• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 19 with 750,000 rounds.

Reptile

NES Member
http://www.kellymccanncombatives.com/?itemCategory=34163&siteid=314&priorId=0

"Tried and true, my Glock 19. Estimated rounds through this pistol? Over 750K - the only significant thing I ever replaced was the parts package included in their "voluntary upgrade" years ago. I've used skateboard tape on it, an extended mag release, cut off the magazine well vertical lips, ground off the trigger guard and used a bicycle inner tube grip for years (works especially well by spraying DEET insect repellant on it then wiping it off with a cloth (NOT a paper towel). Makes the rubber super tacky). The finish wore off a long time ago. It's just getting broken in! It looks so nasty, when Gaston Glock saw it years ago at a "Guns and Ammo" writer's event and shoot, he offered to give me a new one...! Couldn't see the wisdom in switching from a pistol I'd become so accustomed to, to a new one - but I appreciated his offer. I switched to the Docter Optic sight years ago for two reasons - sight picture commonality with my carbine holographic sight and failing vision - yes, it's true - the eyes DO go first."

The M&P is only good for 60,000 before the slide gets cracks.

Chuck Taylor wrote about his 270,000 round G17 in the 2004 Glock Annual. I would think it's a little higher by now.

Glocks seem to have a better life span.

Note: do not get DEET near you Glock. Not good for the polymer.

That was one M&P, and it was still safe to shoot.

I'd love to see some sort of documentation suggesting a 750K round count.;

Chuck Taylor wrote about his 270,000 round G17 in the 2004 Glock Annual. I would think it's a little higher by now.

Glocks seem to have a better life span.

As much as I like Glocks this kind of lifespan testing doesn't mean a whole lot, in the grand scheme of things.

Think about it- what you've spent if you put 50,000 rounds through a handgun... you've paid for the handgun many times, even if you're reloading.

For me, that would be like $6K worth of ammo. (And I reload too, if I didn't, it'd probably be more like 8K or more. ) If I manage to blow up (whatever) in that interval, I can probably afford to buy another one. [laugh] 9mm would probably be about 5 grand worth of ammo. Buying another gun at that point is mouse milk.

High round counts are cool but a lot of guns can do that. There are also Sig P228s out there with 100K+ round counts. A G19 with 100K plus doesn't surprise me at all- I'd almost -expect- it to do that, being that the G17/G19 are legendary in their class.

-Mike

Last edited:

ONE M&P was good for 60,000 rounds before the slided cracked.

Then S&W looks at its machining and heat treatment processes, prevents that from ever happening again, and gives the guy with the broken pistol a new slide.

[rolleyes]

My money stays in Springfield, thank you very much.

As much as I like Glocks this kind of lifespan testing doesn't mean a whole lot, in the grand scheme of things.

Think about it- what you've spent if you put 50,000 rounds through a handgun... you've paid for the handgun many times, even if you're reloading.

For me, that would be like $6K worth of ammo. (And I reload too, if I didn't, it'd probably be more like 8K or more. ) If I manage to blow up (whatever) in that interval, I can probably afford to buy another one. [laugh] 9mm would probably be about 5 grand worth of ammo. Buying another gun at that point is mouse milk.

High round counts are cool but a lot of guns can do that. There are also Sig P228s out there with 100K+ round counts. A G19 with 100K plus doesn't surprise me at all- I'd almost -expect- it to do that, being that the G17/G19 are legendary in their class.

-Mike

+1

The info on the glock was fine, but crapping on the Smith was pointless, because now we are just going to get into the old my gun vs. your gun and glocks go KABOOM pissing contest and make this thread a big waste of time.

Last edited:
I just heard from Kelly. He had the gun since 1989 and averaged 3,000 rounds a month for the past 20 years. He said that often he shot 5,000 rounds a month for his internal qualifications but not when he was deployed. That is how he got the 3,000 average round mark.

I would love to take some of his classes.

Back
Top Bottom