• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Giraurd Trimmer

How many weeks were you looking at for delivery? I heard there is six week wait.

Last edited:
I ordered Giraurd trimmer yesterday... they are saying six to eight weeks for shipping... YIKES!

With summer vacations, getting kids ready for school and college and all, I probably won't get to use this beast until September... sniff, sniff...

Rich

OMG, I must be getting old. I blended this thread in with the crimp ring discussion from the other thread, and was imagining removing crimp rings with this borrowed machine.

Thanks for the yank back into reality. [coffee]

If you are a high volume reloader this is an absolute must have. I have personally wasted money on just about every trimmer out there, before I admitted it was stupid to continue to wast hundreds of hours trimming enough brass to keep my dillon fed. Black ones, green ones, yellow ones, orange ones, metal ones, they all fall WAY short of doug girauds little invention. Also, if you are loading multiple calibers buy the additional cutter and head. It's worth every penny of the 40 or 50 bucks they charge for it. Honestly, there is something awesome about buying an American product, from a family who produces them. The wife runs the phones, the kids pack your new trimmer in state of the art packing materials and you know you got something hand built in the USA, that isn't going to fall apart or even loose value. (selling point to the wife) In addition you cut your overall case prep time down to about 1/4 of what it used to be; and who wouldn't love that? I can feed my dillion for a couple of hours every three days with two of us on the bench. Resize, Trim, Uniform the Flash Hole, Tumble, Load. No more f'n around with little hand tools to chamfer or debur, and honestly if that takes you 4 seconds to do on average, and you've got thousands of cases to go... That three four or five seconds to trim, debur, and chamfer really ads up. 4 seconds times 35,000 pieces of brass is almost 40 hours just on trimming deburing and chamfering... With the Giruad, you'll do the same 35,000 cases in about 10 hours. AWSOME PRODUCT, can't say enough about it, and I love it if it doesn't show.

If you are a high volume reloader this is an absolute must have. I have personally wasted money on just about every trimmer out there, before I admitted it was stupid to continue to wast hundreds of hours trimming enough brass to keep my dillon fed. Black ones, green ones, yellow ones, orange ones, metal ones, they all fall WAY short of doug girauds little invention. Also, if you are loading multiple calibers buy the additional cutter and head. It's worth every penny of the 40 or 50 bucks they charge for it. Honestly, there is something awesome about buying an American product, from a family who produces them. The wife runs the phones, the kids pack your new trimmer in state of the art packing materials and you know you got something hand built in the USA, that isn't going to fall apart or even loose value. (selling point to the wife) In addition you cut your overall case prep time down to about 1/4 of what it used to be; and who wouldn't love that? I can feed my dillion for a couple of hours every three days with two of us on the bench. Resize, Trim, Uniform the Flash Hole, Tumble, Load. No more f'n around with little hand tools to chamfer or debur, and honestly if that takes you 4 seconds to do on average, and you've got thousands of cases to go... That three four or five seconds to trim, debur, and chamfer really ads up. 4 seconds times 35,000 pieces of brass is almost 40 hours just on trimming deburing and chamfering... With the Giruad, you'll do the same 35,000 cases in about 10 hours. AWSOME PRODUCT, can't say enough about it, and I love it if it doesn't show.

I've thought about this product myself but an experience with the RCBS trimmer that cuts length, and chamfers both the ID and OD kept me from buying one. With the RCBS, the cases were cut to length OK but the chamfer on the ID and OD would not run concentric with the case. Drove me crazy looking at uneven chamfers! Does the Giraurd cut both chamfers evenly? I'm thinking that they do as the case indexes on the shoulder but haven't seen any cases that have been done on one. Anyone have any pics of trimmed cases?
Bob

For what it may be worth, I have a garden variety RCBS Rotary Trimmer that I converted to run powered by a corded power drill. I just got through trimming several K 5.56 cases in reasonable time with reasonable effort.

I would stay away from cutters that claim to do chamfering while trimming.

For what it may be worth, I have a garden variety RCBS Rotary Trimmer that I converted to run powered by a corded power drill. I just got through trimming several K 5.56 cases in reasonable time with reasonable effort.

I would stay away from cutters that claim to do chamfering while trimming.

It is not BS. WHich have you tried, Giraud or Gracey? They need to be set up specifically for caliber you are working with. They are both great from what I have read and seen.

Will post pics of trimmed cases soon. About as perfect a trim as I have seen from any trimmer. Came set from factory at 1.755 in. (on .223)
Every case I have measured is either 1.755 or 1.756. I figure trimming to 1/1000th of an inch consistently is pretty good and the chamfer and debur is perfect.

Oh, and you can trim cases as fast as you can pick them up.

Last edited:
trimmed cases to 1.750.......

I've been using my Giraud for 1 year (+/-); it's outstanding! Yes, it cuts and chamfers evenly.

[Click to Enlarge Photos]

Last edited:
I've thought about this product myself but an experience with the RCBS trimmer that cuts length, and chamfers both the ID and OD kept me from buying one. With the RCBS, the cases were cut to length OK but the chamfer on the ID and OD would not run concentric with the case. Drove me crazy looking at uneven chamfers! Does the Giraurd cut both chamfers evenly? I'm thinking that they do as the case indexes on the shoulder but haven't seen any cases that have been done on one. Anyone have any pics of trimmed cases?
Bob

The uneven chamfers could be the result of brass which isn't concentric, the neck is misaligned. Lee has a die to cure this problem. I have been using an RCBS power trimmer for several years and love it.

I think you could do it either way. Trim first or size first, depending on how long you trim. For consistency, I like to size first, then trim. Thanks Boston 007 for posting the pics. I won't clutter up the board with more, since that is exactly what my trims look like. Very consistent. Am getting into loading 6.8 SPC so will be getting that conversion for the trimmer eventually.

Edit: I ran a few non-sized, once fired fiocchi just to test the trimmer when it first arrived. They fit in ok, maybe just a little snug, but what Boston 007 said about not fitting is probably true with some brass, obviously depending on how much stretch after firing. Resizing first is always better.

Last edited:
I think you could do it either way. Trim first or size first, depending on how long you trim. For consistency, I like to size first, then trim. Thanks Boston 007 for posting the pics. I won't clutter up the board with more, since that is exactly what my trims look like. Very consistent. Am getting into loading 6.8 SPC so will be getting that conversion for the trimmer eventually.

You don't have any problems trimming before you size the cases? I have a lot of cases that won't fit into the trimmer if not sized first.
I converted my trimmer a couple of times, from .223 to 6.5 Grendel; it's an easy process. My only issue has been re-adjusting the case adjustment nut back to my original setting for .223 cases.

You don't have any problems trimming before you size the cases? I have a lot of cases that won't fit into the trimmer if not sized first.
I converted my trimmer a couple of times, from .223 to 6.5 Grendel; it's an easy process. My only issue has been re-adjusting the case adjustment nut back to my original setting for .223 cases.

What is the difficulty re-adjusting it? I'm getting one with both the .223 and .30-06
conversions and will be using both frequently.

What is the difficulty re-adjusting it? I'm getting one with both the .223 and .30-06
conversions and will be using both frequently.

It's more of the "I'm very satisfied with my cases being a certain length" and don't like having to re-adjust to get them back to my original setting. The adjustment nut is trial and error. You have to take the case, insert it, trim it, measure it, and repeat as needed to get your case back to it's original setting.

It's more of the "I'm very satisfied with my cases being a certain length" and don't like having to re-adjust to get them back to my original setting. The adjustment nut is trial and error. You have to take the case, insert it, trim it, measure it, and repeat as needed to get your case back to it's original setting.

Can't you set it up with a sized case and adjust to that each time? I have to do that
with my current setup (Lyman) and it works fairly good.

Also, What about a reference mark scribed into the nut and case of the trimmer and just tighten back to the mark? Have not tried yet because I haven't needed to change...just wondering if you tried that and if so does it work?

I just ordered one for .223, they estimate about 6 weeks before shipping. I guess I'll use the time until then to try and find some primers...

Can't you set it up with a sized case and adjust to that each time? I have to do that
with my current setup (Lyman) and it works fairly good.

That gets me close but for some reason, it's never close enough.

Also, What about a reference mark scribed into the nut and case of the trimmer and just tighten back to the mark? Have not tried yet because I haven't needed to change...just wondering if you tried that and if so does it work?

I haven't tried it but if it works please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom