Green member STOLE MY MONEY! Beware of 4406packman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated my post so as to not appear uncouth

If I'm not wrong, those are marketed toward people who want to ride motorcycles, but don't want to learn how to ride motorcycles. You can operate them on a standard license.
If it has fewer than 4 wheels, it's a motorcycle under federal law. State licensing requirements vary, but I think all states require an M endorsement for a conventional trike (one wheel up front, motorcycle saddle, two driven wheels in back).

Spyders (reverse trikes, two steered wheels, one driven wheel in back, but with M/C-style controls) are motorcycles in most states. Slingshots and others like them (same layout, but with auto-style controls) are cars in some states, motorcycles in others.

The one I can't figure out are those motorcycles fitted with outriggers--training wheels, as I call them. They're faux trikes. They also have four wheels on the ground, which means the feds would regard them as passengers cars if they were being imported, and also for required safety equipment. But, they're all aftermarket conversions, so I don't know how different states would treat them.

Remember the Elio? Its biggest downfall was that it was legally a motorcycle and required an M endorsement in most states. Well, that and the fact that it was a pyramid scam from the beginning, but that's another story...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom