glock 26 or glock 27

ok so I am choosing between a 26 and 27. i own a s&99 compact 40 now. a little choppy but doesn't really bother me. People keep saying 9mm ammo is cheaper but the ammo price means nothing to me....looking for any feedback comparing the two guns...thanks

I haven't shot either of them, but I have a G23 and a 9mm conversion barrel. I would think that 9mm would be more fun to shoot in the small frame. I suppose it all depends on your plans for use.

If price of ammo means nothing... then it boils down to capacity... personal caliber preference... and preference in recoil.

G26 - 10 +1 rounds, Less recoil.
G27 - 9 +1 rounds, More recoil.

If you have no preference in caliber and don't mind the recoil... then.... I guess you should try and shoot both side by side and see which you like better.

ok so I am choosing between a 26 and 27. i own a s&99 compact 40 now. a little choppy but doesn't really bother me. People keep saying 9mm ammo is cheaper but the ammo price means nothing to me....looking for any feedback comparing the two guns...thanks

My vote is for the 26.

40 does nothing for me. It's more expensive than 9...and for really no reason. It's more recoil...and for what?
I sold all the 40S&W guns I used to own.

I've shot both and don't like the 27 because of the greater recoil. I'm not fond of either round for defense but I don't think the .40 is better than the 9mm. I carry a .45.

Had a 27 and sold it. I like to shoot and shoot often. This gun is not fun to shoot. GREAT carry gun and an effective round but not worth the recoil and I am not recoil-shy.

If you haven't shot a lot 26 would likely be a better first choice......

I have a 27 and it really isn't bad at all.....I still actually prefer the G30sf just bought the 27 for summer carry.

If you can try both. I did and found i shot the 27 slightly better (don't know why just did). I shoot 180 grain and find the muzzle flip to be slightly less than when shooting 165 grain. Also as was previously stated you can buy a 9mm conversion barrel for the 27 but can't buy a 40 conversion for the 26. Ultimately buy what you shoot best but in my opinion the 27 is an overall better value.

I've owned both and sold the 27. I prefer the 26. It is much more controllable in rapid fire. The smallest frame I can control in 40 is the 23.

I have a 27 and I have to agree with Buck . The recoil makes it hard to shoot on a regular basis plus its hard to be consistent in my patterns. I just bought a 9 M& P and what a difference.. I can actually shot it with out hurting my hand.

I have both of these small glocks and actually like to shoot them both.Surprisingly both guns are very accurate for small frame gun . But G27 does have more recoil and you have to get use to it, where G26 very smooth and bit easier to shoot. G26 and G27 my summer guns because of size and number of rounds. But i prefer G30 or HK USP 45 compact.
You should try both before committing to one or another. If you in Mass there is American Firearms school/range in North Attelboro they have both guns for rental so just try it yourself.

I found I couldn't shoot accurate pairs with the 27 so I sold that and got a 26. Much happier with the ability to hit accurate and faster follow-up shots. Like having a couple more shots too.

do people really have such issues with not being able to shoot .40? Im in friggin awe here. I am speechless. Its a .40, not a torpedo.

If ammo cost doesn't matter to you, I have some ammo for sale.

I'd go with the 26. Nothing good can come of the 40S&W.

you trust your life to 9mm? for shame, sir!

Oh Graham... Silly Graham. We've already established that 9mm is the best round for bears [smile]

do people really have such issues with not being able to shoot .40? Im in friggin awe here. I am speechless. Its a .40, not a torpedo.

No one's saying they can't shoot .40. They're saying 9mm is easier to shoot than .40. Is that so hard to understand? [grin]

Last edited:

.40 is not hard to shoot at all. I have no issues shooting it. I used to own a Glock 23.
I just have no desire to ever do so when there is plenty of 9mm or 45 to shoot. It's a worthless round in my opinion.

G26 hands down. I'm not a huge fan of small .40 S+W pistols... although the G27 is pretty nice, it's not as easy to deal with as a 26 is. Not to mention the resale value of a G26 is way, way better if you ever decide to part ways with it.

-Mike

Last edited:
I have owned both and would say the G27 based purely on the fact that if you dont like it you can get a cheap conversion barrel and have two calibers instead of one. You could even buy the 357sig barrel and have another option. The 26 is solid and beautiful but I prefer the 27 simply because I own a 23.

If you learned proper recoil control, then you could shoot them equally, you just need more practice. [smile]

There is alot to be said for the 27 having drop in conversion barrels for 357 sig and 9mm. Can't do that with the 26....

As far as the 40 being hard to control [rofl].........

Since you already own a pistol in .40, I would get the G27. I hate going to Walmart or a gunshop looking for ten different types of ammo. It makes more sense to me, having multiple guns in one caliber. If one breaks, you can use the ammo in another gun.

Back
Top Bottom