Glocks and Kahrs - where to buy?

wheelgun

NES Member
I was in Four Seasons the other day, looking for small 9mm. I asked to see a Glock 26 and either a Kahr PM9 or MK9. All they had was one used Glock 26. They said it's been very hard to get new ones. And as far as Kahr is concerned, they've been waiting for months and can't get any. I assume Coin Collectors and all the other dealers in the area will tell me the same thing.

I'm very leary of buying a used pistol since you never know why it was sold. I've bought NEW pistols that had FTF problems, so for me a used one is a scary proposition. Revolvers are an entirely different question.

Is it possible to find any of these small 9mm new in MA?

No new Glocks in Massachusetts [frown] They are not compliant.

Have no fear though, I have had MANY used glocks, and have never had any problems. If you are patient, you can find some realy sweet 3rd generation models out there. I've got a 26 and love it! [smile]

Perhaps some day our evil laws will change and all our $700 - $800 USED Glocks, will be replaced by $450 - $550 NEW Glocks like the rest of the country buys!

Not sure about the status of Kahrs [thinking]

No new Glocks in Massachusetts [frown] They are not compliant.

Have no fear though, I have had MANY used glocks, and have never had any problems. If you are patient, you can find some realy sweet 3rd generation models out there. I've got a 26 and love it! [smile]

Perhaps some day our evil laws will change and all our $700 - $800 USED Glocks, will be replaced by $450 - $550 NEW Glocks like the rest of the country buys!

Not sure about the status of Kahrs [thinking]

Yeah, I just found out about Glock's REAL status. Just another example of the State's incompetency. There are many Glocks currently listed on the "approved firearms roster" today, including the 26.

My dealer in South Hadley has a used G26 on the wall for $625 (IIRC). It's used but not in bad shape. He also has two Kahrs, again IIRC a 9 and a 40.

if you wanna new glock then become good friends with a cop...only way youre gonna get one

all of my glocks...23, 19, 29, 36, 20 are all 3rd gens from around 1998...exceot the 36 and 20 which are almost brand new

ive never had a problem of any kind with any of them

I just found out the other day that Kahr has a discount sales program for instructors. All you need is your instructor credentials and a signed copy of your dealer's FFL to receive it. PM9s and MK9s are $390 +$20S&H ($55 for night sights, $22 for extra mags). I've attached the order form to this message.

Ken

I just found out the other day that Kahr has a discount sales program for instructors. All you need is your instructor credentials and a signed copy of your dealer's FFL to receive it. PM9s and MK9s are $390 +$20S&H ($55 for night sights, $22 for extra mags). I've attached the order form to this message.

Sweet! Now if I could only find an FFL to receive one (or two).

I picked up a new (1997 manufacture date) Kahr K9 from K&R Target Sports in Hudson, MA just last Monday. Having said that, he was very helpful and might be worth checking with for others.

Glocks, not going to happen new but keep your eyes peeled for good deals on used ones.

Like Glock, Kahrs are also not approved by Herr Reilly for sale in Mass, because of him the only Glocks and Kahrs you can buy are used pre 1998 models. Good luck finding one for less than a new one would cost.

You'll almost never find a PM9 in MA, unless it's a LEO selling it or someone
brought one in as a move-in gun. (eg, private sale).

The MK9s on the other hand can be found if one is willing to look hard
enough and is willing to pay the price. I had found one for $475
once, but that'd be the exception rather than the rule. I ended up dumping it a
couple months later for $650 because I needed the money to fund buying my .308 rifle at
the time.

If you're willing to deal with .40 S+W, the .40s tended to be somewhat
easier to find... at least for awhile.

-Mike

Sweet! Now if I could only find an FFL to receive one (or two).

It's my understanding that an FFL will NOT help in this matter. Do not forget, per the "new" regs the pistol not only has to have been made pre-1998, but it has to have been registered in MA before '98

The only way to get non compliant handguns is to buy one off an LEO, or to move in with them (so if you know anyone who's moving to MA anytime soon... let me know)

It's my understanding that an FFL will NOT help in this matter. Do not forget, per the "new" regs the pistol not only has to have been made pre-1998, but it has to have been registered in MA before '98

I should have included a [thinking] to make things more clear. Having bought several Kahrs I'm aware of the unfortunate state of affairs here in the People's Republic.
One bright spot: Kahrs, being on the AFR, are legal for a Mass dealer to sell if they were made prior to 10/21/1998. It doesn't matter if they were in the Commonwealth on that date or not.

You should have no problem buying the used glocks from Four Season's. Most of the ones he has are rebuilt by Glock. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that give you some type of warranty with Glock.

In your search, if you do find a PM9 jump all over it. I luckily ran into one that I was able to purchase for $425 last year at the Marlboro Gun Show. Not sure how it came in the state, but it was being sold by a Mass FFL. SOLD!!!! I pocket carry this all the time. It's definitely a good shooting pistol as well.

No, Kahrs are what one calls "pre 98 importables" there is no prior
registration requirement for any Kahr thats on the list. The "double
whammy" requirement only appears to apply to guns which are not on
the EOPS roster. (eg, HK, Springfield, etc.).

-Mike

I should have included a [thinking] to make things more clear. Having bought several Kahrs I'm aware of the unfortunate state of affairs here in the People's Republic.
One bright spot: Kahrs, being on the AFR, are legal for a Mass dealer to sell if they were made prior to 10/21/1998. It doesn't matter if they were in the Commonwealth on that date or not.

Cool, right they are on The List. So to be clear, because they are not on the AG list as well we can't buy new ones, but we can buy used ones made prior to '98. For pistols made pre-'98 that are NOT on the list, we can still buy them, but they must have been MA registered prior to the ban?

Right?

You should have no problem buying the used glocks from Four Season's. Most of the ones he has are rebuilt by Glock. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that give you some type of warranty with Glock.

In your search, if you do find a PM9 jump all over it. I luckily ran into one that I was able to purchase for $425 last year at the Marlboro Gun Show. Not sure how it came in the state, but it was being sold by a Mass FFL. SOLD!!!! I pocket carry this all the time. It's definitely a good shooting pistol as well.

You probably got it from a dealer that didnt know it any better or through
a transfer dealer that didn't know any better. Not your problem. There
are still a few dealers here and there that tend to make "mistakes in our
favor", wether its intentional or unintentional. I'm not going to go any
further than that for obvious reasons. The bottom line is if you see
something that you want, it never hurts to ask! The worse they're going
to say is "we can't sell that to MA residents".

-Mike

Cool, right they are on The List. So to be clear, because they are not on the AG list as well we can't buy new ones, but we can buy used ones made prior to '98. For pistols made pre-'98 that are NOT on the list, we can still buy them, but they must have been MA registered prior to the ban?
Right?

Yes, for an FFL transfer, off-list guns generally have to have been "papered"
in MA prior to the cutoff date.

Of course, don't forget that for private transfers, none of this stuff
really matters.

-Mike

Of course, don't forget that for private transfers, none of this stuff
really matters.

-Mike

Just to be clear, the law is for the dealer, so it's OK for me to have pistol not on the list as long as I don't sell it?

I've never bought a pistol from a private person before, but now (after having my Carry permit for a few years) and dropping a couple grand on pistols from Gun stores, I'm considering going the "Want Ad" route on my next purchase.

So, if see a nice HK for sale, what's my responsibility as the buyer? Furthermore, if I had my FFL (somthing I've looked into), could I purchase an XD from Uncle up in NH?

Damm this stuff is confusing.....

Just to be clear, the law is for the dealer, so it's OK for me to have pistol not on the list as long as I don't sell it?

I've never bought a pistol from a private person before, but now (after having my Carry permit for a few years) and dropping a couple grand on pistols from Gun stores, I'm considering going the "Want Ad" route on my next purchase.

So, if see a nice HK for sale, what's my responsibility as the buyer? Furthermore, if I had my FFL (somthing I've looked into), could I purchase an XD from Uncle up in NH?

Damm this stuff is confusing.....

On private FTF sales in MA all you have to do is make sure that the seller
has a valid resident LTC and that you have the correct LTC required to posess
the gun, and that the paperwork gets filled out and sent to CHSB. You can get
the FA-10 forms to transfer guns from your local PD. As a seller, you can SELL
up to 4 guns per calendar year. As a buyer, there is no
limit to how many you can buy either via dealer or via private
sale.

If you had a Type 01 FFL, you could basically get any handgun you want...
(barring of course that you dont try to buy something from the scummy
FFLs that wont send anything to FFLs in MA, and yes, they do
exist.... ) but that option isn't feasible for most here unless they're going to
open a business that involves it.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom