GPS

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
I need a little education on GPS'. I've been toying with idea for some time but I can't see spending $400 on a unit.

I do, however, want one that is pratical for use in the air (flying experimental aircraft), on sea (on a boat), on land (typical land nav), and for use when traveling by vehicle.

From my limited reserach I believe a few things are necessary - internal memory, upgradable memory (SD card?), mapping and PC capable. Is my assumption correct or do I need more or less? One thing I don't need is color.

I found a Brunton Atlas that appears to be everything I need at a very reseaonable price as far as GPS' are concerned. Anyone know about these?

Don't know anything specific about the Brunton, but from what I've been looking at your prices seem either a little out of date or higher end than where I'm looking. Cobra, Geko and Magellon all have handheld models starting under $150 with decent memory (250-500+ waypoints) and PC interface. All but the lowest end models have loadable map software.

Ken

Ken - Thanks for the reply. I was looking at Magellan Sportrak and Garmin eTrek Legend when I came across the Brunton Atlas. The Brunton falls in between the price ($170) with 1,000 waypoints and 10 routes.

I've been useing Garmin Legend for the past four years. All over the US and the Middle East. Worked great here there and eveywhere including in aircraft. Fixed and rotor. Beat the piss out of it, painted it, dropped it, and it still works great for me.

I have the newer Garmin ETrex Vista C.

Love it. USB download is fast. Color screen is easy to read. Navigation system is precise and easy to use. Only down side is that 24meg of memory can not hold all of the street data of Massachusetts. Shucks, I have to leave out Boston and not go there.

Have used it all over the country with great success while driving, hiking, and biking. Expensive, but I feel it is the best device out there.

For more memory, but the same basic software, try the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. I think its a bit large, but if the added size isn't an issue (ie, you don't need to pocket or mount on a bike) it is a better device.

These days, mapping, navigation, and color are really nice to have. Having detailed topos in color while Mountian biking in Colorado was so nice. Having streetmaps with all the local resteraunts and hotels available in an unknown city is so nice. Being able to punch in an address and be guided turn by turn in a strange area is makes travel in rental cars a pleasure.

On top of it, the software for the pc is also really useful and allows you to setup and download all kinds of data. Prior to trips I'll set up a series of downloads for various activities and then then it's just a simple load and go process.

Such tech isn't cheap. I probably have $800 in hardware and software now.

I can't say enough about Garmin's products. A few years ago I bought a basic E-Trex and have since bought a Legend. Some of the guys I have hunted with have had other brands and I have to say Garmin is the easiest to use and seems to find where it is the fastest. My only regret is I did not spend the extra money to buy the color screen. My .02

I bought the Garmin Street Pilot III Deluxe a few years ago. Great unit . . . but newer one is MUCH BETTER!

- New Garmin 2620 has remote control for easier typing in locations (a real PITA with the Street Pilot III) and uses industry standard memory cards.

Expensive but well worth it in my business as a Constable trying to find some God-forsaken address that I'll never return to and I can't really call the person I'm going to serve (or arrest) and ask them for directions! [twisted]

Thanks fot the input, guys. I'm leaning away from the Garmin etrex Legend because it does not have expandable memory. However, I don't really know how much memory I'll need to download additional maps. Any advice?

Len - I think those are more than I would need. They are nice, though. Has anyone checked out the link for the Brunton?

Back
Top Bottom