Gold and silver prices are down

anyone has a clue why the metals haven't dropped when the stock market is making new record highs every other day?

I mean we should be seeing much lower spot prices no?

Simple really, both are rallying because of fear and uncertainty. Gold cause it's a safe haven, the stock market cause it means more Fed stimulus/QE is likely.

Funny how none of these "independent analysts" bother to mention that any profit on gold does not enjoy the benefits of long term capital gains taxation.
Fair enough. I meant to say that they generally have timely, same day, analysis of market fluctuations. I did not mean to imply that they should be anyone's investment strategist but I could have been more specific in my original post.

The price they're offering to buy those back is $3 below spot. Makes me think it's not a good buy.
If your are looking for "investment quantities" (tens of $K) rather that coins you sell to Iggy and Ziggy at the corner goldery, the most relevant pricing is the buy/sell spread. When pricing rounds, look at the buy prices from other vendors as the maker of the rounds may not be in the market when you want to liquidate.

Historically, junk silver (both 90% and 35% nickels) have often traded at a discount to spot, particularly on the sell side.

Note that Apmex buy prices are quoted for $$ amounts > $10K, and may be lowered if they have excess inventory if what you are selling.

So i went to park in Cambridge with a roll of quarters I got from the bank, and I'm feeding the parking meter, and it's not working. I tried another meter, that wasn't working either. I drove to another meter 100 yards away. that didn't work either. Checked my wallet, and the quarters in there did work, so I'm like WTF. Then I look at the roll of quarters, it's dull - very worn. Tried a couple more that weren't worn, didn't work. Then I looked at the date of the next quarter. 1944. And it looked kind of silver. Next one, 1957. Next one, 1964.

I think the bank gave me a roll of junk silver quarters, and I popped like 10 of them into the meters. Ahhh, fock. [laugh]

So i went to park in Cambridge with a roll of quarters I got from the bank, and I'm feeding the parking meter, and it's not working. I tried another meter, that wasn't working either. I drove to another meter 100 yards away. that didn't work either. Checked my wallet, and the quarters in there did work, so I'm like WTF. Then I look at the roll of quarters, it's dull - very worn. Tried a couple more that weren't worn, didn't work. Then I looked at the date of the next quarter. 1944. And it looked kind of silver. Next one, 1957. Next one, 1964.

I think the bank gave me a roll of junk silver quarters, and I popped like 10 of them into the meters. Ahhh, fock. [laugh]

I think you're doing it wrong! You just fed $30 in silver to the guy who empties the meters.

Must be the heat...

Great price on silver maples, $1.40 over spot. Anyone used Bullion Exchanges? The retail store (and Ebay) seem to get great reviews everywhere (BBB, Yelp etc).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sale-Price-...-Year-/152393705991?_trkparms=5079:5000006556

$34 below spot with 10% ebay bucks. Eagle $10 coin. Not familiar with this seller either. Edit: Couple negative comments on BBB for this seller are enough to scare me off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Gold-10-...-Date-/401295177185?_trkparms=5079:5000006556

Last edited:
Last edited:
Secondary generally means they aren't from the factory, but have been in someone else's possession before they sold it to Apmex. I've never gotten an 10% ebay buck offer.
They're a lot less recognizable than a Eagle/Maple Leaf, etc, I'd skip just on the difficulty in reselling later.

So they are legit? I see they have a good price on 25-roll of Maples too, the equivalent of $364 for 20:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roll-25-1oz...-5-Coins-BU-/222440071586?hash=item33ca7621a2

Their reviews aren't so great here:
http://golddealerreviews.com/

But then Apmex isn't much better according to that site, and I've never had a single issue with Apmex, they even let me cancel a mistaken order once.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom