Glock ND

"Chamber, magazine, safety, chamber. I hand you a condition 4 weapon"

When I (briefly) shipped with Military Sealift Command, our Chief Mate was a real stickler about this. You had to say exactly ^that^, while checking each thing as you said it. Which is good, i suppose...because just about everyone on board was an idiot...much like the guy in the video.

it isnt. thats why this separate thread was created. it just happened to be brought up in the siderlock thread first.

Thanks, it has nothing to do with that dumb sliderlock as nateo mentioned. I thought it was an interrsting story and BTW I bought a Glock 23 today!

In that GT thread, several others posted their experiences, including one who racked the slide multiple times, but had a broken extractor, so without a visual / tactile chamber check, there was still a live round in the chamber... slide closes, trigger pull, BANG.

We can all use reminders to PRACTICE those safety rules that we all KNOW by heart...

We had a Soldier that had to learn the hard way about proper clearing procedures:

Outside of Army dining facilities, barracks, and admin. buildings there are clearing barrels set out to allow for the safe clearing of rifles and sidearms. At dining facilities, those barrels are usually monitored by a detailed Soldier in order to ensure compliance with the post policy.

We were involved in a training operation conducting perimeter defense of a field site, and we had our M-16s with blanks, MILES gear, and blank adapters.

So in a long line of Soldiers waiting for dinner, a Soldier took their turn at the clearing barrel, racked the charging handle, ejecting a live blank, and squeezed the trigger. BANG! Shocked faces all around. The Soldier looks puzzled, racks the charging handle again, and (predictably, to us) it goes BANG again... and yet a third time, BANG! Finally, some of the bystanders stopped laughing long enough to yell "Drop the magazine FIRST!"

The Soldier had to report to the Commander, and was assigned duty at the clearing barrel for each meal for the following week. I think that the lesson was sufficiently learned by everyone there...

On another note, I'll bet any of the service members who were overseas could tell some incredible stories... I know that EVERY clearing barrel that I saw overseas had at least one hole in its lid... that means not only was there a negligent discharge, but the barrel was not inserted into the mouth of the barrel either. I know, we always blamed those holes on the foreign security guards or on the contractors who were armed... it COULDN'T have been Soldiers or Marines, right?

Just remember, that the more we handle our firearms, the more comfortable we get with them... Sometimes, comfort breeds a casual or even a careless attitude... and with careless attitudes come careless practices...

As Mom used to say, "Let this be a lesson to you, young man!"

Last edited:
So in a long line of Soldiers waiting for dinner, a Soldier took their turn at the clearing barrel, racked the charging handle, ejecting a live blank, and squeezed the trigger. BANG! Shocked faces all around. The Soldier looks puzzled, racks the charging handle again, and (predictably, to us) it goes BANG again... and yet a third time, BANG! Finally, some of the bystanders stopped laughing long enough to yell "Drop the magazine FIRST!"

"

many moons ago, a young PFC i know did this inside the Arms room... i've been good ever since... this was peace time, post-somalia / haiti pre-bosnia

i was new to the "Army" and it was my first time after a long external evaluation... o'dark thirty... turning in weapons on day "zero" of recovery.... all i could think about was taking a shower and eating some take out... [laugh] mind was not on the rifle...

interestingly enough, in Kosovo my unit had a SAW cook off out in sector.. and an AD in one of the guard shacks... our parter unit had a guy put a round through his foot.

again, we never chambered a round per se, and the SAWs were bolt forward, with the rounds on top.... with the tray closed....

vs. Iraq... our weapons were always hot, except for the d-fac tent... we had zero ADs / NDs [thinking]

I think it was from years of armed watch standing in the Navy and the process of weapon turnover that has ingrained things in my head.
1. Release magazine
2. Lock back the slide
3. Visually inspect chamber to verify clear.
4. Turn over weapon to relief personnel with slide locked back.

Be safe.

That's the way you do it! Money for nothing. Chicks for free.

A young fellow that I know was in the 101st during the Iraq invasion. One of his squad mates decided to clean his AR15, without unloading it. He had a negligent discharge, which hit another squad mate.

The trooper who had the ND had to be sent home because he could no longer walk. His fellow squad mates had initiated some percussive retraining.

Back
Top Bottom