GSG-5SD declared NFA weapon by BATFE.

J

Jimmy2Times

I know this is probably a mistake, posting this on this site, but here is something owners and potential buyersof the GSG-5SD need to be aware of. GSG-5SDs are now considered NFA weapons by the BATFE. If you are unaware of what that means, please feel free to PM me and I will explain it to you. In any case, if you own a GSG-5SD I advise you to follow the directions in the below instructions exactly. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE SD MODEL AT THIS TIME. Sorry if this has already been posted.

To all retail customers:

On January 2010 American Tactical Imports Inc received official notification from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and explosives that the original barrel shroud (aka: fake suppressor) supplied with your GSG 5 SD model must be replaced. It has been determined that this shroud is regulated under the National Firearms Act. American Tactical will provide a replacement shroud at no charge for each GSG 5 SD model sold or currently in inventory.

Consumers in possession of a GSG 5 SD model with the original shroud in place on the firearm are now in violation of the NFA. To avoid continued violation of the NFA, ATI asks that all persons in possession obtain a replacement shroud as soon as possible. We anticipate arrival of the new shrouds to begin by the middle of February 2010.

IMPORTANT: THE ORIGINAL SD MODEL SHROUD MUST BE RETURNED ACOMPANIED BY THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER BEFORE A REPLACEMENT SHROUD IS ISSUED. THE DIAMETER OF THE SD SHROUD IS 1-9/16”. DO NOT RETURN THE SMALLER CARBINE SHROUD.

WHAT TO DO:

If possible return your old shroud to the dealer where purchased and show him this notice. The shroud will be returned to ATI along with a list of serial numbers from the guns that the shrouds were removed. ATI will send replacements to the dealer for pick up at your convenience; ATI will be sending replacements as fast as logistics allow. If your dealer is out of business or difficult to reach, or you purchased your gun used, from a consumer, return the shroud directly by US mail or UPS to American Tactical Imports Inc. 100 Airpark Drive Rochester, NY 14624.

PLEASE TRY NOT TO CALL US. We will provide comprehensive information on our web site www.americantactical.us , and www.ar15.com or by e-mail to [email protected]

REMEMBER, INCLUDE THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER WITH EACH SHROUD OR A REPLACEMENT WILL NOT BE ISSUED.

This action IS NOT being instituted through any fault and is strictly due to NFA compliance. American Tactical will assume the responsibility to satisfy the requirements in an effort to minimize the impact on our customers and protect your investment.

We at American Tactical Imports Inc. sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this unfortunate situation.

Sincerely,
Anthony DiChario
President C.E.O. retailcandoc.021210

Didn't the SD versions cost more? That's not going to sit well.

ETA: Where did you find this? ATI is still selling the SD model of the 522 on their site.

Last edited:
From what I understand, BATFE specifically instructed ATI NOT to post this info on their site. But that is strictly hearsay. You can find the actual ruling on the ATF website, www.atf.gov.

Yes, the Akins accelerator was a cool device. I had the pleasure of firing them a couple of times. And don't forget the AW-Sim, BATFE shut them down too. AW-Sim was a chassis that you put a 1919 or AK variant in and it bump fired the weapon to simulate full auto. It worked in a similar fashion to the Akins Accelerator.

From what I understand, BATFE specifically instructed ATI NOT to post this info on their site. But that is strictly hearsay. You can find the actual ruling on the ATF website, www.atf.gov.

Yes, the Akins accelerator was a cool device. I had the pleasure of firing them a couple of times. And don't forget the AW-Sim, BATFE shut them down too. AW-Sim was a chassis that you put a 1919 or AK variant in and it bump fired the weapon to simulate full auto. It worked in a similar fashion to the Akins Accelerator.

can you provide a DIRECT LINK from the atf website that shows this ruling? I just searched on their site and was unable to find anything. I also was unable to see ANYTHING about this on the ATI website. Please provide some non-hearsay proof?

I know this is probably a mistake, posting this on this site, but here is something owners and potential buyersof the GSG-5SD need to be aware of. GSG-5SDs are now considered NFA weapons by the BATFE. If you are unaware of what that means, please feel free to PM me and I will explain it to you. In any case, if you own a GSG-5SD I advise you to follow the directions in the below instructions exactly. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE SD MODEL AT THIS TIME. Sorry if this has already been posted.

Stuff like this really can never be posted too much, but yeah there is a thread on this already...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/92452-GSG-5-SD-NFA-Act-Problems-CTX

can you provide a DIRECT LINK from the atf website that shows this ruling? I just searched on their site and was unable to find anything. I also was unable to see ANYTHING about this on the ATI website. Please provide some non-hearsay proof?

I can't find it anywhere either.

Me wonder if dis a big joke

Goes to show how ignorant our political elite are, they decide something is against the NFA because it has a scary looking barrel shroud.

ATF really should be the name of a convenience store....

"OUT OF OUR COLD DEAD HANSDS!!!!"*

*unless you take them one by one by making them illegal. then we'll jump through whatever hoops you want us to to turn them in.

damn cowards. all of us.

Goes to show how ignorant our political elite are, they decide something is against the NFA because it has a scary looking barrel shroud.

ATF really should be the name of a convenience store....

They also initially decided said barrel shroud was NOT illegal or scary. But that was before the H&K lawsuit...

i've spoken to 2 different dealers, neither of them have heard anything
about this, per the instructions given by ati, on the other forum,
we are supposed to bring the shroud to dlr where we bought the sd model
but if they don't know why i'm brining it in then theres a problem.
has anyone spoken to a dealer that has actually been told anything about this?
i think people are jumping the gun on this.

garyz

They also initially decided said barrel shroud was NOT illegal or scary. But that was before the H&K lawsuit...

But wait didnt the ATF say the Akins accelerator was legal too, It was legal because it only fired one shot every pull of the trigger and no modifications where made to the trigger or action of the rilfe, No wait we cant have that because if it works for the ruger 10/22 then it will work for the AK-47 ect. ect .ect.. Talk to anybody who bought an Akins accelerator and ask them how it feels to get it shoved up the ass by the ATF. The ATF changes its mind more than most people change underwhere. Lets See a non functioning barrel shroud that looks like a Suppressor no harm done , Wait we cant have that what if someone makes a real suppressor and we wont be able to tell. Hell we better start doing something about those Ruger p22 fake suppressors too. No wait its legal for today , we will screw them another day . We at the ATF want to seem reasonable and want people to think of us as friends, we hardly ever kick puppies and kittens anymore we are nice now just like the IRS . Can't we all just get along ?

Doesn't anyone find it odd that it specifically says not to contact ATI, and ATI has no info on their site? And what about the timing, with this popping up on a long weekend? This smells like a hoax to me.

Doesn't anyone find it odd that it specifically says not to contact ATI, and ATI has no info on their site? And what about the timing, with this popping up on a long weekend? This smells like a hoax to me.

damn right. since when is ar15.com known for press releases from the ATF?

"Oh hey guys, ATF here. We just want to tell you at the ar15 community that SD MP5's in .22 are illegal. We dont have the time to tell anyone else, so can you guys do it for us? Please don't look for an official posting thats easy to find on our website or ATIs."

[rofl]

OK, I actually called ATI, cuz screw them and their " don't call us" policy, I want to know the truth of this or not. I got a confirmation by phone that yes, the fake suppressor is now being considered an NFA item.

Last edited:
The ATF is gay.

Now that's just unfair to gays.

Some of them love firearms.
copyofd109q049sz9.jpg

Last edited:
Now can I ask the obvious question... If its a fake supressor then why is it NOW an NFA item? Wouldn't that make all these airsoft silencers illegal as well.

Now can I ask the obvious question... If its a fake supressor then why is it NOW an NFA item? Wouldn't that make all these airsoft silencers illegal as well.

Ironically, GSG started out as an Airsoft manufacturer and for that reason, it has been oftentimes cited as one of the reasons for the problems with the GSG-5 product line.

Don't try to make logic out of the ATF's determinations. This is the same agency that managed to get a shoestring turned into an NFA device.

-Mike

OK, I got a confirmation by phone that yes, the fake suppressor is now being considered an NFA item.

What about the fake suppressors for the HK94? [thinking]
I have seen ones that look identical to GSG -5SD fake suppressors, are they next?

As others have stated the problem is the GSG "shroud" in question, is it is basicly a suppressor without "guts", unlike most fake suppressors which are "solid" built "tubes"...

As a matter of fact "funtioning" detachable airsoft/paintball/airgun suppressors are illegal and have been for quite some time...there is a letter around to back that up...

This is true if the airsoft "silencer" is hollow. If it is of 1 piece solid construction then it is legal. According to the ATF, a suppressor doesn't necessarily have to function with more than 1 round fired to be considered a suppressor.

As a matter of fact "funtioning" detachable airsoft/paintball/airgun suppressors are illegal and have been for quite some time...there is a letter around to back that up...

Back
Top Bottom