GHB - Get Home Bag first aid content and other thoughts.

With the winter coming, I am repacking my GHB.

I am curious as to how much first aid gear you carry in your GHB? I have a pretty good first aid kit in my GHB. But I am trying to cut down on the weight and thinking of things I could remove. I am thinking things that I would use on another person (CPR Mask) would be the first to go as I would be travelling alone. What do you carry for first aid?

I have been looking online at other peoples GHB content and people are carrying fishing line and fishing stuff. I have a hard enough time catching anything in ideal situations. Does anyone carry a small fishing kit?

My travel from work to home would be about 25 miles. I recently found I have to cross 2 rivers (thought it was one). So depending on how bad the weather is or road closures are, It could be a few hard days of hiking.

Any thoughts?

Subscribed.

I think the idea of a GHB is far more useful and realistic then some of the BOB bags I have seen people posting, specifically in SE MA where I think "bugging in" is a more viable option.

I too am interested in what people are putting together.

Ed

Mine is a Backpack with a good pair of boots inside. Some of my items are in the backpack and smaller items are inside the boots in the backpack.
2pair socks
sweatshirt
winter _Ski Mask style Hat
several MRE's
Power Bars
Swiss army knife
survival knife 9 inch w/ compas
small 1st aid kit with bandages, anticeptics, epi-pen (bee sting allergy)
signal mirror
mylar blanket

handgun and ammo is always with me so no need for any in the bag.

My thoughts:

First, decided on the exact nature of your Get Home Bag. For me, I have 2 wonderful people at home who need me (Fiancee and son) so for me, it's a "Get Home NOW Bag" I need to focus on moving quickly with supplies to keep moving.

Spare pair of hiking boots, 2 pairs of wool/synthetic socks
Heavy Sweater, Windbreaker, thermal pants (long-johns) and water/wind proof over-pants
neoprene face mask, hat and gloves
Leatherman multi-tool
Lighter, Fire Sticks, Matches, 2pk of chemical hand-warmers
I have a normal (store bought) auto first-aid kit
Emergency Blanket, Fleece Blanket, 50' coil of 1/8" cord
Compass and paper map
Several Nature Valley Granola Bars

I need to work on a secondary food source, but the focus for me is food, warmth and shelter. I should be able to get home in 2 days from almost anywhere I normally travel on food. this is generally for a senerior where the car has become disabled and weather conditions prohibit waiting for help to arrive. If it happens early in a day, pack-up and head out that day. If it happens at night, spend the night in the car and hump out in the morning. The car's sunroof can be opened manually with an allen wrench that is kept in the glove compartment in case the car gets so snowed in that the side doors can not be opened.

Once on foot, the goals are: Keep Energy levels up to maintain a good pace, stay dry to maintain body temperature and keep moving towards home. Crossing water poses a huge problem in the New England winter, so it should be avoided if possible. 2 pairs of socks plus 1 worn helps provide time for socks to dry and they should be rotated frequently.
Don't keep water in your car in the New England winter, a solid bottle of ice is nearly worthless without a significant heat-source and it will take time to melt, which will slow you down. Instead, keep a couple of small water-tight containers that you can fill with snow and place under a jacket (keep spaced away from your body) Your body heat will melt the snow and provide drinking water.

If you don't have anyone at home counting on you and can plan to take a little more time, you don't have to focus as much on spare clothes or the added blanket. If you're trying to make fast time, building a full shelter hampers your movement, so you want to keep supplies that will let you make a functional shelter much quicker.

As you can see, I don't carry materials to catch food. Figuring 2 days of hard hiking, I can hump the food I need to make it. Catching food is for when you can't carry or don't have the food you need and have the time to spend trying to catch it. Again, it's Get Home NOW.

As for First Aid equipment for helping/saving someone else. I definately keep these on-hand, but that's personal preference. My moral compass wouldn't allow me to leave someone who needed medical attention that I could give. I'd rather get home a day later having saved a life than wondering if I'd left someone to die.

Last edited:
My thoughts:

First, decided on the exact nature of your Get Home Bag. For me, I have 2 wonderful people at home who need me (Fiancee and son) so for me, it's a "Get Home NOW Bag" I need to focus on moving quickly with supplies to keep moving.

Spare pair of hiking boots, 2 pairs of wool/synthetic socks
Heavy Sweater, Windbreaker, thermal pants (long-johns) and water/wind proof over-pants
neoprene face mask, hat and gloves
Leatherman multi-tool
Lighter, Fire Sticks, Matches, 2pk of chemical hand-warmers
I have a normal (store bought) auto first-aid kit
Emergency Blanket, Fleece Blanket, 50' coil of 1/8" cord
Compass and paper map
Several Nature Valley Granola Bars

I need to work on a secondary food source, but the focus for me is food, warmth and shelter. I should be able to get home in 2 days from almost anywhere I normally travel on food. this is generally for a senerior where the car has become disabled and weather conditions prohibit waiting for help to arrive. If it happens early in a day, pack-up and head out that day. If it happens at night, spend the night in the car and hump out in the morning. The car's sunroof can be opened manually with an allen wrench that is kept in the glove compartment in case the car gets so snowed in that the side doors can not be opened.

Once on foot, the goals are: Keep Energy levels up to maintain a good pace, stay dry to maintain body temperature and keep moving towards home. Crossing water poses a huge problem in the New England winter, so it should be avoided if possible. 2 pairs of socks plus 1 worn helps provide time for socks to dry and they should be rotated frequently.
Don't keep water in your car in the New England winter, a solid bottle of ice is nearly worthless without a significant heat-source and it will take time to melt, which will slow you down. Instead, keep a couple of small water-tight containers that you can fill with snow and place under a jacket (keep spaced away from your body) Your body heat will melt the snow and provide drinking water.

If you don't have anyone at home counting on you and can plan to take a little more time, you don't have to focus as much on spare clothes or the added blanket. If you're trying to make fast time, building a full shelter hampers your movement, so you want to keep supplies that will let you make a functional shelter much quicker.

As you can see, I don't carry materials to catch food. Figuring 2 days of hard hiking, I can hump the food I need to make it. Catching food is for when you can't carry or don't have the food you need and have the time to spend trying to catch it. Again, it's Get Home NOW.

As for First Aid equipment for helping/saving someone else. I definately keep these on-hand, but that's personal preference. My moral compass wouldn't allow me to leave someone who needed medical attention that I could give. I'd rather get home a day later having saved a life than wondering if I'd left someone to die.

Just a question re sheltering in place in a car: I was under the impression that sheltering in a car in winter was dangerous due to it cold-sinking? Yes/no?

Consider some QuickClot, either the smaller 1st responder ones or a big ACS one. They can be expensive. The smaller ones are about $10 each and a big ACS is about $30-$40.
Accidents happen, especially when you are fatigued. A serious cut can be an endgame and these can give you a chance.

Just a question re sheltering in place in a car: I was under the impression that sheltering in a car in winter was dangerous due to it cold-sinking? Yes/no?

Yep. But if the choice is that or something out in severely blowing ice/rain/snow, it might be a better choice. All a matter of conditions. But generally the interior of a vehicle is not recommended.

Bob P,

I have spent several an over-night in my car, even in the dead-of winter. I haven't had any specific problems. Warm air rises, so an ideal shelter would be smaller than a car (hense the extra clothes and blankets) but it's a better wind-block / water block than any make-shift shelter I can put together in the middle of the night. Drop the driver's seat back, grab the fleece and mylar blanket and wrap up (fleece under mylar) and eat a granola bar to keep the energy levels up so the body doesn't cool down as much. that is also a good time to fill a small container with snow and pull it into the blankets with you.

The air is going to be cold (but still) in the morning, so stretch a little slowing come AM. Eat another granola bar (get the energy level back up) and pack-up to head out.

DO NOT LEAVE THE CAR RUNNING! - If the hood and front grill get covered with snow, a running engin may begin venting CO (Carbon Monoxide) into the passenger compartment and you might not wake-up.

The car might not be an ideal shelter, but it's better than trying to build one at 2am during a snow storm.

Consider some QuickClot, either the smaller 1st responder ones or a big ACS one. They can be expensive. The smaller ones are about $10 each and a big ACS is about $30-$40.
Accidents happen, especially when you are fatigued. A serious cut can be an endgame and these can give you a chance.

Unless your trained in its use you shouldnt use it. Quickclot isnt a one stop shop, its to augment tradition means to control bleedeing: bandages, tourniquets and pressure etc it doesn't replace any of them. There is also legal liability in using it in a civilian situation it is technically Rx only.

Think heat sink. But cold.

If you're an engineer, you'll have a fit.

That's because we call them heat-sinks. A metal frame/body conducts heat from the inside to the outside because most cars are not built to efficiently contain heat.

This will likely be improving in the future as cars rely less and less on IC engines since heating and cooling will become a huge waste of power for a stopped hybrid car.

Still, a car is a better location to hunker down for the night than anything you're going to build if it's already dark and snowing.

I have been looking online at other peoples GHB content and people are carrying fishing line and fishing stuff. I have a hard enough time catching anything in ideal situations. Does anyone carry a small fishing kit?

my question on this, is since this is a winter GHB....do you have something to break thick ice to even fish? or are you thinking streams only?

With the winter coming, I am repacking my GHB.

Any thoughts?

I'd skip the winter fishing gear.
Unless your a skilled angler with live bait.You'll probally freeze to death,before you hand-line dinner ice fishin'.
Falling through thin ice could become a personal SHTF situation aswell.
I'd bring "GoldFish" crackers,a can of Sardines( in oil),Swedish fish(gummie candies) if your craving fish in a winter emergency.

... it's a "Get Home NOW Bag" I need to focus on moving quickly with supplies to keep moving...

I agree on this. This is why I am trying to lighten the load.

... As for First Aid equipment for helping/saving someone else. I definately keep these on-hand, but that's personal preference. My moral compass wouldn't allow me to leave someone who needed medical attention that I could give. I'd rather get home a day later having saved a life than wondering if I'd left someone to die.

I agree on this point too. I'm not saying I wouldn't stop to help, But the chances of needing certain items on the trek home I think are very small. There would still be a full first aid kit in the car. It's only on foot would the kit be down sized. And then for those couple days, i'd take my chances on CPR without a mask.

About spending the night in the car. In one of our winter safety courses we had at work, we had been told that a single candle would keep the interior of the car above freezing. I think I am going to test it this winter, with a CO2 detector included. Maybe even try one of the 3 wick survival candles. Of course from the safety and warmth of the house.[wink]

I also didn't see the need for a fishing kit. I was curious on NES'rs thoughts. Seems alot of people are including them in GHBs. I can see a need in a BOB for aquiring food. But in a GHB I am not stopping for a fishing trip.

Kaos,

I would avoid burning a candle in a closed car if you're sleeping in the car, the reason is limited oxygen.

A typical person at rest breaths abotu 18 cubic feet of air per hour, consuming approximately 1/2 of the useful oxygen in that air. A toyota camery (typical sadan) has an interior volume of 101 cubic feet, or about 5 hours worth of single-breath air and 10 hours worth of total oxygen.

Burning a candle is going to reduce that quickly and as the O2 level drops, the candle will begin producing carbon monoxide. While the car is likely not air-tight, burning up O2 isn't a good idea.

Cars are a lot tighter than you think. reducing noise in many luxury cars have little seals all over the place. The ventilation systems work on a positive pressure system where the fan moves air in and small vents (usually at the bottom of a door or in some rear panel) let air out to get the proper flow. Well, the vents in the body usually have a flap or other anti-draft feature and the filters on the blowers don't pass much without the fans.

Chris,

Hense my point, with roughly 10 hours of O2 for you in your car, lighting a candle is not a good idea. Even if there is a small exchange of air, it might only push that to 12 hours of useful air. You, plus any cargo in the car is taking up space, displacing air.

Repeat the advice:

If you become stranded and know that you will have to leave the car and it's already past dark: Stay in the car over-night. Try to limit yourself to 6-8 hours maximum and wrap yourself up. The car will block the wind and keep you dry, but it's not going to do much for the temperature. - Most of the heat loss is through the Windows, so if you have the ability to block them easily, that will help keep the car warmer.

If the engine and exaust are not blocked, you can run the engine for a little bit and blast the heat to get it warm inside the car, but don't run the engine if the front grill or the exaust pipe are blocked by snow, you'll vent engine exaust into the passenger compartment.

In the morning, open the car door and exchange the air and assess the situation. Gather your emergency pack and hump out if that's your decision. Unless you consider the location hostile, leave a note indicated time of departure and direction of travel (route if known) so rescuers who find the car know where to look for you.

If you're in a Serious Life Threatening Situation, and not worrying about the condition of your car because you may never see it again, the foam in the seats will be infinitely useful to you. Cut it out and use it to block the windows the first night, then take it along; it's light enough to drag behind you while tied off on a belt loop, and it will make an AMAZINGLY comfortable bed to lay on if you should need to stop for sleep on the way home. It can also be stuffed into clothing and boots for extra warmth in Really Severe Weather.

If you're in a Serious Life Threatening Situation, and not worrying about the condition of your car because you may never see it again, the foam in the seats will be infinitely useful to you. Cut it out and use it to block the windows the first night, then take it along; it's light enough to drag behind you while tied off on a belt loop, and it will make an AMAZINGLY comfortable bed to lay on if you should need to stop for sleep on the way home. It can also be stuffed into clothing and boots for extra warmth in Really Severe Weather.

unless the world was coming to an end....im too optimistic about being ok enough NOT to cut a giant hole in my leather seats to get padding to insulate the windows [laugh]

quick GHB question....

since there will be hiking/walking if said bag is needed...what to do about storing water in winter in the car?

There was a pretty good idea brought up earlier in the thread about keeping empty bottles to put snow and let melt for water, but on the day its just bone chillingly cold and not snowing, idk.

This is getting borderline comical. Have you guys ever read "The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz? The guy walks from a Siberian prison camp, through the Gobi desert, over the Himalayas to India, with just the clothes on his back.

I think you all will be okay getting home from work.

This is getting borderline comical. Have you guys ever read "The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz? The guy walks from a Siberian prison camp, through the Gobi desert, over the Himalayas to India, with just the clothes on his back.

Is that the same story as "As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me" (the Clemens Forell story){2001}?

This is an EXCELLENT film(alot of awards) probally the "Best Survival movie" I've ever seen

http://www.amazon.com/As-Far-Feet-Will-Carry/dp/B000NA6CQ8

Is that the same story as "As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me" (the Clemens Forell story){2001}?

This is an EXCELLENT film(alot of awards) probally the "Best Survival movie" I've ever seen

http://www.amazon.com/As-Far-Feet-Will-Carry/dp/B000NA6CQ8

Sounds similar, but Rawicz was a Polish cavalry officer, captured by the Russians in the beginning of the war. His story went unkown for many years and only became known because a guy was researching a story on yeti sightings, and was referred to Rawicz, at the time an old man living in the States. By the time the journalist got the story out of Rawicz, he basically forgot about the yeti sighting and convinced Rawicz to write his story down. I don't think they've made a movie of it (yet).

Was he lucky, prepared or knowledgable about his surroundings?

Preparing to hike 25+ miles home, in western MA, in unknown conditions for an aircraft technician (my job) is something I should be thinking about and preparing. I don't think my Boy Scout training or military self aid and buddy care training is enough to just wing the walk home. Having to evade checkpoints or road blocks might be a possibility (think martial law or quaratine areas). I have never had an E&E class.

There was some thread drift from my OP. But it was good information. The GHB is much different than a BOB which is why I didn't pose the question in the BOB thread.

Ultimately getting home quickly is the goal. There are 3 people counting on me getting home.

Was he lucky, prepared or knowledgable about his surroundings?

Preparing to hike 25+ miles home, in western MA, in unknown conditions for an aircraft technician (my job) is something I should be thinking about and preparing. I don't think my Boy Scout training or military self aid and buddy care training is enough to just wing the walk home. Having to evade checkpoints or road blocks might be a possibility (think martial law or quaratine areas). I have never had an E&E class.

There was some thread drift from my OP. But it was good information. The GHB is much different than a BOB which is why I didn't pose the question in the BOB thread.

Ultimately getting home quickly is the goal. There are 3 people counting on me getting home.

Barring a sudden zombie infestation, what would possibly happen from the time you went to work in the morning till the afternoon that would would allow for a full-on mobilization of the military/martial law/etc.? If that was stuff was threatening to happen, why would you be leaving the house anyway?

Keep a sidearm on you, a firestarter, and a spaceblanket. 25 miles can be covered on foot pretty quickly, even if ALL the roads are disabled by aliens and vehicle travel is impossible.

If you commute from Boston to Fairbanks everyday, I could understand some of these loadouts.

Barring a sudden zombie infestation, what would possibly happen from the time you went to work in the morning till the afternoon that would would allow for a full-on mobilization of the military/martial law/etc.?
9/11 Part II?

Remember how that day played out? F-15s flying cover over MIT (and Draper Labs)? I remember a friend of mine who WALKED from 7 World Trade to his uncle's house up above 200th St - that's effectively the FULL LENGTH of Manhattan - that day. Got out just in time when the building was evacuated, too... and still has respiratory problems from all the gypsum, etc, he inhaled.

Last edited:
Barring a sudden zombie infestation, what would possibly happen from the time you went to work in the morning till the afternoon that would would allow for a full-on mobilization of the military/martial law/etc.? If that was stuff was threatening to happen, why would you be leaving the house anyway?

Valid point. This will be some major thread drift here.... What do you think would happen if multiple terrorist attacks happened on U.S. soil? How quickly would those in charge react? How quickly would they stop any movement by anyone anywhere to control/assess the situation?

There are many disasters that have warning signs (pandemics, riots, financial collapse and natural), but there are some with no warning. With some warning signs, staying home to avoid likely events is a smart thing. But trying to be prepared for the most unlikely event is what I think I am doing. When and if it happens, I'll get no 'do overs'. If and when it happens and I get home with bag full of stuff I never touched, except for a space blanket and fire starter, I will say 'Gonzo was right.' [wink]

But I am in the mind set of 'Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.' obviously with in limits. No 3 room tent with a cot, but maybe a splint for an ankle that gets twisted on an icy rock. An extra pair of socks, a rain coat, a flash light....etc.

Can you ever be over prepared? Mentally? no. Physically? no. Gear wise? yes, but why chance it.

9/11 Part II?

Remember how that day played out? F-15s flying cover over MIT (and Draper Labs)? I remember a friend of mine who WALKED from 7 World Trade to his uncle's house up above 200th St - that's effectively the FULL LENGTH of Manhattan - that day. Got out just in time when the building was evacuated, too... and still has respiratory problems from all the gypsum, etc, he inhaled.

And would any of these Get Home Bags have helped out?

Back
Top Bottom