• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got my class A , unrestricted , ltc renewed

I was worried that they would only give me a restricted license this time . The town I live in is a "RED" town . The officer in charge of the gun permits seemed like a good guy . He didn't give me a hard time like I expected in a red town . I'm good to go for 6 yrs. . That's a load off my mind .

Glad to hear they didn't slap on a restriction. What town was it?

It kind of sucks some cities/towns will downgrade someone who already has an unrestricted LTC and proved themselves to be a responsible citizen. As much as I think its wrong to issue restrictions from day 1, i think its worse to take an unrestricted away.

Got a question for the OP. I'm actually going to be renewing mine within the next week. The licensing officer said to bring down the filled out LTC form, check for $100 to the PD, and my old license since they want it back.

So if I give them my old LTC license do they give me something temporary until my new license comes in? Forgot to ask the officer when I was on the phone with him.

Per MGLs, you can only legally possess firearms/ammo as long as you have POSSESSION of your LTC (or FID for some).

If you turn it in to the PD with your application, you no longer can legally possess anything. They may not hassle you if you keep everything in your home, however you better not be CCW'g or take them out of your house. You certainly won't be able to buy anything for the 4-12 weeks while you wait for a new LTC either.

Bottom line is that I'd give them a copy if they wanted, but would NOT turn over my original LTC, period. I would offer the explanation as I described above.

I've still got 2 years to wait til I renew, but I have the uphill battle of going from Restricted (Hunting/Target) to Unrestricted. I think, when the time comes, I'll spend the money and talk to a lawyer about how to handle it.

Got a question for the OP. I'm actually going to be renewing mine within the next week. The licensing officer said to bring down the filled out LTC form, check for $100 to the PD, and my old license since they want it back.

So if I give them my old LTC license do they give me something temporary until my new license comes in? Forgot to ask the officer when I was on the phone with him.

I brought my licence but I didn't have to turn it over to them . You are supposed to give them your old license when you get your new one . But if you have to turn in your old licence , you can legally posess firearms for 90 days but you won't be able to buy any guns or ammo till you get your new license .

Last edited:
I brought my licence but I didn't have to turn it over to them . You are supposed to give them your old license when you get your new one . But if you have to turn in your old licence , you can legally posess firearms for 90 days but you won't be able to buy any guns or ammo till you get your new license .

I wouldn't do that either! The new one will have a "start date" that could be 1-2 months away and if it isn't valid on the day you go to buy a gun/ammo, you can't do it. It is also technically illegal for you to be in possession of any guns/ammo outside your home during that time.

It's a bad practice by the PD that does this and it is not legal for them to do so.

Back
Top Bottom