Georgia girl, 6, dies after brother accidentally shoots her in head

No punishment will matter. It will pale in comparison to how they will punish themselves, and more importantly, it will play no role whatsoever in deterring others from making similar mistakes. The event itself might have that effect, but legal repercussions would not. Having said that, under Georgia law, the statute against Reckless Conduct, a misdemeanor, might technically apply.

Dude.....if the kid got a knife out of a drawer and fell on it and died should there be "consequences"?
Dude, what if the kid that got killed was a neighbor's playing on the lawn next door? Would you just chalk it up to an accident? Dumb ass mother leaves a loaded gun in a place where a baby can get it and a child dies.

Not " cuz gunz" cuz stupid.

This is a horrific tragedy for sure. I don't know how that family will survive. Something doesn't quite fit though, why wasn't the 4 year old restrained in a car seat?

Yes. It absolutely is 'BECUZ GUNZ' when you make a stupid ass argument like there should be more laws to punish someone post tragedy like that. I'm too tired and burnt out to deal with people like you who think the answer is something like that. Let the parents grieve. It accomplishes NOTHING.

Yes. It absolutely is 'BECUZ GUNZ' when you make a stupid ass argument like there should be more laws to punish someone post tragedy like that. I'm too tired and burnt out to deal with people like you who think the answer is something like that. Let the parents grieve. It accomplishes NOTHING.
Well, thank you for explaining how I think. Let's just hope it isn't your kid when some dumb ass let's lead fly.

Well, thank you for explaining how I think. Let's just hope it isn't your kid when some dumb ass let's lead fly.

Let's hope I don't have shitty fellow citizens like you that want to pour salt in the wound if theres a tragic accident in my family.

Eta: My stock answer to people like you that run to the gov. to solve problems is f*** Off. Seriously... There isn't enough off on the planet for you to f***.

Let's hope I don't have shitty fellow citizens like you that want to pour salt in the wound if theres a tragic accident in my family.

Eta: My stock answer to people like you that run to the gov. to solve problems is f*** Off. Seriously... There isn't enough off on the planet for you to f***.
Well, that's good, disagree with my position and call me names. Sounds like some of that left wing tolerance I have heard so much about.

Well, that's good, disagree with my position and call me names. Sounds like some of that left wing tolerance I have heard so much about.

Ok cool. I will. I'm not the one that wants to use the government as a weapon to crush a family. That should work out really well for them. Charge them with a crime, drag them through the mud financially and emotionally, while they still have another child to take care of. Great plan. I'm way past the point of being civil with people that want to use the government as a weapon... So yeah. I'll call you what you are.

Ok cool. I will. I'm not the one that wants to use the government as a weapon to crush a family. That should work out really well for them. Charge them with a crime, drag them through the mud financially and emotionally, while they still have another child to take care of. Great plan. I'm way past the point of being civil with people that want to use the government as a weapon... So yeah. I'll call you what you are.
This is dead on. Putting the woman in jail accomplishes nothing positive. She lost one child.....yes....out of stupidity. The only thing that's going to happen is negative by charging her and putting her in jail. Probably end up with the 4 year old being taken care of by the government. But like you said already..m. looks like some folks here are ok with the government being the solution.

Responsible parents

I'm going to take a leap here and assume you haven't raised children. Because I've raised three and all of them could get in and out of a carseat with a 5 point harness by themselves at 2.

So unless you're some psycho who padlocks their kids into a carseat, you're delusional about them not being able to free themselves at 4.

Responsible parents
And the law. If you get stopped at a red light or a routine traffic stop, seat belt checkpoint, etc and a cop notices your toddlers not buckled in an appropriate carseat, expect a costly citation and a personal audience with a district or municipal court judge and prosecutor. BTW, this isn't just a liberal Massachusetts thing. It is the rule of law in the deep South as well.

Dude, what if the kid that got killed was a neighbor's playing on the lawn next door? Would you just chalk it up to an accident? Dumb ass mother leaves a loaded gun in a place where a baby can get it and a child dies.

Again though, in this particular case (not some strawman involving another family!) what goal is really met here by incarcerating the parent? Yeah, society would be so much safer by locking this broad up, while we pay for it all, and then on top of it pay to have the remaining kids life totally f***ed up, too. (let's face facts, foster and adopted kids often have a much rougher go of things... ) If you're going to argue deterrent factor, that's laughable too, because this is rare enough that most parents aren't going to have it in their mind....

-Mike

Not " cuz gunz" cuz stupid.
Let me ask you something Lucas, do you have kids? If you do and you know how busy every day life is (work, picking them up, dropping them off) and you or your wife made a very catastrophic mistake by leaving your piece around and this happened to you, would you want to go to jail? Or would you want your wife to go to jail if it was her who left the gun out? It’s not about left wing lunacy or bad parenting or gun laws. These peoples lives are destroyed over a grave mistake that could happen to any one of us. I’m not trying to pick on you. God bless.

Jeeze, we eat our own around here..
No jail, the woman and family have enough pain and suffering.

Now if she left the girl in a hot car in the summer with the windows closed!:mad:
Throw everything at them![angry2]

So let's say for the sake of arguement that the kid who got shot was the next door neighbors who was playing nearby when the stray bullet was fired. Would you then say "oh well, tragic accident, act of god" or deem it negligence on the part of the mother? Does it only matter if someone else's kid gets killed? I doubt the neighbors would just right it off as an accident.

We have great freedoms in this country, we can have guns. But with that freedom comes responsibilities. Yes, the family suffered a grave tragedy, yes the mother was negligent, but to just forget about it without any sort of action is wrong. I am not saying lock her up, but some sort of action has to be taken. That is the basis for my position.

I respect your opinion but a child is dead. Negligence resulting in death has consequences.
Lucas McCain always left his rifle loaded right next to the front door, easily accessible to his son Mark. God bless that little girl!! God bless the little boy who will never live a full life. The loss of that Mom's baby is the greatest consequence there is in life. I have 3 little ones. I can't image.... That said, I had my oldest (little girl) at the range yesterday for both .22lr plinking and some fun with her new bow/arrow set. The entire time we were there, it was about safety, safety, safety.

So let's say for the sake of arguement that the kid who got shot was the next door neighbors who was playing nearby when the stray bullet was fired. Would you then say "oh well, tragic accident, act of god" or deem it negligence on the part of the mother? Does it only matter if someone else's kid gets killed? I doubt the neighbors would just right it off as an accident.

We have great freedoms in this country, we can have guns. But with that freedom comes responsibilities. Yes, the family suffered a grave tragedy, yes the mother was negligent, but to just forget about it without any sort of action is wrong. I am not saying lock her up, but some sort of action has to be taken. That is the basis for my position.

Thats a mental jungle gym eh? Change the circumstance and of course a appropriate punishment would change. What should happen in this case? It's a totally different set of circumstances and there is a debt to be paid or rehabilitated; maybe the answer there *is* jail time because you're right, there should be consequences and the consequence of waking up every day and being reminded that you killed your 2 year old no longer is a reality.

The point of incarceration isn't directly punishment, this isn't some hardened career criminal, this is a case of consequences and reform both of which can be achieved without tossing someone in a cell.

We can change the variables all day, it's a stupid mental exercise that serves no point but to stray from what really happened and the appropriateness of the punishment.

Charge the mother (or guns owner) for her gross negligence. Sentence her to whatever it takes to make her a prohibited person for life and then give her time served\ suspended sentence. She’s proven she clearly cannot be trusted with children and Firearms. But incarcerating her serves no purpose. It’s a tragedy but it was a preventable one.

Last edited:
We don't know who's firearm it was and who had left it in the car.
I could have been the husband's and he left it unsecured in the vehicle.
Freedom is an awesome responsibility and with it some tragedies like this one!
[iwojima]

Back
Top Bottom