• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL Seeks Administrative Fixes to Licensing System

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Did not see this posted elsewhere or find it with search and some folks do not get the GOAL emails so...

GOAL Seeks Administrative Fixes to Licensing System - GOAL.ORG

Once again the Massachusetts firearms licensing system is broken, leaving the Commonwealth unable to follow thesir own laws regarding issuing LTC’s and FID’s in a timely fashion, as prescribed by law.

For this reason, GOAL has filed an amendment to the MA House budget to address these issues. Thank you to State Representative Todd Smola for working with us.

more info at linked URL

:emoji_tiger:

If they make the DOCJ the starting point for applicant approach to the system that is fine, but simply shifting the local COP place in the chain does nothing to prevent them from continuing to underman and generally drag their feet on processing. There has to be some inovation.

Rephrase the bill to eliminate the COP's abusive power and abolish restrictions, then the process will go much smoother. Well kind of a lot smoother, you will still have the state involved and somebody's overpaid underqualified relative will still screw something up somehow, someway.

I like the idea. It also keeps a record so they can’t say you didn’t send something in or file something on time.

Example: Register/Log into MIRCS, fill out application/checkbox for renewal if all info is the same, eSign/type in PIN, hit Send to Submit.

Submitted renewal page prints out and current LTC is valid until the new one comes on the mail.

Sounds reasonable and streamlined, but we can’t have that in MA. It really says a lot when you have a legislative body incrementally funneling a Right into non-existence and essentially NEVER relenting or smoothing out administrative processes. The score will always be at least -1 for legal gun owners in MA.

My guess is that if they streamline the process that might mean some state worker will lose their job? We can't have that....[rolleyes]

If passed, this would be really good, particularly this:

This could potentially be done by beginning the process online at the state level. That way the system can be better monitored. By starting at the state level it should save the local licensing folks, and applicants time. For instance, if the application began online, the state might be able to conduct initial background checks to determine if the person is statutorily prohibited. If this were the case, the local authority would not have to schedule time to process anything. It would also allow the applicant to act faster on a potential appeal if needed.​

they need to follow the example of TX in regards to they way they process LTC applications. It's done online. You go to a place that does fingerprints electronically, they get transmitted directly to the state. They use your DL photo. It gets mailed to the address on your DL. You can also do change of address on line. You pay a small fee and they send you a new LTC. Your LTC also has your DL number printed on it. The locals are not even involved. There should be NO "chief's discretion." Your rights should not be based on your zip code. TX DPS gets these done pretty quick. 3 weeks on average for first time issues? Change of address is even quicker. I have not done a renewal yet.

they need to follow the example of TX in regards to they way they process LTC applications. It's done online. You go to a place that does fingerprints electronically, they get transmitted directly to the state. They use your DL photo. It gets mailed to the address on your DL. You can also do change of address on line. You pay a small fee and they send you a new LTC. Your LTC also has your DL number printed on it. The locals are not even involved. There should be NO "chief's discretion." Your rights should not be based on your zip code. TX DPS gets these done pretty quick. 3 weeks on average for first time issues? Change of address is even quicker. I have not done a renewal yet.

Your rights and the exercise of them should not be based on the demented belief systems of, or held hostage by a handful of tyrants in a legislature either. They use EVERYTHING about guns as a campaign barrometer to see which way the political winds are blowing and make their oppressive decisions based on how well the public mindset is brainwashed.

GET RID OF ALL OF IT.

Your rights should not be based on fingerprints and plastic cards. Yea, I know..It's the law, the system blah, blah, blah

If they make the DOCJ the starting point for applicant approach to the system that is fine, but simply shifting the local COP place in the chain does nothing to prevent them from continuing to underman and generally drag their feet on processing. There has to be some inovation.

The increase in accountability would be *HUGE* though.

No town could reasonably make anyone wait months for an appointment to apply an more, for instance.

they need to follow the example of TX... The locals are not even involved. There should be NO "chief's discretion." Your rights should not be based on your zip code. TX DPS gets these done pretty quick.

A superior system I am sure.

However, the task force for study GOAL has proposed (language below) includes a representative from the MA Chiefs of Police Assoc. and it is highly unlikely that he is going to willing relinquish any of their fiefdoms, nor is it likely that the others on the task force will sack-up and demand the COPs step aside.

Yes GOAL has a representative on the panel but it is kind of like asking three gangsters to vote with you to stop a fourth gangster from shaking you down for protection money.

That being said I have already emailed my Rep. asking him to support Amendment #185 to the State Budget and I will call the State House on Tuesday.

We live in hope [thinking]

Amendment XX – Firearm Licensing Administration

There is hereby established a Firearms Licensing Administrative Task Force to consist of: the commissioner of Department of Criminal Justice Informational Services or a designee; 1 person selected by the Gun Owners’ Action League, Inc.; 1 person selected by the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association; the Colonel of the Department of the State Police or a designee; the commissioner of the Department of Mental Health or a designee. The task force shall study and report on modernizing and streamlining the firearms licensing process within the Commonwealth.

They also need put a stop to filling out the entire app like your new to the process. Renewals should be as simple as, has anything changed from the last time you applied. They are going to run the check anyways.
Again, it varies from town to town. In Acton, nothing to fill out for renewals. Anything changed? No. Lose any guns? No. Prints are done and off to MIRCS. Quick and easy. (I agree that it should all go away). Jack.

A superior system I am sure.

However, the task force for study GOAL has proposed (language below) includes a representative from the MA Chiefs of Police Assoc. and it is highly unlikely that he is going to willing relinquish any of their fiefdoms, nor is it likely that the others on the task force will sack-up and demand the COPs step aside.

Yes GOAL has a representative on the panel but it is kind of like asking three gangsters to vote with you to stop a fourth gangster from shaking you down for protection money.

That being said I have already emailed my Rep. asking him to support Amendment #185 to the State Budget and I will call the State House on Tuesday.

We live in hope [thinking]

Always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS biased towards the tyrant maintaining power and control!!

If such a bullshit kangaroo court type advisory system must exist, then why not 5 randomly selected LTC holders and one chief of police?

The "system" will NEVER be fixed until it is eliminated. Until then, it is still and always will be open, IN YOUR FACE oppression of people's rights.

I don’t see how having someone from the Department of Mental Health is going to help, but I guess it’s needed if it has any chance of passing.

I don’t see how having someone from the Department of Mental Health is going to help, but I guess it’s needed if it has any chance of passing.

Its just another back door "camel's nose under the tent" so that the state has and maintains another avenue to persue in the future to enact a whole new set of laws and regulations to further intrude on people's rights and privacy.
The goal of the state is not to facilitate or protect people's rights, it is to restrict, diminish, oppress, and ultimately eliminate people's rights.

Until gun owners realize this and refuse anything but elimination of the state's "system" nothing will change.

mendment XX – Firearm Licensing Administration

There is hereby established a Firearms Licensing Administrative Task Force to consist of: the commissioner of Department of Criminal Justice Informational Services or a designee; 1 person selected by the Gun Owners’ Action League, Inc.; 1 person selected by the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association; the Colonel of the Department of the State Police or a designee; the commissioner of the Department of Mental Health or a designee. The task force shall study and report on modernizing and streamlining the firearms licensing process within the Commonwealth.

Great another f***ing committee, of doing nothing to make it better.
How about adding a fine for going over the 40 days. Fine the PD, and why can't it be a 5-7 day turn around? ...OH wait...fines are only for the unwashed.

The antis will say that this will "gut" the gun laws. The libs, not knowing the gun laws will agree. Jack.

More likely, I can see a bunch of sycophant MCOPA polishing police chiefs whining and bitching about this usurping their authority, even though it never actually does that at all, they'd still be pissed because it would
mean that they're on an official timer" .

-Mike

Does it have a chance at passing though?
Covered in another thread.

Bills filed "on behalf of" an individual or org have virtually ZERO chance of even rating a vote. They are deep sixed simply because they were not filed by a legislator.

Filing an "on behalf of" because you can't get a legislator to file it as a sponsor is a waste of time. This is MA legislative process 101. In the most optimistic reading, GOAL intended to make a statement knowing this was DOA.

Not surprised. The representatives weren’t getting anything out of it, so why bother listening to their constituency?

Back
Top Bottom