GSG-5SD declared NFA weapon by BATFE.

If you take the shroud off and send it in, in addition to breaking a law by mailing it, won't you also now be in possession of an SBR?

Oh for crying out loud, is this for real? What should we really be doing if we have one of these (I'm not admitting to anything -- just hypothetical)?

It looks really silly without the shroud though. What's an owner of this supposed to do?

Isn't it also illegal in MA to have a silencer regardless of paying the $200 tax or not? And, I bet MA probably goes by the federal definition of silencer? Therefore, if the definition changes to declare something a silencer, it would suddenly be illegal by default in MA?

Or am I overthinking the problem?

Jesus Christ guys take off the tin foil hats!

#1.
If you take the shroud off and send it in, in addition to breaking a law by mailing it, won't you also now be in possession of an SBR?
How the frick would removing a fake suppressor "barrel shroud" make it an SBR?

#2.
Oh for crying out loud, is this for real? What should we really be doing if we have one of these (I'm not admitting to anything -- just hypothetical)?
Isn't it also illegal in MA to have a silencer regardless of paying the $200 tax or not? And, I bet MA probably goes by the federal definition of silencer? Therefore, if the definition changes to declare something a silencer, it would suddenly be illegal by default in MA?

Or am I overthinking the problem?

You are way over thinking the problem. Lets assume "you" own the effected item ( hypothetical "you" of course). You are now in possession of an illegal "device"...what "defense" would you prefer to stand behind?
1. Keep it and hope ATF never comes looking for it, if they do you need to explain why you ignored the notice to return the "illegal" part. Which as you note violates federal and MA laws.
2. Properly destroy it yourself, hope ATF never comes looking for it, and if they do some how try to prove you destroyed it yourself.
3. Do as ATI/ATF ask, return the part to them, where they will document the return, and send you a legal replacement part, if ever questioned about it you have the paper trail to say "I returned it as requested, see...", and if you do that and still think MA is going to hunt you down for some sort of "past possession" of a supressor charge, there is probably nothing I can say to calm your fears (perhaps you could point me to all those who were charged with possessing unlawful MG's, after they returned thier Akins spring)...

As long as the tin foil hat isn't on too tight, returning it for a legal replacement doesn't seem too risky...

It looks really silly without the shroud though. What's an owner of this supposed to do?
Thats why ATI will send you a new legal fake suppressor...

guy 1: What do you think, barrel shroud on or off? .

guy 2: I don't think it's gonna make much difference.

guy 1: Well I do see, because when it's off I kinda feel like a p---y, you know what I'm saying. And when it's on it it it feels like, I dunno, mean or something. When I kill this somebitch I wanna feel good about myself.....

Last edited:
Because I "fricken" thought the whole thing came off.

Nope... I hypothetically just tried it and all it does is fully expose a thin ugly-looking shiny barrel. Looks silly... I'd be embarrassed to bring it to the range like that.

great point! talk about lose-lose. not matter what you do your breaking a law.

The shroud is not part of the barrel. (least, last I knew... ) unless it acts as an "extension". Which is doubtful, because then it wouldn't get Title I status even as shipped. (A barrel that is below NFA length with an easily removable extension would be "This is an SBR" by BATFE standards. )

-Mike

Jesus Christ guys take off the tin foil hats!
Can I point out the irony here? You are suggesting that people are overly concerned when the ATF is declaring non-functional components to be NFA thus placing you in immediate violation of both state and Federal law which have no exception for "unless you didn't mean it and/or we changed the definition mid-stream"

Can I point out the irony here? You are suggesting that people are overly concerned when the ATF is declaring non-functional components to be NFA thus placing you in immediate violation of both state and Federal law which have no exception for "unless you didn't mean it and/or we changed the definition mid-stream"

The only consolation prize is that even with the birdbrained BATFE declaration declaring it an NFA device, the odds are against actually getting successfully prosecuted for possessing it. (What jury is going to believe it is a suppressor?) Problem is with BATFE if you are not independently wealthy, and you make it to court, even if you are acquitted you still lose.

-Mike

my point is there is very little reason for people to get overly concerned by this issue, the reality is this happens "all the time" (OK well quite alot), and as I joked in my post, how many people have been charged for some sort of "possession" after they complied with whatever "recall" the manufacturer/atf sets up.

Examples off the top of my head:
Akins Accelorator
Coles Uzi Kits
Interordnance PPSH kits
Interordnance L1A1 Kits
IMA Maxim Sideplates
Street Sweeper reclassification
Walther P22 replacement "grips/frames"
BPR MG34 upper w/ m16 = post sample

Again take off the tin foil hats, get your replacement fake suppressor and move on, its not a big deal...

Back
Top Bottom