Gold and silver prices are down

You're right about the test kits. If the USD becomes worthless and metals become common currency we'll all have our own test kits. Most silver testing uses the same acid as in this $5.50 kit from Amazon. It won't tell you the exact purity, but you can be confident it's "mostly" silver and I can't imaging there being a problem of people casting rounds and bars from 70% silver.
Drill a hole with a small drill bit and test the chips from deep inside.

Volumetric testing for density is easy and should catch most fakes

Back in 2014 I bought 5 Burnished Silver Eagles for about $108, simple easy. I put them somewhere safe, somewhere nothing would happen to them, and as it turns out somewhere I can't remember.

Now I need to check all my secret squirrel stash locations. I thought I had put it in the truck - with my Get Home Gear - but I can't find them.

So I get to play hide and seek with myself.

Light dawns on old memories - I think I know why I can't find them. Pretty sure I put them in my niece's and then boyfriends Get Home Bags way back when. I thought about 90% quarters but was afraid they would buy sodas with them so put 3 in the nieces & 2 in the BFs.

Pretty sure, have to count the other coins, rounds and bars to be sure / if none are missing - then I know what I did with those 5 oddballs.

************************ ON EDIT ************************

Yup, dumbass. All my other holdings are accounted for and I know I put silver in their bags - it must have been the Eagles.

Last edited:
is anyone storing silver or gold in a fire proof safe that holds in moisture? i checked some of the little silver I own and it had some yellowing going on....
I use a Remington mini 365 dehumidifier. Does the job.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-Mini-Dehumidifier/15729968
868c22a91a93789070ba480c1a4c4f65.jpg

Last edited:
I store all mine in one of the plastic/poly 50 cal cans inside my safe (I don't have very much LOL). I also use the same style dehumidifier in said safe as above post.

is anyone storing silver or gold in a fire proof safe that holds in moisture? i checked some of the little silver I own and it had some yellowing going on....

It is almost impossible to keep silver from tarnishing.

http://blog.goldeneaglecoin.com/silver-coins-tarnish/

Tarnish has *zero* effect on the bullion value of silver. Even if you have coins with a numismatic value, you should NOT clean them. Some collectors attempt to "dip" their coins in a special chemical solution, but that has less than a 100% success rate.

Back
Top Bottom