• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I think I will get a Ruger GP100 3" .44 spl

MJ1

These five shooters are looking very good to me. Any opinions ?

nqj9OhG.jpg

TIA

.44 Special is a great caliber. Plenty of bullet styles (although the 208g WC seems to have been discontinued) and easy to reload (everything is big).
You can run powder-puff loads in the .44 Russian, if you have these hanging around (kind of like a .44 Special Special).
If you have a .44 Magnum handgun, you already know this...

Last edited:
I have a GP-100 .357 Magnum 4" and really like it. I put reduced power springs in it at first but switched back to factory because the trigger got a lot better over time. I have been tempted by the GP-100 in 44 Special, but I don't know. The forcing cone looks kind of dainty for a Ruger. Yeah, it's only .44 Special, and I'm pretty sure the frame can handle loading specials up to higher pressures if you wanted to, but that forcing cone looks like it's expecting regular old 44 special pressures. I like the versatility of the 69 better, though out of the box the grips on it are not good enough.

it's a huge and heavy 44 special. i see no point. this chambering is all but dead. i would go with a S&W model 69. i have the 4.25" model and it's lovely. in 44 special it's pleasant. 44 mag loads are perfectly shootable but recoil gets punishing after ~15 rds.

44 mag loads are perfectly shootable but recoil gets punishing after ~15 rds.

The S&W 500 grips will transform it, albeit while adding a little bulk. I ordered them the same day as I ordered the gun, and I put them on before I shot it (having shot 629's with the stock grips and read enough reviews of the 69 with them, including Wiley Clapp's). I really like the stock grips on Model 64's and 67's, so much so that I recently did put them back on the 69 and shot some magnums just to see. Fortunately, I took the tools I needed to swap back to the 500's to the range with me. It's not good for the nerves in the hand to direct so much of the recoil into the small little area in the webbing between the thumb and forefinger. I've got enough problems as it is. Maybe someday I'll have some Jordan Trooper grips made for it.

(BTW, I think Jerry Miculek has the 500 grips on the 69 in his video, though I'm not sure if he mentions the change.)

agreed. i bought two of these x-frame grips directly from S&W (couldn't find them anywhere online). the gun shoots better but it just looked odd to me with this thin and nimble frame and these bulky rubber grips. the rubber texture snagged clothing while in holster. anyway i took them off and went back to the stock model 69 grips and am still happy w it. on an N-frame 629 the model 500 grips seem to be a good fit.

i bought two of these x-frame grips directly from S&W (couldn't find them anywhere online).

Right. Obviously Hogue is under contract and cannot distribute them to any other vendor. The thing I don't like about the S&W store is that they ship it in a way that seems deliberately designed to make it take longer than you ever imagined possible. It's like somebody has to go out of their way to make sure the package doesn't move as fast as regular mail. :)

Yeah, but it is a Ruger. Ruger is an old German word that translated loosely means shitty gun. :)

it's a huge and heavy 44 special. i see no point. this chambering is all but dead. i would go with a S&W model 69. i have the 4.25" model and it's lovely. in 44 special it's pleasant. 44 mag loads are perfectly shootable but recoil gets punishing after ~15 rds.

I think that a gun chambered in only 44 special doesn't make any sense, but the right 44 special ammo can be a good defensive round, especially for those who have trouble with recoil do to age or ailment.

These five shooters are looking very good to me. Any opinions ?

nqj9OhG.jpg

TIA
Bought the Ruger late last year, it's currently my winter carry. Sits in a DeSantis OWB holster. Been stoking it with the 165gr Hornandy Critical Defense loads. I did change the grips when I got it, I really don't like rubbers on a revolver so I put a nice set of Hogue wood grips on it.

fencer German word that translated loosely means arrogant idiot.

I'm up to my eyeballs in custom shop S&W pre-dash 5" and 8" 629's and I like this .44 special and I did buy it and at half the cost of the S&W. It's a bit rough in places that don't contribute to function but it will make a good horseback pack and hiking carry in the Bitterroot this summer. If I decide to leave it with my tack I won't be out spit as it was a gift from my local GF who also bought a GP100 six shooter .357 but she rides a two wheeled horse.

6H7GqdN.jpg

Another up side is I like Ruger product and have several I bought in 1969 and still use.

Listen sweetheart while I try and respect other posters you are a jerk.

have a nice day fencer

Pura Vida

28nHBJ5.jpg

Last edited:
My biggest concern having looked one over is the narrowness of the forcing cone walls. Probably best to use standard store bought ammo or limit your reloads to factory ammo power levels.

Consensus is that the Model 69 is the way to go? I fondled one the other day at a shop. Lighter than I thought it would be. Looking for a backwoods/hiking gun.

It is 357 mag. 686 plus

Ugh. 7 shot revolver is nasty, much rather have a 627 Pro or something. Something about that gun always made me cringe... it was like it was a marketing thing to try to skinflints or something.

686+ makes me think of this...

reliant.jpg

It's to the point where every time I see one of those things I'm like thinking if smith wants to be taken more seriously they would stop making them, lol.

-Mike

I don't have either one, but a 7-round L-frame seems just as natural to me as an 8-round N-frame. What I think comical are some of the X-frames.

Ugh. 7 shot revolver is nasty, much rather have a 627 Pro or something. Something about that gun always made me cringe... it was like it was a marketing thing to try to skinflints or something.

686+ makes me think of this...

View attachment 230476

It's to the point where every time I see one of those things I'm like thinking if smith wants to be taken more seriously they would stop making them, lol.

-Mike

What are you talking about?! That seventh round is the stuff movies are made of. " He's out.. that's six!" BANG
But for the record my 686 is a six shooter

Back
Top Bottom