• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GP100 Mods

Two issues with my new GP100.

1) Single action, there is a little take-up on the trigger before it fires. Have an SP101 and a Redhawk that are much better than this.
2) The pin that holds the rear sight likes to slide out. They even put an extra in the box, so I guess it is a known thing.

Should I send back to Ruger or get a smith to fix it? Any recommendations for a gunsmith in Metrowest?

Thanks!

No idea on the trigger.

Sight pin can be fixed by removing it and bending it ever so slightly and then re-installing it. Did this on mine many years ago and have not had a problem with it coming loose after a couple thousand full house 357 rounds.

I have neither issue with the GP100 I picked up (new) earlier this year... I'd contact Ruger first to see what they want you to do. I also don't have a 'spare' pin for the rear sight.

Did you get this as a brand new revolver?

Last edited:
Your trigger can be better. The trigger on my GP100 is crisp and light in SA. There is nothing "wrong" with it though, so sending back to Ruger seems inappropriate. What you want is a tuning job by a smith.

I had Greg Derr do a trigger job on my GP100. Trigger was very smooth and slightly lighter afterwards.

GP100's respond very nicely to trigger job. personally i swap in a wolff hammer spring then just dry fire the snot out of it then trigger smooths out. alternatively just get a trigger job and done.

in terms of the rear sight pin, just drift it out halfway and put a very slight bend, then push it back into the dovetail. fixed.

Mine is not a new model (1988), but I've never had the pin move. I never did any trigger work either. I'm not saying it has a perfect trigger, but I just shoot it as it is.
Mine is a 6" stainless and I can say that it has become somewhat magnetized...
7KeLzFQl.jpg

1) Single action, there is a little take-up on the trigger before it fires. Have an SP101 and a Redhawk that are much better than this.

Single action *shouldn't* have take up. you mean when you manually cock the hammer, right? None of my revolvers have any take up *at all* (except the Mateba). My Blackhawk has a tiny amount of creep, but no take-up. My Security-Six has zero take-up.

Perhaps I don't know what you mean by this. I think of "take up" as that bit where the trigger does nothing and will reset on its own when you release pressure, like a two-stage trigger. Is that what you mean?

If so, there should be zero take-up.

2) The pin that holds the rear sight likes to slide out. They even put an extra in the box, so I guess it is a known thing.

Should I send back to Ruger or get a smith to fix it? Any recommendations for a gunsmith in Metrowest?

The pin falling out sounds super annoying, and downright dangerous if you believe aiming is important. I'd ask Ruger what they can do about it.

Pin movement on Ruger sights is very common. You have the bend-it-to-fix-it advice above. Instead of that, I put a little blue Loctite on mine. I'm sure bending works. The Loctite does, too, in my experience. No comment on the single action. Mine are great in SA.

A wolfe spring kit, do the hammer spring and trigger return spring, very economical and easy to do. Many youtube videos can walk you through it. I did mine, and polished all contact surfaces in the trigger group, very, very much improved with a super smooth pull. Additionally, if you want to go full house on it, you can shim the trigger and hammer. These are all simple mods that you can do very easily yourself with a minimum of tools.

The revolver is brand new. I put in a spring kit, which helps with weight. More specifically on the trigger issue:

I cock the hammer to get it ready for single action. The trigger moves a little before the break, so it isn't a clean, sharp, single action fire like with my other Rugers. This has to probably do with the mating surfaces/sears of the trigger mechanism so I won't mess with that. Will give them a call.

Thanks!

I thought that extra pin in the bag was to take the pressure of the mainspring when you disassemble it....No? Least that's what I use it for..[laugh]

I thought that extra pin in the bag was to take the pressure of the mainspring when you disassemble it....No? Least that's what I use it for..[laugh]

That's what I thought (and do use it for) i just figured, Meh, maybe they're doing things different at Ruger nowadays lol

ETA: Actually, if I remember right, that pin rested in a little groove inside the rubber grip, kinda like it's nest. I've had aftermarket Hogues on mine forever so hard to remember but I'm pretty sure it resided in a recess inside the grip.

That's what I thought (and do use it for) i just figured, Meh, maybe they're doing things different at Ruger nowadays lol

ETA: Actually, if I remember right, that pin rested in a little groove inside the rubber grip, kinda like it's nest. I've had aftermarket Hogues on mine forever so hard to remember but I'm pretty sure it resided in a recess inside the grip.

The little pin supplied in the grip IS meant as a tool to hold the main spring pressure, per the Ruger owner's manual. This is for the SP101 with the rubber boot grip and wood or plastic panels, not sure if the GP100 with the compact grip has it.

The sight pin should not be loose. You could send the gun back to Ruger for this issue, but the suggestions here to slightly bend or loctite the pin should fully resolve the issue.

Regarding the creep in the single action trigger pull, you will need a gunsmith to get a really good trigger pull. You could send the gun back to Ruger, but they will probably tell you that the trigger is within spec. The Ruger factory specs allow for considerable variation in the single action triggers, and they don't always have a great break. A good gunsmith can really improve the trigger, but the single action surfaces are very small and are not recommended for home gunsmithing. It is not difficult to improve the double action trigger pull with some careful polishing at the kitchen table, but the single action surfaces require a whole different level of precision.

Now that you mention it, that probably is what that little pin is for. I've always used a punch or paper clip and never seen one supplied for that.

I'll look for a smith. No way I'm touching those single action surfaces as I want something reliable single action. Don't mind paying a little for that. Just hated the idea of a S&W with that stupid lock on the side.

Back
Top Bottom