Gun buy-back's make me sick :(

Well to honest, I got my start shooting Highpower matches with an SKS. I bought it at the Meriden Trading post for $79.00. I used to shot the matches with Norinco ammo and I still have my score tickets. I shot anywhere from 342's to 372's. Mike Stimmler, who was the director back then, sent someone to find out who the guy with the SKS was. The guy comes out to my position and says, "Are you the guy who shot a 372 with an SKS?" I said, "Umm Yeah." (I was 17, I thought I was in trouble for something). Long and short of it, he had me go home and get my Dad and then signed over a State M1A to me (Still have the SKS, and still have the form my Dad signed). The SKS owes me nothing.

It's an SKS. Who cares?

The cops are saying that all the turned in guns will be run through ballistics to check for use in crimes.

Why do I have a hard time believing that?

Oh yea, the departments are barely squeaking by with no money already.

I don't blame you Don. I would have done the same but probably in larger numbers. When your paying for school you gotta do what you gotta do. Now I am not particularly into SKS's but lets say They had a buy back and they were going to give me double the value of my glock I would probably flip it in a heartbeat. Just look at the cash for clunkers. I saw some amazing gmc typhoons get crushed. They were super rare but their value to most people was squat so they went bye bye. Those of you with SKS's your guns just got fractionally more valuable.

Now I am not particularly into SKS's but lets say They had a buy back and they were going to give me double the value of my glock I would probably flip it in a heartbeat.

Those of you with SKS's your guns just got fractionally more valuable.

Yea but glocks are all crap to begin with. You can always just melt down the cheap plastic and reform it again. For milsurp collectors it's about owning, restoring, and protecting a piece of history. The work that went into making each individual rifle, the wars they've been through and the people they've helped to protect.

Now they're just way more expensive to buy and harder to find for collecting so thanks guys. I'm sure Martha has a job for you somewhere.

The cops are saying that all the turned in guns will be run through ballistics to check for use in crimes.

Why do I have a hard time believing that?

Oh yea, the departments are barely squeaking by with no money already.

Based on that then I'm guessing gang-bangers will be lined up to unload their guns.

It'd be one thing if you bought like, say a truckload of jennings or something, and flooded the buybacks with pot metal garbage.... or even those trash can 22s from the local gun shop.... but an SKS? I'm not even an SKS fan and I think even the crappiest SKS is worthy of better treatment than to get sent to a buyback.

-Mike

I agree with this sentiment.

I hope those SKS rifles were Egyptian contracted. Or North Korean. Just so he was even more of a dumbass doing this.

Gun destruction is gun destruction. And Don not only willingfully destroyed them, but made money for it. Coakley would give you a medal, buddy.

I spend my free time and labor restoring rifles that were once destroyed. And here you are bragging about it, Don. It makes me sick

You all seem to be missing one HUGE point. These programs have a specific budget. They run until the money is gone. By "sacrificing" these SKSs, I used up money that would have otherwise been used for other firearms. Most of which I'd rather see survive than an SKS.

Someone asked about SKS being a dime a dozen.
Here's a Norinco on GB, starting bid $300, no reserve, no bids.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=203883577

You all seem to be missing one HUGE point. These programs have a specific budget. They run until the money is gone. By "sacrificing" these SKSs, I used up money that would have otherwise been used for other firearms. Most of which I'd rather see survive than an SKS.

I will confess to one thing though. At the time I thought they were new production guns, not "historic" guns that had been in storage for 40 years. i.e. They'll just make more.

Have you SEEN some of the guns that get turned in? A lot of them are worthless street trash.

That's not a dime a dozen.

I will confess to one thing though. At the time I thought they were new production guns, not "historic" guns that had been in storage for 40 years. i.e. They'll just make more.

Yes, they'll make more. And people in the United States can't get them anymore because they cannot be imported. Comprende?

People like you used the same justification when M-1 Garands, Springfields, Carbines, 1917s, and the like were butchered or destroyed ("they're so cheap and plentiful, who cares?")

I think you might be missing the point. Giving guns to these buy back programs gives them relevance. You supported gun buy backs in general by taking part in one.

Don, please just apologize and move on. Nobody wants to hear more excuses why what you did was justified.

These programs have limited budgets? Those budgets are created by taxpayers and were unrightly allocated to destroy pieces of history for a "safer" community. The more you feed into this, the more fuel they have in the media to say "look what we took off the streets!" in addition to them coming back next year with even deeper tax payer funded pockets.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just put them in a safe for a few years and sell them back to collectors for your much needed profit? It makes me mad enough to see "sporterized" milsurps but this is 10x worse.

1. $300 does not = $0.10. I'm also only getting 1 SKS, not 12 for $300.

2. Your self-important opinion of SKS rifles being worthless and thusly easily sacrificed makes you not only ignorant, but also self-important.

I agree with the profit-per-rifle turned in, but everything else about your actions pisses me off as a rifle enthusiast. And as a tax payer. I hope you didn't fail any classes that we all paid for, jackass.

Last edited:
If it were my board, I'd permanently ban anyone who participated in any gun buyback. Some people can't see the Fu@king forest for the trees.

I'm certainly not going to apologize. I see peoples points. But I had a need at the time and it served what I needed to do. (Pay my way through college)
There's no self importance here. I do still take pleasure in knowing that I gamed a system that paid more for an SKS than for a 1911 or a Glock.
A firearm is an inanimate object. It is property. In the strictest sense, I can do what I see fit with my property. A firearm is neither inherently good nor evil. (Remember, we use that with the antis)
It is a tool. It doesn't have a heart. It doesn't have a soul. Personally, I don't get all weepy about SKSs or AKs, like I do about Garands or M1 Carbines or 1911s, but thats irrelevant. Lets stick to logic. Property/Tools. Period.

I bought two guns off of a guys that said to me, "If I don't sell them I'm going to take them to be destroyed." They were two Stevens 20 Gauge single shotguns. I paid $75.00 for the both of them. I restored one and won a turkey shoot the day I took it out. Almost like it thanked me for saving it. The other has been sitting a very long time and it is next.

My next door neighbor had two rifles, and original all matching number FN M1950 .30-06 Mauser ($75.00) and a Mosin Nagant with a barrel that was shortened by a gunsmith. ($50.00). Both shoot good, the FN is a piece of artwork. If someone is going to get rid of guns (working or not) I buy 'em to save 'em.

Last edited:
I really don't care what other people do with their stuff. If they want to trade it in for beer money, that's their business.

Getting all weepy about what other people do with their 'pieces of history' is gay. It's much better for everybody when people mind their own business.

Liberals love that feel-good false sense of security. If buybacks make them happy enough to not pass more restrictions, then I'm all for buybacks as long as the money doesn't come out of my pocket.

Do you feel good about having other people's paid taxes put your lazy ass through college?

You are pathetic. Your apologies wouldn't mean much anyways.

If I created a car buy back program and I was offering to pay you twice the value of your car would you then jump on it? Im sure most people would. There is nothing pathetic about playing the system. I see welfare recipients do it every day. Im not pissed at them, im pissed at the government for creating such a program.

**Edit**

And what I meant by my original post was that people were trading in guns worth FAR more then the money they got back. Thats the part that irritates me to no end.

If I created a car buy back program and I was offering to pay you twice the value of your car would you then jump on it? Im sure most people would. There is nothing pathetic about playing the system. I see welfare recipients do it every day. Im not pissed at them, im pissed at the government for creating such a program.

**Edit**

And what I meant by my original post was that people were trading in guns worth FAR more then the money they got back. Thats the part that irritates me to no end.

I'm wasting my breath here.

Last edited:
Liberals love that feel-good false sense of security. If buybacks make them happy enough to not pass more restrictions, then I'm all for buybacks as long as the money doesn't come out of my pocket.

I've never heard of a buyback that wasn't funded by our own pockets. I have no idea how buybacks can halt gun restrictions either...they almost always lead to the media making a point about how these evil guns are flooding the street and they need to restrict more. That's always the spin, added to by a pile of scary looking guns in the background. Practically an ad for liberals to restrict us even more.

ETA:
Here's a couple gun buyback covered by local media:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFywk51WYOs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1_i9r52VS8

Here's some memorable quotes:
"Some of these are weapons of war, they have no other purpose but to kill or maim human beings"
"LA is one of the most dangerous cities in the US, but things are getting better because of awareness programs like these"
"The less guns there are, the less violence there is"
"We still have too many acts of violence, and particularly gun and gang violence"

Basically telling anyone in front of a TV that guns are bad and they equal violence. They don't seem like they're ready to just say "we're safe now, let's stop restricting gun rights"

Last edited:
Do you feel good about having other people's paid taxes put your lazy ass through college?

You are pathetic. Your apologies wouldn't mean much anyways.

Lazy?? You're kidding me, right?? I bartended at night and did carpentry in the daytime on days I didn't have class.
I was a typical idiotic, annoying, college age kid, but I was not lazy.

Lets hear your story.

Oh and by the way, the money was not tax money. It nearly never is. Its always some pius liberal "anti violence" private group that pays for these buy backs. I'll happily take their money.
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

If it were my board, I'd permanently ban anyone who participated in any gun buyback. Some people can't see the Fu@king forest for the trees.

So you would like to silence those whose opinions don't match yours. Interesting. Are you sure you're a gun guy?? Because you sound an awful lot like some of my liberal relatives.

Currently "buy-back" money is almost always donate. IIRC, the OP buyback was paid with Kohl's gift cards.

So perhaps Kohls prices are higher to fund this, but I think it is the other way around. They donate profits that they have for "goodwill" and for a tax deduction. so in that indirect sense, it comes from taxpayers.

But also, some of the money might come from drug dealer seizures. PDs could easily spend this in better ways, but probably wouldn't.

Who knows what funding method was used for a buyback back when and SKS sold for about $100.

--jcr

The fact that gift cards are given as the payment does not mean that they're donated. It means that they're purchased with tax money because they don't want to hand out cash.

Back
Top Bottom