• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock ND

Nothing good ever comes from the .40 . Had to say it.

Be safe our there guys (and ladies). It doesn't take but a moment of stupidity (or bad habits that you didn't know you had) for something like this to happen.

This is the description....

Shot myself in the ankle while unloading my Glock. I was sitting at my computer desk, pointed the gun in between my legs toward the floor. Racked the slide, THEN ,ejected the mag, pulled the trigger, all in less than 1.5 seconds.

Moral of the story.... what's the rush, in administrative handling? (Why do you need to clear and take down a glock (or any other handgun) in 1.5 seconds?) That.... and muzzle discipline. Before I pull the trigger on any firearm for administrative purposes, it's always pointed at something that won't cause a problem if the gun were still loaded.

Another ingrained habit I got into is multiple slide cycles. If you accidentally leave the mag in, the multiple rounds spilling out of the gun will serve as a clue that you missed a step. Drop mag, cycle the slide a few times, lock open slide, check chamber, check mag again....

-Mike

Lets see, attempting to clear the gun, chambered a round instead, and then discharged into foot. The gadget lock is relevent how?

guy is a moron

ND is an understatement

How much you want to bet he was making a youtube video on how fast he could takedown the Glock?

I couldn't hit mute on my speakers fast enough. Frigging Creed.

It would only have been worse if it was that Delilah song or hey soul sister... [rofl] MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!

I think the gonk or the benny hill theme would have been more appropriate.

-Mike

The Creed really sealed the deal for me. I am sorry he got hurt, but as others have said he should have been practicing a bit more safety than racking the slide once, pointing the gun at himself, and pulling the trigger.

Before I pull the trigger on any firearm for administrative purposes, it's always pointed at something that won't cause a problem if the gun were still loaded.
-Mike

My instructor at MFS did a good job of teaching this newbie that very basic handling concept. I always evaluate my surroundings and isolate the nearest "safe wall" i.e. concrete, side of the house facing the woods, etc.

Looks like mishandling and complacency played a factor here.

Lets see, attempting to clear the gun, chambered a round instead, and then discharged into foot. The gadget lock is relevent how?

it isnt. thats why this separate thread was created. it just happened to be brought up in the siderlock thread first.

I believe I read on his original thread that he is 20, not saying booze wasn't involved but I think being overly cocky with a weapon was. I am not much older than he, but when I am around or operating a firearm safety is my #1 concern.

I rarely post in firearms discussions. I do like guns, but I don't own 50 of them and have 10,000 rounds in every caliber like a lot of you guys do. I am a casual gun guy, not a gun nut.
[rofl][rofl]

i stopped there. can't see the youtube video at work. lemme guess, typical "you tuber" ???

Nothing special. Him talking about the cast and how he can't walk followed by a bunch of still pics of the wound and him in the hospital.

Moral of the story.... what's the rush, in administrative handling? (Why do you need to clear and take down a glock (or any other handgun) in 1.5 seconds?) That.... and muzzle discipline. Before I pull the trigger on any firearm for administrative purposes, it's always pointed at something that won't cause a problem if the gun were still loaded.
Agreed. Take your time. Make sure you are seeing what is there, not what you want to see is there, when you check the chamber.

Another ingrained habit I got into is multiple slide cycles.
The other thing that I do is that I always lock the slide open do a final chamber check.

I do this too, great peace of mind right before cleaning. I always inspect the unloaded gun with magazine removed and slide locked back before I begin disassembly.

Yup. Physically put your finger into the open mag well and the empty chamber to ensure that your eyes aren't deceiving you -- sometimes we see what we want to see, not what is there.

I think it was from years of armed watch standing in the Navy and the process of weapon turnover that has ingrained things in my head.
1. Release magazine
2. Lock back the slide
3. Visually inspect chamber to verify clear.
4. Turn over weapon to relief personnel with slide locked back.

Whenever I pickup a gun, hand it to someone etc.. I always think back to doing a watch turnover and weapon safety and immediately release the magazine and inspect the chamber with the weapon pointed in a safe direction.
If you make this type of routine mandatory in your head you will at least minimize a ND from happening (can't help you if just have no common sense).

Be safe.

Yeah, no way anything but a Glock would go bang if you chambered a round and pulled the trigger. Damned reliable Glocks...

I think it was from years of armed watch standing in the Navy and the process of weapon turnover that has ingrained things in my head.
1. Release magazine
2. Lock back the slide
3. Visually inspect chamber to verify clear.
4. Turn over weapon to relief personnel with slide locked back.
+1 USN

Back
Top Bottom