Glock mag changes

I'm getting tired of having to pull empty or depleted mags out of my .40 caliber Glock. It takes too damn long and requires 3 hands to change mags quickly. Does anyone have a solution?

I'm not quite sure how to answer this. My Glocks don't seem to have this problem. Can you elaborate?

If you have non-drop-free mags, also known as non-fully-metal-lined mags, you might try an extreme fix: sand down the sides that are rubbing. Go easy!

You could also sell your NFML mags and get some drop-frees...

If you have non-drop-free mags, also known as non-fully-metal-lined mags, you might try an extreme fix: sand down the sides that are rubbing. Go easy!

You could also sell your NFML mags and get some drop-frees...

Are they labeled as such? I have the same issue with my 27.

Thanks to all. Yes, the problem is that the plastic mags expand under spring pressure and then drag in the mag well even when empty.

Yep. But I found that my mags are the FML, and still drag if I don't press hard on the release button. [thinking]

Something to get use to.

I just got off the phone with Glock in GA and suposedly, from a Canadian customer who had a similar problem, 2 coats (highly buffed) of a liquid surfboard wax called "SEX WAX" will let the mags fall out like goose you-know-what through a tin horn. I'm gonna try it.

They do make "extended controls" for the mag release and also the slide stop if you want to go that route. I've never used them but they do exist.

Whatever you put on the mag, keep it away from the ammunition (primers) if you rely on this pistol for anything important.

Whatever you put on the mag, keep it away from the ammunition (primers) if you rely on this pistol for anything important.

For sure. The wax will be applied to an uncharged magazine and buffed out hard and dry before any cartriges go near it.

I'm have ing some trouble finding "liquid" wax. I've found several outlets on the web for solid wax (it's a little sticky) but nothing for liquid. I may try a good quality floor wax.

I'm, confused about the large capacity issue with regard to Glock pre and post-ban magazines.

I'm about to purchase a Glock 17C. My understanding is that it comes with a 17 round mag.

I have a Class "A" LTC in MA. Will these mags be legal or do I have to purchase 10 round mags for it?

I'm, confused about the large capacity issue with regard to Glock pre and post-ban magazines.

I'm about to purchase a Glock 17C. My understanding is that it comes with a 17 round mag.

I have a Class "A" LTC in MA. Will these mags be legal or do I have to purchase 10 round mags for it?

So long as your large cap. mags pre-date the Federal Assault Weapons Ban that started in September of 1994, your possession of those mags is totally legal.

If you are not sure if your mags are pre-ban, either do some research or ask someone who knows. You could also post a picture here of any mag you are suspicious of and one of us can let you know whether what you have is legal here.

Cross-X,

Thank you for the information. I guess I don't have rights to post attachments here. So, I won't be able to post pictures of the mags.

The Glock was purchased by a friend in NH about a year ago, and as I mentioend, came with 2 17-round mags.

I will inquire of a MA FFL. I'll have to go through one in MA and one in NH to eb able to transfer it anyhow.

Maybe you can answer another question for me. I've seen other popsts that seemd to indicate that Glocks are banned in MA. Is that true? I have seen Glocks listed on the MA Approved Firearms Roster as of 12/06.

Thanks,

Alex

Alex, the best way to post pictures is to sign up for a free account somewhere like photobucket.com and then post the link here, that is what most of us do. There are detailed instructions in a Sticky above the forums that are worth reading.

I contend that there is NO clear answer about pre-ban vs. "illegal to possess" Glock mags . . . this is based on info in Patrick Sweeney's book and my phone conversation with a Glock-US Tech Supt person some time ago, plus some more info that has come to light more recently.

Change your User CP to show ALL Threads and try an Advanced Search on "Glock" or "Magazines" (as part of the TITLE, don't search for these words "anywhere in thread" or you'll be buried in potential hits) in the Gun Laws forum and I hope some good info will fall out. I quoted Pat Sweeney's book, etc. in one of those old threads. Worth reading.

Glocks are not banned in MA. In fact no handguns are "banned". There are restrictions on what a MA DEALER can sell, but NO such restrictions on what two LTC-holders (who are both MA Residents) can sell/transfer. Again, the Advanced Search I noted above should get you detailed info on this.

HTH

Most of the Glock " pre-ban " mags for the 17's I have are the NFML construction with the rounded opening at the back. There are probably some FML mags that are also pre-ban but I haven't looked up on it. Be careful of some of the 17 round hi-caps available - they have the evil "LEO/MIL use only" stamped on the body - supposedly not for civilian use in MA.

At the worst you can do is get some of the 10rd bastard mags and use them for practice mags while you look for and hoard the pre-ban mags for later. I do this myself and keeps me from breaking good mags!

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom