Glock Frame Serial Question... or talking point? Duplicate weapons.

At the range with a friend comparing my Gen 2.5 G29 to his Gen 3 G30. The only difference between our frames is the rail on his, which is just a generational difference. His upper will fit on my lower and work perfectly, and vice versa. My pistol was made in 1997 and his was made in 2002 - he hadn't known the date as he bought it second hand, so I showed him how to look it up by serial number.

My train of thought is as follows...

The serials on Glocks are 3 letters (date) and 3 numbers (assumedly in order, for that day of production). There's nothing I can find on either frame that says whether it was born a Glock 29 or a Glock 30, they're 100% interchangeable, and it seems like a lot of Glocks end up with different caliber slides and/or frames than they had from the factory. Obviously, unlike most handguns, Glock serializes their slide and barrel as well, but the frame is the key part as far as the ATF is concerned for a transfer and is what you're using to do an EFA10.

Does Glock use one progression of serial plates for ALL pistols produced in a day, or a different progression of serial plates per model?
If the latter is the case, do they make multiple models on the same day, or do daily/weekly runs by model?
Has their serial system changed in any way during the later part of Gen3 or the advent of Gen4?

By the old (or current) standard the first G29 born today would have this serial # N (March) WY (2017) 001 (first of the day) = NWY001

What about the first G30?

In the back of my mind is the a freak occurrence. What if (a big what-if) an MA resident had a G30 frame made on the same day as my G29, and wound up putting a 10mm slide/barrel on it, would they potentially be on the books as the same pistol? Obviously the answer is to EFA10 as a G30 but mark the caliber as 10mm, but odds-on most people list the model on their slide.

Admittedly I don't know a ton about Glocks, just chewing this over.

Last edited:
I was told (by Mark Doneburgh, with Glock before he got indicted) it was sequentional AA00-AA99, the AB00-AB99, them moving to AA000 after ZZ99. I don't believe any date info is coded into specific digits of the serial.

Single character prefixes are for frames, slides and bbls made as replacements (G for the frame, S for the slide, L for the bbl). If you have a slide, bbl or frame replaced and get a two or three letter prefix, it was salvaged from a full gun.

And, if the serial number is upside down, it could be for the order for the Detroit PD (to make it easier to read when the guns are in their racks).

Back
Top Bottom