Gun Ban

America was like 90% fudds in 1994 though. Also that ban barely went in by the skin of it's teeth. If a mouse had farted in the wrong office in the Senate it would not have been passed.... today the calculus is much different obviously but who knows I think this thread is mostly mental masturbation unless somebody actually drafts a bill that has traction
Most of them don't.

I hope you're correct. If it were anyone other than Biden in the top slot I'd be more inclined to agree, but he has a proven track record of going after guns and minorities. And minors, of course.

We might see a repeat of the 1986 Machine Gun Law.

Some folks will register their lowers with the NFA.

Others wont.

The ones that did will be able to legally sell their lowers for $10,000 each while the rest of the folks risk arrest and confiscation.
The difference is the 1986 ban was a cutoff in new registrations for an item already requiring NFA registration. There was a bump as people geared up to create as many new ones as they could, but nothing compared to what it would be registering tens of millions of existing, non-registered EBRs.

This (and other ways, it could be a death by a thousand slices).

If people do not believe they will find a way around an AWB to effect the same results or worse, they are being completely naive. This is especially true if Dems end up with Senate.
The difference is the 1986 ban was a cutoff in new registrations for an item already requiring NFA registration. There was a bump as people geared up to create as many new ones as they could, but nothing compared to what it would be registering tens of millions of existing, non-registered EBRs.
My bet is many more auto sears were hastily manufactured and registered than complete weapons. ATF, in their twisted logic, consider the coin-sized sears to be the actual "machine guns"!

All that is needed for them to do is repeal the law protecting gun manufacturers from lawsuits. Gun manufacturers are the only industry that have this protection. If successful, they will sue gun manufacturers until all are out of business.

They are not. Pharmaceuticals have a similar protection against being sued for damages caused by vaccines.

I wonder if a registered SBR would be exempt from future EBR registration?

First they would have to pass legislation changing NFA requirements

And along with that you can guarantee that Pro RKBA folks would also raise the spectre that AR lowers dont currently match definition of firearms as we've seen ATF/Feds drop cases in the last couple years when challenged in it

If they are going to attempt to open that pandora's box and a raft of others then its going to turn into a hot fooking media mess not to mention the massive cost associated with hiring people to deal with the "Registration" of firearms, magazines and the tax stamp process.......

As it stands the dems only have ~10 seat majority in the US House........and gun control is a guaranteed loser when it comes to elections......2022 is a mid term election and the party in control of the WH almost always loses seats.......

If they want to push gun control its going to cost the dems politically especially with all of the new dem gun owners out there

This describes the situation now. I am cautiously optimistic.

If a Republican President can, through executive fiat, order the ATF to ban bumpstocks, which they did without authority AND with the illogical rationale a non firearm, an accessory, was actually a machine gun, then why would you think a Democratic President couldn’t do the same to ban AR’s?

If your answer is that she has no authority to do so. That no reasonable person could ever possibly twist the NFA into somehow meaning an AR was actually a machine gun, (because clearly they aren’t), then you don’t have a good answer. Truth, facts, logic, and the law play an extremely small to non existence part in decisions made by people in power.

And along with that you can guarantee that Pro RKBA folks would also raise the spectre that AR lowers dont currently match definition of firearms as we've seen ATF/Feds drop cases in the last couple years when challenged in it

If they are going to attempt to open that pandora's box and a raft of others then its going to turn into a hot fooking media mess not to mention the massive cost associated with hiring people to deal with the "Registration" of firearms, magazines and the tax stamp process.......

As it stands the dems only have ~10 seat majority in the US House........and gun control is a guaranteed loser when it comes to elections......2022 is a mid term election and the party in control of the WH almost always loses seats.......

If they want to push gun control its going to cost the dems politically especially with all of the new dem gun owners out there

Normally i would agree with all that , but if Trump actually loses this , you won't see a fair election in the country again.
You don't have to worry about losing a seat when you can cheat you way to victory.

Some people out there own hundreds of lowers.

I presume they can be kept but once made into a rifle - then you can SBR them.

I wonder if Biden will demand that ALL lowers must be registered.

That would bankrupt many people.

The government can't demand a buy back for something the government never gave us in the first place.

Lots of people will be upset and that is when a insurgency starts.

Didn't go well for the US in the Middle East.

just like start of the Obama reign, promise the Moon, then during the 8 years deliver moon pie candy, but be the best gun salesperson ever.

there is only one mention of the Constitution:

basically whatever the f*** he does is constitutional because Joe knows it, he sniffed it.
Makes me want to buy a gun.

If there was any to buy.....

This bullshit tinfoiler phantasm of ARs becoming NFA devices is full retard ... of course the NRA will use it to Gin up a funding drive so we can pay for more of shit head WLP's wardrobe or whatever..... [rofl]

Anyone who thinks it's going to get to that point without serious political and voter resistance is smoking some serious crack...

This bullshit tinfoiler phantasm of ARs becoming NFA devices is full retard ... of course the NRA will use it to Gin up a funding drive so we can pay for more of shit head WLP's wardrobe or whatever..... [rofl]

Anyone who thinks it's going to get to that point without serious political and voter resistance is smoking some serious crack...

I know 1994 was over 25 years ago, but it really isn't that long. Not to mention 2004. What makes you possibly think this is out of the realm of possibility? Have you not seen what's been happening in general in the US this year?

I think the order of effort will be as below.. For those of you in MA keep in mind outside of the Iron Curtain gun ownership is radically different, there are a lot of things they want to do that already exist in a communist state but not federally.

1. Universal background checks, this probably flies unfortunately because I just don't see all Republicans resisting it.

2. A standard AWB with grandfathering, possibly mags in there. This highly controversial and massive bill will waste about a year and likely is too controversial to get through even a 50/50 senate - some democrat may defect for fear of re-election. Republicans tend to draw a line here, it is too inflammatory of a position today. If it passed our SCOTUS likely then tosses it and The End.

3. Ghost guns and online parts. I bet this boils down to a compromise of background checks required for make your own reciever kits. I think it could pass unfortunately.

4. A voluntary buyback program, probably wastes about a year as democrats attempt to pass one just to say they did.

5. Somewhere after all that garbage maybe they take a shot at NFA for semi autos and it simply has no hope of success. On paper the gun fearing public won't really understand it even, ie it doesn't take guns away is just a "tax". It is a lot of effort for something that won't generate votes.

Some people out there own hundreds of lowers.
. . .
I wonder if Biden will demand that ALL lowers must be registered.
That would bankrupt many people.
The initial NFA 1934 and the various expansions of the NFA each came with tax-free registration, or even an amnesty period.

Even when the "Street Sweeper" was reclassified as a DD, existing owners were allowed to register it under the NFA without paying the $200.

I think the order of effort will be as below.. ...

1. Universal background checks, this probably flies unfortunately because I just don't see all Republicans resisting it.
  2. A standard AWB with grandfathering, possibly mags in there. This highly controversial and massive bill will waste about a year and likely is too controversial to get through even a 50/50 senate - some democrat may defect for fear of re-election. Republicans tend to draw a line here, it is too inflammatory of a position today. If it passed our SCOTUS likely then tosses it and The End.
  3. Ghost guns and online parts. I bet this boils down to a compromise of background checks required for make your own reciever kits. I think it could pass unfortunately.
  4. A voluntary buyback program, probably wastes about a year as democrats attempt to pass one just to say they did.
I agree on most points -- I can see enough (R) opposition to either hold off or water down UBC, and the "buyback" gets funded with a few hundred million and wastes most of it in giveaway grants to the Brady Bunch and Demanding Moms.

I know 1994 was over 25 years ago, but it really isn't that long. Not to mention 2004. What makes you possibly think this is out of the realm of possibility? Have you not seen what's been happening in general in the US this year?
The original fed AWB was pretty small in scope. There literally was almost no ground enforcement of the AWB at the gun owner level unless the states took it upon themselves to do so. Manufacturers were still smuggling in/rugsweeping mags and passing them off as preban, etc. It didn't cost the feds shit to implement the 94 awb either. Not to mention it barely passed, by the skin of its teeth. They had to put a sunset clause in it for it to even pass.

2004? The attempts to renew tbe AWB died a quick, horrible death, most pols, even democrats, were reluctant to sponsor a renewal bill. It's basically political herpes. Nobody wanted to get the herp.

The idea of mandating registration (and tax collection) for like 30 million guns or whatever it is probably much higher number by now, is retarded. You would have to give the ATF a billion dollar budget for it. Good luck getting that money.

Not to mention the gun mafia will not allow it. A full on ban is a threat to their sales.

I mean I get where you're coming from we have radical leftists burning and destroying shit and rigging elections sure, but some point the rubber meets the road when it comes to lawmakers in the political reality of actually passing legislation. If things deteriorate further I could see this kind of garbage being more plausible 4-8 + years down the road.... but now? If you REALLY want to worry, think about shit like national ERPO (state ERPOS don't follow people or make them fed PPs) and UBC. Things they can get fudds and some dumber Americans to suck for because it's easier to hide the evil in those things. The ERPO shit is particularly bad because they already have court decisions that reinforce Lautenburg, and ERPO would just be an expansion of that.

Not to mention the gun mafia will not allow it. A full on ban is a threat to their sales.
This is something which I never got about how the antis always insist the NRA is the lobbying arm of gun manufacturers...

Wouldn't a full-on ban by name and feature incorporating a "buy back out" of guns already owned mean increased sales of net new firearms?

No. The idea of a mandatory govt buy is to combine it with a ban on new sales and get these out of the hands of unimportant people.

Agree with all that but another potential pie in the sky plan B, especially if SCOTUS makes a ban unconstitutional, would be skip the ban but move to NFA everything. Then like pre 86 for machine guns, nothing is banned rather is all severely infringed.

Odds of the whole semi auto NFA thing today I think are really low but such might stand greater odds of being constitutional.

She probably made a deal with the devil to keep her seat. Having faith in proven squishy Rs is a recipe for disappointment.
Or she got a lot of calls from pro gun constituents that said she's gone if she votes yes and with how close the elections are for her in Maine, she wouldn't last without the pro gun vote.

Between her and Romney, Romney makes her look like Annie Oakley.

The issue is for a decrepit Republican senator in a state with a Dem governor, someone like Pat Roberts (Kansas) or Mitch McConnell, if they die, then their replacement is a Dem and with Romney it's basically a 50-50 tie and VP Harris is the deciding vote and I don't for a moment believe the Dems give shit about using the nuclear option, nor do I think Romney cares if he gets another term because he is a RINO and is a Democrat sleeper agent waiting to f*ck us over at the right moment and so far he hasn't been able to because the opportunity hasn't presented itself yet.

I think it is unlikely that Biden will get to implement his full gun control plan because repubs have the senate (for now). And the courts would likely stop some of it.

But I think it is likely that he will be able to implement at least some of it. My guess is he will be able to ban imports, online sales, and he will crack down on builds somehow.
Imports are ATF's baby, so yeah, I can see those getting restricted, 80% lowers too, but online sales is interstate commerce and so long as the guns are shipping to FFL's, there's nothing illegal about it.

Basically everything that can be done is whatever can be interpreted by ATF thru the NFA and GCA, which puts braced pistols and semi autos at risk of being NFA regulated items.

If a Republican President can, through executive fiat, order the ATF to ban bumpstocks, which they did without authority AND with the illogical rationale a non firearm, an accessory, was actually a machine gun, then why would you think a Democratic President couldn’t do the same to ban AR’s?

If your answer is that she has no authority to do so. That no reasonable person could ever possibly twist the NFA into somehow meaning an AR was actually a machine gun, (because clearly they aren’t), then you don’t have a good answer. Truth, facts, logic, and the law play an extremely small to non existence part in decisions made by people in power.
The difference with AR's and bump stocks is that millions of people have AR or AR type rifles while a few thousand had a bumpstock. They went after a small group of people over bump stocks, but going after AR's... it would be so unpopular it might cause a rebellion. Depends on how they do it, they can't classify a semi auto rifle that has a 16" barrel, 26" OAL as an SBR or an AOW, so all they've got is machine gun, but the issue with saying an AR/AK is a machine gun because it can simulate full auto fire is a stretch and because of Hughes they can't be registered and thus all AR/AK and other similar rifles are illegal.

That would start a civil war, but it's clear after this election the Democrats don't give a shit about anything other than their own power. SCOTUS could strike it down, but Biden/Harris could ignore that ruling and still order ATF to confiscate AR's and Congress certainly wouldn't step in to impeach because you're not going to find 10 to 15 Democrat senators to vote to impeach and military generals enjoy their pensions and benefits too much.

So, I'd be concerned about semi autos.

Back
Top Bottom