Guestimates on cost for rail mount/scope install

To the 80%+ percent of you who gave me great info (and even offered to help,) thank you very much. I learned a lot I hadn't even considered. đź‘Ť

To the remaining trolls who sit around angrily 💩-talking a legitimate, novice question or build configuration, realize this is a HOBBY to some. I'm not your Dad (or priest?) I didn't make you this way. 🤙

What is their target customer demographic? Who on earth is both smooth brained enough and rich enough to drop half a grand on rings? HA III aluminum is the same shit anywhere you get it. UTG airsoft rings, or even Leupold rings you can find for $20 off Amazon. Get a little bottle of blue locktite and you're gtg.
Plenty here “rich enough” to drop $500 on rings, another several $$$ on mounts/rails /scopes and still have a “pos wont zero thread” telling us all about it

To the 80%+ percent of you who gave me great info (and even offered to help,) thank you very much. I learned a lot I hadn't even considered. đź‘Ť

To the remaining trolls who sit around angrily 💩-talking a legitimate, novice question or build configuration, realize this is a HOBBY to some. I'm not your Dad (or priest?) I didn't make you this way. 🤙
Post pic of the final set up.

Definitely worth doing yourself. A Weaver Scope Mount Kit and a Tipton gun vise will serve you forever.

Warne Maxima rings for me. All steel , very well built and about $75ish.
That's all I use. Rock solid. Under 100 dollars for steel. I've used the easy removable ones as well for a bit more and they work great if you need to pop the scope off.
I do not use aluminum mounts or rings for anything. They are probably fine, I prefer steel. I have used Leupold turn in mounts as well for a nice finished look on my finer wood rifles.

I've never lapped a scope ring in my life. Ive got about 10 rifles with scopes. Ive done about 25 or 30 mountings at least for me and others. Never had a problem with attaining zero, never had a scope break. Never had to shim. Zero with like 3 shots after a quick boresight. Takes about 10 mins for me to mount and boresight as scope if everything is drilled and tapped. No super special tools. I did buy a tourque wrench for the rings but have only used that on my last 3 mounts. really not needed, just don't be an idiot with the driver.

I see all these special levels, squares, tools etc for scope mounting and I don't get it. Mount it loose, get the eye relief right, pull it up a few times and make sure the crosshairs are verticle and horizontal usually in reference to a wall stud in my shop, and tighten the rings using some blue on the screws. Not that hard.

I guess if I was spending some retarded amount like 12 grand I might think about lapping and all that. But there is no reason to do that. I can't even fathom why anyone would buy glass that
expensive. Or rings for 500 dollars. Waste of money.

There is difference between $100 Vortex Diamondback (what i use) and $2000 Swarovski for sure. But for most general hunting in the east.....the midrange Vortex is fine.

Go out West or a long sniper setup type thing and you might want to up the ante on your glass for sure, but not to the tune of 12K.

Last edited:
I do take the time to ensure the optic is level with the action. Where i occasionally shoot out to 1k yds you want your holds consistent and level so as to not introduce "cant" . You can buy an inexpensive combination square to perform the leveling task. You also need some type of secure gun vise.

Back
Top Bottom