Handheld GPS for hiking

Seriously though, make sure you know how to use a compass too, it may save your ass.

anyone who actually relies on a gps or cell phone for use out in the woods is bound for a very rude awakening someday! they are nice to have, on the chance they are working

I don't really get what a dedicated GPS will do that an iPhone with a mapping app with internal maps and a lifeproof case, won't do?

Am I missing something?

I only ask because when I used to do a lot of backpacking, I'd do anything I could to save 8 ounces, and you have the phone with you anyway.

Don

I don't really get what a dedicated GPS will do that an iPhone with a mapping app with internal maps and a lifeproof case, won't do?

Am I missing something?

I only ask because when I used to do a lot of backpacking, I'd do anything I could to save 8 ounces, and you have the phone with you anyway.

Don

Boating offshore makes a simple compass rather valuable. Well.... that and a good operating vessel. [smile]

Am I missing something?

Don

IME it boils down to battery life, sensitivity, and accuracy.

When you are on a trail it probably doesn't matter much but when you are trying to find a specific tree in the dark with an overhead canopy and heavy cloud cover it can make all the difference in the world.

I prefer having separate units.

Bob

Am I missing something?

Don

A dedicated unit is usually water resistant and can take a little more abuse in a backpack. It'll also be a little better for stuff like geocaching.

That said, GPS on my smart phone with a good app like BackCountry Navigator is quite impressive and accurate. BackCountry Navigator will download maps on the fly if you have a good signal, but if not it'll also use maps previously downloaded. So, I have maps for the whole area and a couple other places I'm likely to go; all I need is a view of the satellites and battery power.

There's also the 2 is 1, 1 is none thing. If the dedicated unit flakes out, there's still the phone.

What we do (boat or off-road) is use the GPS to generate route info. Then we write down the bearing and distance info so if the GPS conks we can still find our way.

I'm using an old Garmin Nuvi 500, a waterproof unit they made with topo maps. I put a USB plug on my dirt bike and snow mobile to keep it charged, or charge a cell phone.

Back
Top Bottom