Going down south (GA)

Somewhere around Barstow,on the edge of the desert
So, I've gone through old threads, but still having trouble finding a straight answer. I'm heading down to GA to visit family and want to bring some guns. A rifle, handgun and shotgun to be specific. I'm not trying to carry. What are my options here and how do I go about doing this w/o breaking the law (if possible)? I'm driving and not flying.

Last edited:
Make sure everything is locked up, unloaded (including detachable magazines) and away from you when you're driving through CT, NY, NJ. Try not to stop in NY or NJ for any reason.

Once you hit PA and points south, you should be all set. Go around Washington, DC at all costs. If you are from MA, your LTC isn't recognized in any state down there except NC. That just means that you can't carry concealed for the most part. Most states down there don't regulate rifles and shotguns, except in relation to hunting. A NH permit, resident or non resident, is recognized in GA.

Check out USACarry.com for laws about hand guns possession in other states. If you have an iPhone or Android, download the Legal Heat app.

And of course the standard disclaimer. IANAL and this is not legal advice. This is based solely on my experience carrying in the south. YMMV.

One thing to keep in mind, as was posted in another recent thread, FOPA does not allow you to bring mags with a cap over 10 in to NY. The other thread had a copy of an email from a NY statie who was asked about transporting through the state. He specifically said that. I read it just before moving to SC and didn't want to take any chances so I just mailed my high/standard cap mags to myself rather than take them on the road with me. It may have been overkill but IMO it wasn't worth risking a felony.

Just make sure the guns and ammo are locked in SEPARATE containers. And empty your mags. Different states have different definitions of "loaded" some will try to screw you just for having ammo in a mag even if it is in a different container. I hated every second of driving through NY and NJ. Made even worse by the fact that I stayed 2 MPH below the speed limit in both states further prolonging the agony.

Here is a copy of the post and a link to the thread. It is post #24. Also there is a post in there from LenS that is worth a read through, as usual... [grin]

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ected-Travel-through-CT-and-or-New-York-State

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering the same thing as I'll be travelling from MA to PA to shoot with my old man. I read that the NY courts didn't interpret FOPA to apply to airport travel (even diversions!), but I couldn't find an example of somebody getting arrested while following FOPA protocol in a car. Still being cautious, I decided to ask the State Police if they had a non-resident permit for transport, knowing the answer was going to be "no" and hoping they would cite FOPA. This is the response I got via email, doesn't mean a LEO in the southern part of the state won't decide to do things his own way, but I'll feel better having this printed and I'll leave my pre-bans at home.

"There is no non-resident pistol permit for the purpose of transporting firearms through New York State. You will be covered under the Federal provisions of 18 USC § 926A which states that the firearm must be unloaded, in a case, and stored in the trunk of the vehicle. If your vehicle has no trunk, it must be unloaded in a locked case inaccessible to the driver and passengers. A locked case does not include the glove-box or console. Necessary stops for gas or rest stops are permissible. This covers you for a continuous, uninterrupted travel through NYS. Also note, 18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms, does not apply to magazines. In NYS, you can not possess a magazine with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds.

If you have any further questions, please re-contact me.

Inv. C.A. Hunt, NYSP-Pistol Permit Bureau"

BTW if you happen to be taking RT 81, which I recommend since it avoids the tolls and DC, and feel like stopping by in York SC to sling some lead just send me a PM.

Have as safe trip,

Chad

FWIW, when I moved from MA to TX, I shipped everything except a 1911 and a couple mags.

Gun was unloaded, in a locked case, locked in the back of my vehicle. Mags were unloaded in a seperate box. Ammo was in it's own box.

I also didn't stop until I crossed into Pennsylvania. If you start in southern MA and hit the road around 3 AM, you can get into PA (via CT and NY) surprisingly fast.

Avoid driving through NJ by taking I-84 to I-81. Its a bit longer and more rural going that route, but less traffic. NJ Turnpike (and 95 in general) sucks anyway.

You avoid DC and Baltimore this way as well.

Don't forget that you can not have hollow points in NJ- even if passing through.

Don't forget that you can not have hollow points in NJ- even if passing through.

You CAN have hollow points in NJ, you just may not carry a weapon loaded with them outside of your property. This is really a moot point, as they don't issue carry permits to non LEO for the most part anyway.

Back
Top Bottom