Governor Charlie Baker vs Scott Lively

Governor Charlie Baker vs Scott Lively. Who would you vote for?

• Governor Charlie Baker

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Scott Lively

Votes: 102 70.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 40 27.6%

• Total voters
What would the MA GOP do if a meaningful percentage of their voting delegates turned in blank ballots? Or write-ins?

I mean, the ideal option would be to present alternatives candidates. But the party is bigger than you or me. If we start making votes of no confidence (which is what a blank ballot is) they have the chance to know that people are unhappy. If we just rubber-stamp whoever they provide, we'll keep having "lesser of evils" elections.

At the previous Convention "Charlie Baker vs Mark Fisher" some activists suspected the Republican party leaders counted the blank ballots in favor of the Charlie Baker. Did this happen? I don't know. That being said this time the party leadership really hates Scott Lively. They want him to go away.

Last edited:
I understand the concepts of "lesser of 2 evils" and "general election unelectable", but I also understand "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." I knew he was not a conservative Republican 4 years ago. What I did not expect was a full-blown Democrat in all but name. Faker gets not one vote from me, ever again.

... this time the party leadership really hates Scott Lively. They want him to go away.
Which is why I would vote for Lively.

The only thing you can really do to "tall Deval" is send a message. The delegates going to the convention that I know are voting Lively hoping he can get the 15% to get on the ballot and primary "TD". In the November election we're all going to blank "TD".

Will there be a debate between them I wonder ?
I would love to see this guy ask him about turning on the people who voted him in.

I campaigned for Charlie Baker during his last election. I will not vote for him this time around. Fool me once... I honestly believed that he cared about the good law abiding residents in Massachusetts. o_O

I feel let down. He's going to have a very hard time in his political future until he switches sides, which I predict will happen by 2022.

We'll see if Lively makes it onto the ballot after the meeting (?next week?) - then I can make my sign for my truck bed. It will either say "Vote Scott Lively" or "Say NO to Baker" with some color to show an F where the B is.

I voted third party last time, and the time before (never for Baker) - this time won't be any different. Howie Carr was shilling for Baker last time, now he calls him Tall Deval and won't get even a return call from him - I hope he (or allows his callers to) blast Baker on a regular basis.

Anyone's gun clubs been approached by Baker/Polito yet?

We'll see if Lively makes it onto the ballot after the meeting (?next week?) - then I can make my sign for my truck bed. It will either say "Vote Scott Lively" or "Say NO to Baker" with some color to show an F where the B is.

I voted third party last time, and the time before (never for Baker) - this time won't be any different. Howie Carr was shilling for Baker last time, now he calls him Tall Deval and won't get even a return call from him - I hope he (or allows his callers to) blast Baker on a regular basis.

Anyone's gun clubs been approached by Baker/Polito yet?

Ya , I don't think you will see that happening.
That was a one trick pony.
Thanks for the votes suckers, now kiss my ass.

So...For Maura?
False dichotomy.

Would you rather be beaten with a stick or flail? Sounds like you're already beaten, eh?

A free man says "I'll fight both." Fighting presumes a struggle, and accepts getting hit. But it's not defeat until you give in.

So yes, it might mean Maura beats Charlie on this election. The long view sees a future alternative.

Get comfortable being uncomfortable. Accept that winning takes time and effort. Stand up, and fight for what you believe in.

Or take your beating.

False dichotomy.

Would you rather be beaten with a stick or flail? Sounds like you're already beaten, eh?

A free man says "I'll fight both." Fighting presumes a struggle, and accepts getting hit. But it's not defeat until you give in.

So yes, it might mean Maura beats Charlie on this election. The long view sees a future alternative.

Get comfortable being uncomfortable. Accept that winning takes time and effort. Stand up, and fight for what you believe in.

Or take your beating.
Pitched battles don't win a guerilla war

From what I have seen and heard the delegates who are planning on voting at the convention for Scott Lively are not voting because they want him as Governor but as a protest vote against Governor Baker. Voting openly for Lively could have consequences. Being yelled at. Ostracized and more. Some will in the end vote for Baker. They will not want to waist any political capital they have voting for Lively. The leadership of the Mass GOP would very much like this convention to be a rubber stamp committee for them. But it could be a very vicious fight. For them it is an all out fight to keep Lively off the primary ballot.

Last edited:
Lively doesn't stand a chance of winning in this state. SPLC already has a page on him and when they start rolling out ads against him it won't be hard to pain Scott Lively
I agree Lively does not stand a chance. No one I have talked to think he does ether. Again it is more of a vote against Baker than for Lively. But I will add I do not give a damn what the SPLC thinks about anyone.

Baker should just quit screwing around and switch parties. Who does he think he's fooling? You have two types of electable candidates in Mass. Liberal Democrats and liberal rinos. That's it. Massachusetts is toast. It is a librard filled sanctuary shithole lead by a turncoat rino. Conservatives can't win a battle in a state filled with people who think Liz Warren is senator material and who still worship the corrupt and murderous Kennedy clan. The only thing that sucks worse than Mass politics and taxes is the weather. We have two seasons here: Winter and August. It starts getting cold in September then 8 months later you have rain and May flies followed by a month of humidity. Then it's right back to winter.
Then there's the infastrucure. The roads look like they're built and maintained by the same company that makes ball joints and aluminum rims, and it's hard to find a bridge that isn't in danger of iminant collapse. The multi billion dollar tunnels are leaking and the public transit system is a laughing stock.
The state police are as corrupt as the FBI and the legislature is more corrupt than both of them put together. The last three House Speakers in a row are each convicted felons and the Senate president's boy-toy husband is about to get him charged.
You're only hope is to get the hell out. My place gets listed this week and as soon as it sells I'll be in Neveda near Reno. I'll set foot in Mass again when electric monkeys playing bagpipes fly from my ass.

Bugs bunny for the win. Lets face facts with an R in that position it doesn't even matter unless they have the stones to go against the grain. Baker is clearly lacking those stones. Even if Lively got in, nothing would get accomplished in this liberal cesspool.

F the MA GOP, they are the worst. This state needs a real independent candidate, the only ones that show up on voting day in this state are the libs. I know lots of freedom minded people that don't even bother voting because the GOP choices are people like Romney, Baker or whatever scumbag the MAGOP can find that year.

I am not convinced Maura would defeat Baker if she ran. Recall the '98 election when the Democratic establishment in this state turned on Scott Harshbarger because he was too far left even for them. I think Bob DeLeo has an arrangement with Baker both are comfortable with, and would quietly support him vs Healey, the way Finneran supported Celluci by not working for Harshbarger (whom he referred to as the "Looney Left").

Looks like yet another year where "None of the above" would be a clear winner, were it on the ballot
Unfortunate, but true.

Also, since Geoff Diehl is taking on Elizabeth Warren for US Senate, we are losing one of the very few "good guys" as state rep. Would be great if he won the senate seat though.

I am a delegate as well. Was one for the last covention too. I have a couple observations - neither are good.

Convention voting - It's not a private vote, its a voice vote to your State committee person. Everyone flocks to the Committee person and you hear what everyone else votes. You should have seen the looks and heard the groans that were given if someone said "Fisher", particularly since they were prepared to check off "Baker" on their tally sheet. Was like you were insulting the entire group. And then with the behind the curtain BS that went on to keep Fisher off the stage was absolutely disgusting.

I totally agree with thousm's post #48. If you say "Lively", you had better be prepared for whatever crap will be slung your way. You will also continue to get crapped on later at RTC meetings about it, and be labeled as "those people" that didn't support the Baker coronation.

But here's the thing, it doesn't freaking matter. There is no way that MAGOP will allow Lively on that stage... no way. Baker needs to appear infallible, untouchable to the GOP masses. Any opposition would not be tolerated. Just like the formal session votes that occur at the Statehouse, nothing is allowed without the permission of House Speaker or Senate President.

Can you vote to "Abstain"? To me, that would almost be worse than voting "Lively". "Abstain" is total rejection of the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom