Glock 17 to Glock 34 conversion

Is it possible to convert a G17 to an IDPA legal G34? I live in MA, so I do not believe I can get glock parts. Has anyone done this, etc.

Thanks.

Yes. You can simply take off the Glock 17 slide assembly and put on a Glock 34 slide assembly.

You can also get customer slides, and barrels from Lone Wolf and convert an exsisting Glock 17 to 34 that way.

Last edited:
I'm sure these are dumb questions (probably answered elsewhere), but can I order the custom slides and barrels online (as a mass resident)?

Would the gun then be legal for IDPA competition?

It is very frustrating living in MA. It we be much easier and cheaper if I could just go out and buy a G34.

Thanks.

While it is physically possible to do (G34 slide on a G17 frame), i don't believe that this is an IDPA legal modification to put a different length slide on a factory gun.

Sounds silly, as both guns use the exact same frame, but I believe that this is the ruling from IDPA HQ.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Steve

While it is physically possible to do (G34 slide on a G17 frame), i don't believe that this is an IDPA legal modification to put a different length slide on a factory gun.

Sounds silly, as both guns use the exact same frame, but I believe that this is the ruling from IDPA HQ.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Steve

That wouldn't shock me, although it was my impression that guys replaces slides and especially barrels with performance equipment. Perhaps that isn't IDPA legal or perhaps it is legal provided you don't change the gun's model?

I am not familiar with IDPA but such conversions are not allowed in USPSA Production class. It is silly because such a conversion offers no advantage to the shooter over the stock pistol; the only way you can detect this swap is by checking the serial number. This is too bad because such swaps are often the only way MA shooters can get their hands on a 34 or 35.

I am not familiar with IDPA but such conversions are not allowed in USPSA Production class. It is silly because such a conversion offers no advantage to the shooter over the stock pistol; the only way you can detect this swap is by checking the serial number. This is too bad because such swaps are often the only way MA shooters can get their hands on a 34 or 35.

Not entirely true....lots of the MA guys have 34's and 35's. It just takes some looking around and patience.

Steve

Not entirely true....lots of the MA guys have 34's and 35's. It just takes some looking around and patience.

Steve

These guns are not approved for sale in MA. This makes it a lot harder to buy one than to add a longer slide and barrel to a Glock that you already own.

If you price out the components to build a G34 upper-
slide
internal slide components- springs, firing pin, extractor, safety pin, recoil rod and spring etc
barrel
Stock cheap Glock front and rear sights

You will see that the above would total $400+.

This would give you one gun that you could swap uppers on. There is so little difference that if you built this for IDPA or USPSA, you probably will never use the G17 slide again. The resale value of the gun with both uppers may not get you dollar for dollar what you paid.

If you look at the alternative option, buy a new G34, sell the G17, calculate the delta and for a lot less money you have yourself a brand new G34.

If you price out the components to build a G34 upper-
slide
internal slide components- springs, firing pin, extractor, safety pin, recoil rod and spring etc
barrel
Stock cheap Glock front and rear sights

You will see that the above would total $400+.

This would give you one gun that you could swap uppers on. There is so little difference that if you built this for IDPA or USPSA, you probably will never use the G17 slide again. The resale value of the gun with both uppers may not get you dollar for dollar what you paid.

If you look at the alternative option, buy a new G34, sell the G17, calculate the delta and for a lot less money you have yourself a brand new G34.

There is no option in USPSA Production Class. You cannot legally convert a 22 to a 35 or a 17 to a 34.

There is no option in USPSA Production Class. You cannot legally convert a 22 to a 35 or a 17 to a 34.

The lower receivers for the G17 and G34 are identical. If you retrofitted the G17 with a G34 upper, it would be impossible for anyone to affirmatively disqualify a shooter under this scenario. So even though the new USPSA rules seem to disallow this, in practice it would appear to be a non-issue.

Because many Glock receivers are shared by different models, I have to believe that this USPSA rule will be revisited. There is absolutely no difference or competitive advantage involved with someone making a G17 a G34. The converted G34 is identical to any other G34. Creating rules which can not be enforced makes no sense.

The lower receivers for the G17 and G34 are identical. If you retrofitted the G17 with a G34 upper, it would be impossible for anyone to affirmatively disqualify a shooter under this scenario. So even though the new USPSA rules seem to disallow this, in practice it would appear to be a non-issue.

Because many Glock receivers are shared by different models, I have to believe that this USPSA rule will be revisited. There is absolutely no difference or competitive advantage involved with someone making a G17 a G34. The converted G34 is identical to any other G34. Creating rules which can not be enforced makes no sense.

I'm on your side, BUT this issue was addressed by John Amidon in his column in "Front Sight". He maintained that for a gun to be eligible for Production, it must be as built by the factory and specifically addressed parts swapping as verboten. I don't think this will pose a problem in local matches, but could get you in trouble at a major match. Unfortuately, this ruling can be enforced by checking the serial number. Again, I agree with you and hope that Amidon, et al see the light.

I'm on your side, BUT this issue was addressed by John Amidon in his column in "Front Sight". He maintained that for a gun to be eligible for Production, it must be as built by the factory and specifically addressed parts swapping as verboten. I don't think this will pose a problem in local matches, but could get you in trouble at a major match. Unfortuately, this ruling can be enforced by checking the serial number. Again, I agree with you and hope that Amidon, et al see the light.

This was the point of my prior thread.

There are many "legal" situations where the barrel SN and the receiver SN do not match.
- conforming after market barrel
- damaged/ defective barrel replaced with another Glock barrel, new or used
- damaged/defective receiver replaced with another Glock receiver, new or used

This was the point of my prior thread.

There are many "legal" situations where the barrel SN and the receiver SN do not match.
- conforming after market barrel
- damaged/ defective barrel replaced with another Glock barrel, new or used
- damaged/defective receiver replaced with another Glock receiver, new or used

This is not the case of a serial number not "matching". It is a case of a Glock 22 receiver with a five inch 35 barrel and slide. The serial number on the receiver will ID it as a 22 and the presence of a 35 barrel and slide will render the pistol illegal for USPSA Production class. Serial numbers and any other marking on the slide and barrel are meaningless. All you need is a 22 with a five inch barrel and slide and you are in violation of the rules. Again, I think this is BS but it is the rule last time I checked. I am sitting on a 22 with a five inch barrel and slide that I can't compete with.

I am sure that the actual SN can be traced back to Glock who could in fact identify how it originally left the factory. But this is not going to happen in the middle of a match, nor do I think that any match director is ever going to start recording people SN's for further follow up.

Also, from info on other websites, the G17, G17L, G22, G24, G31, G34, G35 and G37 share the same frame. I also found where the same 1st three alpha letters in the SN were used by Glock on different models. I didn't do an exhaustive search so I don't know if this is true for G17 and G34.

Unless you are one of the handful of world class shooters who may have something at stake, you have absolutely nothing at all to worry about. You are being too paranoid. Enjoy your G35.

Back
Top Bottom