever own these guns? Were they the original owners or manufacturers?

Oh, and I'm going to bring a few thousand dollars with me the next time they announce this in Massachusetts. I plan on standing in front of the line with my back to the "buy back" table and offering double to any sucker that shows up with a decent looking gun.

Very suspicious when they distinguish between working and non-working. You know something's afoot.

That or they don't want to pay out for broken, rusted-shut pieces of crap that can't fire.

Oh, and I'm going to bring a few thousand dollars with me the next time they announce this in Massachusetts. I plan on standing in front of the line with my back to the "buy back" table and offering double to any sucker that shows up with a decent looking gun.

I hope you don't plan on selling them.

Sort of OT: Why do they call it a "buy back" program? Did the government ever own these guns? Were they the original owners or manufacturers?

In CT., it would be perfectly legal to stand there and purchase any firearm from anyone you wanted to if they were willing to sell it to you and the cops couldn't do a damn thing about it. They would not allow you on the property I'm sure but you could stand outside and ask if anyone wanted more dollars than being offered. I've often thought of just posting one in the paper and seeing who and what would show up.

In CT., it would be perfectly legal to stand there and purchase any firearm from anyone you wanted to if they were willing to sell it to you and the cops couldn't do a damn thing about it. They would not allow you on the property I'm sure but you could stand outside and ask if anyone wanted more dollars than being offered. I've often thought of just posting one in the paper and seeing who and what would show up.

I bet half of the guns that show up to these "buy backs" are either beaten rusted closet junk, or stolen.

Everyone says that. We want pictures, or it never happened. Really, do you think the police will take kindly to that?

Everyone says that. We want pictures, or it never happened. Really, do you think the police will take kindly to that?

I bet if you could coordinate it with a local church group you could throw some credibility behind it. Im not sure what it would take to do a FTF sale in CT.

Anyone who would turn a gun into one of these programs most likely does not town the gun by choice. They probably had family or friends die that left them behind or found them in storage etc. We need to start a gun adoption program. Guns all over the world are being neglected.

Anyone who would turn a gun into one of these programs most likely does not town the gun by choice. They probably had family or friends die that left them behind or found them in storage etc. We need to start a gun adoption program. Guns all over the world are being neglected.

X1000,000,000,000,000,000,000

This is great news. I have an "American Double Action" I got when my grandmother in law died. It functions perfectly but I've got hammers that are more finely crafted than this gun.
Its got a lot of surface rust and otherwise looks like it was used as a hammer.

Its like this except nasty:
http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/8744045433/9364545/084.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

So let me now tell you of one of my proudest moments.

I did this in the early 90s when I was going to college in New Haven.

At the time the New Haven PD was paying
$50 for a rifle or shotgun
$100 for a handgun
$200 for an "assault weapon

Here is the beautiful thing. They considered a SKS to be an assault weapon. At the time, Hoffman would sell you an SKS for $109 or a crate of 10 or 12 (I can't remember) for $95 ea.

Thats a profit of between 91 and 105 per gun.
My first run was modest. I bought 2 guns and turned them in for a cool $182 in profit.

It was easy, nobody raised an eyebrow. I asked the cop "this is total amnesty, right? No questions asked, right?" He told me that was correct, however they would run the numbers on all guns to see if they had been reported stolen.
I was confident that wouldn't be a problem for me.

My second run was for a full case. I didn't even bother taking them out of the wood box. i just brought the box in with the rifles still coated in cosmoline.
The cop looked at me like he knew I was working the system. I said to him "no questions asked, right". I walked out with $1260 in profit. . Not bad for 1 morning's work.
The next weekend I did it again with a crate of SKSs. I did feel a little guilty about it, but felt good that I was providing an output for those poor chinese workers and also helping to put a self supporting kid (me) through college.

If the government is dumb enough to give me back some of MY money, then I'm happy enough to play the game. (but always within the law. Any idiot can break the law. The fun is figuring out how to do stuff like this and remain in 100% full and total compliance with all state, federal and local statutes)

I did feel a little guilty about those SKSs going to the crusher. But no worries, the Chinese will make more.

I bet half of the guns that show up to these "buy backs" are either beaten rusted closet junk, or stolen.

That would be one of my biggest concerns, aside from ATF looking at you like an illegal dealer. If you pick up a gun at an FFL and later find out that it was stolen or illegally imported or something, you have plausible deniability. If you got the gun by standing outside a gun buyback program offering more cash than the cops, I don't think it would be as easy to come off as innocent. Everything about that screams "shady."

I can hear the whining when someone buys a gun before the police can get it and the buyer realizes after purchase that there's a scratch or loose screw and wants his $ back.

It's an SKS. Who cares?

Thanks. Thats how i saw it. Its not like I was destroying Garands.

Besides, look at it this way. I took money off the street. Money that would otherwise have been used to destroy potentially valuable or historic firearms. These programs have a fixed amount of funding. I killed a Chinese gun so an American gun could live. ; -)

Last edited:
This is great news. I have an "American Double Action" I got when my grandmother in law died. It functions perfectly but I've got hammers that are more finely crafted than this gun.
Its got a lot of surface rust and otherwise looks like it was used as a hammer.

Its like this except nasty:
http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/8744045433/9364545/084.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

So let me now tell you of one of my proudest moments.

I did this in the early 90s when I was going to college in New Haven.

At the time the New Haven PD was paying
$50 for a rifle or shotgun
$100 for a handgun
$200 for an "assault weapon

Here is the beautiful thing. They considered a SKS to be an assault weapon. At the time, Hoffman would sell you an SKS for $109 or a crate of 10 or 12 (I can't remember) for $95 ea.

Thats a profit of between 91 and 105 per gun.
My first run was modest. I bought 2 guns and turned them in for a cool $182 in profit.

It was easy, nobody raised an eyebrow. I asked the cop "this is total amnesty, right? No questions asked, right?" He told me that was correct, however they would run the numbers on all guns to see if they had been reported stolen.
I was confident that wouldn't be a problem for me.

My second run was for a full case. I didn't even bother taking them out of the wood box. i just brought the box in with the rifles still coated in cosmoline.
The cop looked at me like he knew I was working the system. I said to him "no questions asked, right". I walked out with $1260 in profit. . Not bad for 1 morning's work.
The next weekend I did it again with a crate of SKSs. I did feel a little guilty about it, but felt good that I was providing an output for those poor chinese workers and also helping to put a self supporting kid (me) through college.

If the government is dumb enough to give me back some of MY money, then I'm happy enough to play the game. (but always within the law. Any idiot can break the law. The fun is figuring out how to do stuff like this and remain in 100% full and total compliance with all state, federal and local statutes)

I did feel a little guilty about those SKSs going to the crusher. But no worries, the Chinese will make more.

I don't even care you destroyed 'em, they were Chinese and that's capitalism at its best!

I once got 200 for a old 22 I paid 50 for. Put about a thousand rounds through it. It broke and then I made 150 off of it. Told the Officer I owned it legally and figured it was not worh anything. He was very happy to give me the 200 for it.

Thanks for the support. I am so glad that your intellect limits the creativity of your rebuttal.
As such, I will simply look upon you with sadness. You poor poor little man. So sad.

psst - SKSs are still a dime a dozen.

You're posting on a website that has a large population of Mass. gun owners, who're stuck with a painfully low number of certain types of available guns/magazines. Every one that disappears off the market to go to a random buyback is gone forever. These are the kind of people who are acutely aware of how quickly a supply can dwindle, every loss hurts.

By that same logic, every gun that is sold out of state via gunbroker is gone forever also, right??

Don

p.s. Thats not a rhetorical question. I really want to know if thats the case. Every time someone sells a Kahr or LCP or whatever out of state, its "gone forever" as far as MA residents are concerned, right?

The fact is you've helped destroy historical rifles for a quick buck (don't care if they're chinese). Not only that, but you're bragging that you helped destroy guns here of all places and that money that you made came from tax dollars. If they were actually broken and unsalvageable fine, otherwise I agree with Vellnueve.

Last edited:
By that same logic, every gun that is sold out of state via gunbroker is gone forever also, right??

Don

p.s. Thats not a rhetorical question. I really want to know if thats the case. Every time someone sells a Kahr or LCP or whatever out of state, its "gone forever" as far as MA residents are concerned, right?

In short yes. The chances of a gun like that sold on Gunbroker returning to Mass. are slim to none. In some cases they can come back (documented pre-'98), but in the case of something brand new that's not even on the EOPS list like a P3AT or Kimber, unless someone moves back in with it it's gone for good. When I moved out of Mass. I did a border dump at free state prices to several people, with instructions that the item should stay in Mass. at a fair price. I remember how much time and energy it took me to find certain guns and pre-ban magazines when I lived there, and the supply is low enough already. Even if someone had a Bryco, or a jam-o-matic Sterling .380, or a banged up HiPoint, whatever, I know that there's someone in Mass. who would want one, somewhere, someday. Even a broken gun can be fixed, parts can be ordered online, etc. But once it's gone, it's gone.

SKS's aren't my area of interest, but vellnueve is into milsurps from what I've seen here on NES. I'd imagine he's felt the pinch. Not to mention, the local paper probably ran with pictures of the cases of assault rifles "freshly purchased" that were taken off of the street...

The fact is you've helped destroy historical rifles for a quick buck (don't care if they're chinese). Not only that, but you're bragging that you helped destroy guns here of all places and that money that you made came from tax dollars. If they were actually broken and unsalvageable fine, otherwise I agree with Vellnueve.

I agree with this sentiment.

I hope those SKS rifles were Egyptian contracted. Or North Korean. Just so he was even more of a dumbass doing this.

Gun destruction is gun destruction. And Don not only willingfully destroyed them, but made money for it. Coakley would give you a medal, buddy.

I spend my free time and labor restoring rifles that were once destroyed. And here you are bragging about it, Don. It makes me sick

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom