• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going between states MA/NH

Hi all. I live in MA and have a LTC class A- no restrictions... How can i legally carry my weapon in NH when I go there to shop almost daily?
Can i carry?
Keep it in trunk?

Info would be great

Thanks all!

You can't carry in a vehicle unless you have a NH permit ($100, fill out the form and a few weeks later it will show up).

W/o the NH permit, you can lock your gun up in the trunk just before you enter NH. TECHNICALLY you can carry openly w/o a permit, but my guess is that you are shopping in the Nashua area and with all the Ma**h*** moonbats around they will invariably call the police and you will likely get hassled more than you want/need. Concealed is always wiser IMNSHO, so get the permit.

Unload it and store the ammo away from the gun before you cross over. A loaded handgun in a car without an NH license is a problem. If you are going into NH on a daily basis you can apply for the nonres... it's pricey ($100 for 4 yrs) but you'll get it in under a month with minimal hassle, then you won't have to do a damn thing when you drive over the border, you can carry as you would normally.

And yes, as Len states, you can carry open without a permit but if the gun is loaded and you get into a car you've broken the law... so the no-permit provision in NH for OC is somewhat worthless in this regard.

-Mike

My appologies for stepping on your thread. But how bout the other way, If I go to Mass to shoot a match, am I legal if I have ammo and gun separate in the vehicle?

My appologies for stepping on your thread. But how bout the other way, If I go to Mass to shoot a match, am I legal if I have ammo and gun separate in the vehicle?

"The other direction" is 1000 times worse if you don't have an MA nonresident LTC. MA has a competition exemption, but it is pretty narrowly defined.

There's another thread on this already.... in the MA laws forum..

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/112030-Out-of-State-but-want-to-shoot-in-MA

-Mike

Not to hijack the thread too much, but as a MA resident (Class A LTC), do I also need that same kind of NH non-resident permit if I go to a pistol competition (IDPA, "concealment required") in NH?

OMG... I just read that thread. Seriously, WTF, you gun owners in MA need to be lawyers. What a joke.

I suspect that most lawyers in MA are just as ignorant about MA gun laws as your average police officer, but, yes, MA gun laws are a joke (and a sick one at that).

Not to hijack the thread too much, but as a MA resident (Class A LTC), do I also need that same kind of NH non-resident permit if I go to a pistol competition (IDPA, "concealment required") in NH?
You certainly do not need a NH non-resident permit to transport an unloaded gun to a match in NH. I doubt that any cop in NH would hassle someone for concealing the gun while on the firing line at an IDPA match. That said, NH non-resident permits are so easy to get that it just makes sense to get one.

Last edited:
Slightly OT:

Is it legal for someone from outside of NH who is not licensed by their home state or any other state for that matter but over the age of 18 and not prohibited federally, to borrow a long gun/shotgun from a NH resident as long as it stays in state?

Slightly OT:

Is it legal for someone from outside of NH who is not licensed by their home state or any other state for that matter but over the age of 18 and not prohibited federally, to borrow a long gun/shotgun from a NH resident as long as it stays in state?

If you can buy a gun in NH you can posses one in NH. It does not matter that you are not licensed in your home state. As long as you are in NH you follow the laws of NH and can give the middle finger to your home state during your stay. Since NH has no laws on ownership other than you not being a federally prohibited person you can definitely use said rifle, shotgun or handgun.

Virtually all free states have laws permitting the carrying of concealed handguns without a license in gun ranges and gun clubs.

I know Ohio does.

Say I want to go to MFL and shoot do I need a nonres permit,if its locked with ammo seperate

No. The firearm does not need to be locked either. As long as the rounds are separate from the gun while in your vehicle, you are legal. Hell, you can leave the gun on your front seat of a locked car and be legal. I do not recommend you do that however. All the NH non-res permit gets your is the ability to carry concealed and to bring your loaded handgun into a vehicle and/or concealed on your person in said vehicle.

Quit thinking like your in MA, it will save you a lot of time. Most NH laws actually have logic behind them, therefore you can think logically WRT NH laws.

a non res can not walk around with a loaded concealed gun, but can conceal an unloaded weapon, no rounds in speed strips or magazines, but loose rounds are fine without a permit. Open carry loaded or unloaded is legal for res/ non res but south of Concord where the liberals live can get you a chat with the cops

a non res can not have a loaded gun concealed or otherwise in a car without a permit

unloaded in a motor vehicle is fine, no rounds in mags or loaders in the vehicle, no permit required, unloaded concealed is also fine in a motor vehicle no permit needed as long as no mags or speed loaders are carrying ammo.

Say I want to go to MFL and shoot do I need a nonres permit,if its locked with ammo seperate

Just unloaded it and put it in the trunk. No license needed to possess in NH, just to conceal. That said, the license is easy to get, so why not just get it?

Every time I drive over the border I feel the tension in my back go down as the communism disappears behind me... [laugh]

-Mike

MA has more firearms competitions than all the other New England states combined, and you will find many people from NH at them.

Everytime I come to NH I dont want to leave

Booze is cheaper and gun laws are better

A few years ago I was looking for some particular wines and was surprised to find that the NH prices were actually higher than in MA. Some stuff that Costco's carries in MA and NH have a ~$1 difference (on a $7-8, their price) bottle with NH being more expensive.

YMMV

Everything else however I agree with.

Back
Top Bottom