• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Giffords 2019 50-State Gun Law Ratings

MaverickNH

NES Member
GRADES BY POPULATION - For the first time ever, more Americans live in A states than F states—but gun safety nationwide is undermined by the weak laws of failing states.

To get 30% in A-rated states and 29% in F-rated states, they had to uprate IL to an A-, with a Gun Death Rate of 10.78 (per 100k) and downrate RI, with a Gun Death Rate of 3.28, and further downrate MN (C+/7.79), IA (C/8.62), NE (C/9.05), WI (C/10.13), ME (F/10.32), WA (B+/10.32) and NH (F/10.66).

Wouldn't you rather live in IL, which is A- rated for stringency of gun laws than B+ rated RI, with only a 10.66/3.28= 3.25-fold higher Gun Death Rate? Or (gasp) in F rated NH with the same Gun Death Rate, even if consistently one of the top 3 rated states for safety?

Giffords 50 States.png Giffords 50 States2.png

Very deceptive. A better approach would have been to use homicide rates instead of total deaths. Northern New England is the lowest gun-related homicide region in the country. Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire (all Constitutional Carry States!) are ranked are 47th, 48th and 49th from the top (worst) , respectively. Only Hawaii (which has extremely restrictive laws) is better at 50. Massachusetts with its very strict gun laws is much more dangerous than its three neighboring states that have "lax" gun laws, ranking at number 39. So much for over reaching regulations and draconian punishments! When it comes to gun safety, it's the character and moral values of the person holding the gun and no laws can make up for that.

Last edited:
No matter what the chart says, or how they came to the numbers. They are manipulated.
What's with the A-F score too?
What is the underlying data that goes into it?
What laws go into making the A-F score? Are they weighted, and how?
Notice how it's only DEATH rates. How may shootings are the result of gang violence but don't end in death.
This chart was created only to push their BS.
I'll come up with a pro gun chart that looks even better. Better yet I'll call it a freedom chart.

Good, real life example...
I lived in CA (#1). I've owned a rental property in Manchchester, NH (30), in a ghetto section.
I've walked thru parts South Central and Inglewood, not intentially.... The old Forum and the Coliseum were close by, and I parked in the area and got lost finding my car....
Anyway, I've crapped my pants walking through the gang neighborhoods of LA, and I've walked thru the crappy parts of Manchester many times without having to change my shorts when I got home.
I carried once in Manchester because I went in and collected a ton of rent in cash from people the same day (first time that ever happened).
Also... I don't remember any neighboorhoods I've been to in Manchester that had bars on the doors.
In every Lowe's and HD in SoCal that I went to when I was there, they sold these:

.... and everybody had them, even in the good neighborhoods. That should tell you something about what kind of deterrent gun laws are to criminals.

Last edited:
I can't stop laughing!! According to these morons Illinois, thats right home to Chiraq, is "safer" than probably more than half the states. Wow, thats rich!

Pretty info-graphics with zero citations or clarifications. That's not to say they made it up, but statistics can be manipulated to show anything if there's zero context. For example, are guns deaths including suicides, as Admin mentioned? Do they include justified police shootings? Do they include justified civilian shootings? What is the crime rate in the states that do have higher gun deaths per 100k? It's also interesting that there are four F's and a D in the top half of the list when sorted for gun deaths per 100k. That would imply that the level of law has no impact on the death rate. But that's crazy talk.

Awwwww...we got an F. They are just jealous that NH, ME and VT can carry without the need for a permit.

Back
Top Bottom