• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going between states MA/NH

Quick clarification on the carry concealed thing. You can carry an unloaded gun concealed in NH. What's the threshold - for example - if you had a revolver and speed loader in your pocket, is that illegal? What about a loaded magazine in your pocket? What if you just had a couple bullets in your pocket?

Quick clarification on the carry concealed thing. You can carry an unloaded gun concealed in NH. What's the threshold - for example - if you had a revolver and speed loader in your pocket, is that illegal? What about a loaded magazine in your pocket? What if you just had a couple bullets in your pocket?

If carrying an unloaded and concealed handgun without benefit of a NH P&R license, you cannot have any ammunition on your person.

Why the hell would you even bother to carry an unloaded handgun on your person? You'd be better off with a hammer, a rock or something else.

Why the hell would you even bother to carry an unloaded handgun on your person? You'd be better off with a hammer, a rock or something else.

Maybe he doesn't want to leave it in his car or something, and he doesn't have a P/R license.

Hopefully this point will be rendered moot if the Legislature does the right thing and gets rid of the permit requirement.

-Mike

Maybe he doesn't want to leave it in his car or something, and he doesn't have a P/R license.

True Mike, but don't think it is the case, since the question really revolves around having a speedloader or bullets in your pocket. Hummm.....

Hopefully this point will be rendered moot if the Legislature does the right thing and gets rid of the permit requirement.

-Mike

By all means, that would be a good thing. However, it is going to be a long row to hoe with either bill in its present form. If its going to happen, it needs to be right the first time. So far, they aren't off to a good start on this. :(

Just so that I don't start a new thread for a quick question, I think I can get an answer here:

MA LTC-A - Going to MFL for some shooting with friends, can I bring any of my guns with and if yes, how?

Thanks!

you can bring anything that MFL will allow you to shoot following these precautions

If you have a NH Non Resident Pistol & Revolver License, you can transport loaded and concealed

If you have no NH permit, the guns have to be unloaded in your vehicle and unloaded if concealed on your person

you can bring anything that MFL will allow you to shoot following these precautions

If you have a NH Non Resident Pistol & Revolver License, you can transport loaded and concealed

If you have no NH permit, the guns have to be unloaded in your vehicle and unloaded if concealed on your person

To add to what Glockaholic said, if you are bring a rifle make sure the ammunition is separate from the gun. Basically, don't load the magazines with ammo until you are at the range. Even if you have a non-resident permit you cannot transport a loaded rifle. Some F&G wardens and/or police may interpret the law to read a loaded magazine next to the rifle. So better to be safe and leave the rifle ammo in the box while transporting them.

So there is case law where a loaded magazine outside of a rifle caused a problem? I find that hard to believe.

If you are coming from MA you'll probably have the unloaded rifle locked in a bag/case anyways, thus rendering the issue more or less moot.

-Mike

So there is case law where a loaded magazine outside of a rifle caused a problem? I find that hard to believe.

If you are coming from MA you'll probably have the unloaded rifle locked in a bag/case anyways, thus rendering the issue more or less moot.

-Mike

I don't know if there is case law, but there are some hard ass cops/wardens out there who might give you a hard time. More so in the areas closer to MA and the seacoast.

Thanks guys, I'm bringing a rifle and 2 handguns all with locks through them. I will keep the mags empty and separate and plan on keeping the ammo in the boxes/cases. Here's one other question, I drive a truck (no trunk), is that going to be an issue?

Thanks guys, I'm bringing a rifle and 2 handguns all with locks through them. I will keep the mags empty and separate and plan on keeping the ammo in the boxes/cases. Here's one other question, I drive a truck (no trunk), is that going to be an issue?

Yup, "locked case" or "locked trunk" is the ONLY thing that meets the law in MA! NH is not as strict but what you describe could lead to major legal problems in MA.

Oh man... even if they're not as strict, I don't want to take any chances. Maybe I'll use the fiancee's car. Or just not even bother. I need to get my NH non res, I spend plenty of time there in the summer.

A locked case, out of reach of the driver in a vehicle w/o a trunk meets the law. Cover it so it is not obvious what it is, so that it doesn't lead to questions if you were to be stopped and all is good.

The guns came with their little cases, so I can use those, the rifle, my only rifle, I don't have case for. Excuse to go shopping on Friday :)

Thanks Len.

Edit: I'll prolly put them under the rear seat, out of sight, out of reach.

Oh man... even if they're not as strict, I don't want to take any chances. Maybe I'll use the fiancee's car. Or just not even bother. I need to get my NH non res, I spend plenty of time there in the summer.

NH isn't the problem, the problem is that trigger/action locks are worthless for transport in MA. If it was just NH you could throw your unloaded rifle in the bed of your pickup truck with nothing on it. [laugh]

In MA even a soft case with a lock on it should meet the requirement.

-Mike

It's my understanding that the loaded-rifle-in-a-vehicle law in NH falls under poaching laws. Right? This needs to be changed. The penalty should result from actually shooting an animal out of season or without tags/hunting license, if at all.

Yes: NH RSA 207:7 Hunting From Motor Vehicle, OHRV, Snowmobile, Boat, or Aircraft.

It has been interpreted as far as leaning a loaded long gun against the tailgate/tire/etc of a car is a violation and people have been charged. Nobody can give me specifics, and it sounds like a brothers cousins hairdresser kind of story but... they claim it's happened. I agree, it should be changed.

I heard the same in the hunter safety class that I took in MA, and I agree with you -- it is another BS law designed to create criminals out of innocent people.

I heard the same in the hunter safety class that I took in MA, and I agree with you -- it is another BS law designed to create criminals out of innocent people.

I keep pressing people for details, because one of the stories I heard was a guy clearly target practicing (not hunting) from the hood of his truck or something (at a range). He was charged under this statute. I don't doubt that would ruin your day but the title is clearly HUNTING FROM and I'd like to think the judge would throw it out and bitch the hell out of the CO.

I have never though gotten any details about specifics, who was involved, what the outcome was, etc. Only the insurance that "it really happened."

Last edited:
I had similar questions about transporting between states since I live on the border. It was super easy to find this article, flip through it, and everyone answered all of my questions before I could even ask them. HAHA I love these forums. You guys are the best.

Get your Non-Res Permit: Eliminate any issues.
Coming from MA: As long as you are transporting legally in MA you already exceed the NH Law so just leave it where it is until you get to where you're going.
Want to carry a hidden paperweight: Go right ahead but leave your ammo somewhere else. (not in your pocket)

Sounds pretty simple to me!

Why are you so afraid of freedom?

Back
Top Bottom