• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Accoutrement Organization Ideas

Over the past couple of years of increasing interest in the hobby and sport, I've picked up a fair bit of gun-related bullsh*t that has managed to work its way all over my house. It's gotten noticeably worse over the last two or three months. Right now, having a couple of small projects in flight waiting for parts, my dining room table would look to the uninitiated like I'm preparing for Ragnarok. I fear for the sanity of my cleaning lady, who, in a stunning display of discretion, hasn't said a word about it, but dutifully dusts around everything.

I've got gun cabinets and locked ammo storage adequately worked out, it's the rest of the stuff that I'm thinking about.

Right now, I've got a closet shelve taken up by a pile of holsters and bags of barely-compatible kydex parts. I've filled a small cabinet's of worth of cleaning stuff. I'm not even sure where is a good place to store my extra AR upper (not to mention the one I'm planning on getting).

There's also the various individual tools, repair and enhancement components and extra parts, books and some DVDs, various documents, and probably a bunch of other nonsense I'm forgetting. (I'm ignoring, for the moment, the largest bits of stuff that needs to be schlepped to the practice range or for a day of competition, depending on what I want to shoot. I've been hiding gun cases behind the couch.)

I've just ordered a cheap harbor freight workbench that I'll put in the basement just for cleaning and maintenance so I can stick a vice on it, and have a place other than the dining room table to work on, but I'm certain it's going to become a mess instantly if left unchecked.

So, the question for discussion is: What do other people do to organize their stuff?

Pretty much the same as you. Throw in my camping equipment, motorcycle equipment, metal detecting equipment, electronics type hobby stuff and my canned goods that don't fit in the cupboard and my place looks exactly like the bachelor pad it is. Oh yeah, and piles of woodworking tools that don't yet have a home in the basement.

Some friends came over one day and one said "This is a man's kitchen. You've got a blender next to the chisels on one side of the sink, knives on a wall mounted magnet and god knows what on the other side of the sink". The "god knows what" were some of my sharpening stones and probably an axe. Somewhere in there was a square inch reserved for food preparation.

Clutter isn't clutter if you know where everything is! Looks like you've got the important stuff stored on the up n up. As long as you know where the buggout bag is in case the SHTF it's all good!

I have my stuff on just the metal / particle board garage shelving you can get anywhere.

Get a tool box or two.

RlFhoMV.jpg

Conspicuous vs. inconspicuous storage is the real question to your dilemma.

I prefer inconspicuous.

In Radioman's photo you see a panel or two of peg-board. Peg-board panels in a secure closet make great storage for the accessories that go with gun-ownership.
If you have the skill, or the money to have a current closet converted, or a new one built you should be able to neatly store all your gear and a nice strong safe for the actual guns.

A steel door with a steel frame that has a sturdy lock and deadbolt will give you a little peace when you sleep.

But remember, all you do to secure your gear can be defeated by a moron with the will and enough time.

~Matt

Lol, you'd stroke out on the spot if you saw my garage...
I'm with you there. I'm like a Asaltweapon, I can't stand clutter. So I just avoid my garage. I'll clean it and then a week later it's like WTF! All it takes is one project or going camping for a weekend. And then it looks like I got robbed.

Great question...sorry don't have a good answer.

For me, it's magazines, magazines, magazines...got to be a better way than rubber bands and a shoebox ;-)
AR, AK, Mini14, 1911, Shield9 * 2, Glock26, xD45, xDs9, and a pair of Sd9ve's. They all have a MINIMUM of 10 magazines each, more for the rifles. Add a few other rifles like 22's, Hi-points in 9 & 45, and magazine storage is like herding cats.

i haven't seen my dining room table in years. i tumble brass on one end of it, the rest is my filing cabinet. wait until you get close to 50 years of accumulated stuff. i gave up trying to be neat and organized decades ago. cardboard boxes are my best friends.

So, the question for discussion is: What do other people do to organize their stuff?

Get a wife. A couple of boxes of ammo on the counter or my range bag in the front hallway for more than 24 hours earns me the ice queen treatment.

I once even made the mistake of cleaning my rifles on the dining room table.

I've picked up 5-count-em-f-i-v-e of these Sterilite 3 Drawer Carts at yard sales for between $1 and $4 each. (I don't even try to bargain).

PD1_28308002.jpg

They're stackable when you don't add the casters. (We know because four of them are stacked in the basement, yet to be filled).

And a month or two ago, Harbor Freight actually came up with a new cheesy ChiCom product -
the Tactical Ammo/Utility Box:

64113_I.jpg

(We'll all pause here to LOL about the "tactical").

From the photos it seems like the hellspawn of their Ammo Dry Box jumping a J. Random top-tray toolbox, and then receiving the kind of outer lid compartment that's popular in tackle/tool boxes as a dowry in hopes that someone will take it off their hands.

It is lockable, but if the top tray handle does protrude through the lid, it must not be waterproof.

I currently have a used top-tray toolbox missing the top-tray for a range box. But I'll be eyeing one or two of these monstrosities as a replacement: the toolbox's latch doesn't click with authority, and one of these days it's going to dump all of my stuff when I pick it up (probably into the mixture of gravel and gravel-colored brass in the range parking lot).

I put lots of stuff on top of the fridge, as she can’t reach it there. Other than that, yeah, shit all over the house. I’m ok with it

That's not a bad idea if you think of it. Most refrigerators have those stupid little cabinets with the two doors that sit waaay back on the wall.
I don't recall that being a B&E honeypot spot either. I just keep old cheap glass flower vases from anniversaries up there.
I smell a handy ammo dump...

Lol. Not mine, but who is going to drag a kitchen chair over there to check its contents.
Not to mention fighting with the dust bunnies...
refrigerator-cabinet-height-over-fridge-cabinet-refrigerator-cabinet-height-refrigerator-cabinet-opening-height.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom