• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Georgia girl, 6, dies after brother accidentally shoots her in head

commodon

NES Member
It breaks my heart to read of an innocent child dying at the hands of a sibling.

paulding.JPG

A Georgia girl died this week after her younger brother accidentally shot her in the head, police say.

Investigators say the mother of a girl identified in media reports as Millie Drew Kelly loaded her and her 4-year-old brother into a car Monday at their Paulding County home, but couldn’t get it to start. When the mother left the vehicle to see what was wrong, she heard a shot fired from inside it, they added.

"Detectives determined that the 4-year-old male sibling retrieved a handgun from the console of the vehicle and accidentally discharged it, striking his 6-year-old sister in the head, fatally wounding her," the Paulding County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

The girl was rushed to a local Atlanta hospital but died of her injuries two days later. As of now, detectives don’t plan on filing any charges in the case.

Our hearts break for this family and we hope God puts his healing hands around them during this difficult time,” Sheriff Gary Gulledge said in a statement. “We want to remind everyone to keep their firearms unloaded and secured in an area away from children to ensure that this never happens again.

A GoFundMe page set up to offer financial support for the family has raised over $30,000 as of Friday morning.

From Georgia girl, 6, dies after brother accidentally shoots her in head, police say

This is really bad. The parents should take full responsibility. I've "heard" that southerners commonly leave their guns lying around but I didn't want to believe it. It's not hard to keep your firearms secure.

This is really bad. The parents should take full responsibility. I've "heard" that southerners commonly leave their guns lying around but I didn't want to believe it. It's not hard to keep your firearms secure.

There's nothing wrong with having guns around when you teach kids how to treat them. Do your kids run around the house trying to stab each other with the kitchen knives?

The gun was in the center console. That’s not just lying around....not that there’s anything wrong with that either.

We don't need any new laws to inform us that unsecured firearms are the cause of these incidences.
Teaching firearm safety to youths would help reduce some accidental deaths.
Ultimately it is the firearm owner's responsibility to keep untrained people for accessing their firearms.

So much hate in the media of the NRA.
But their courses teach many ways to prevent such accidents.

Teaching a four year old is pointless, but teaching youngsters and adults that leaving firearms loaded around is dangerous and how to respond when they are found.

A $30.00 investment in a lockable pistol safe would have prevented this..

RIP little one.[sad]
My heart goes out to your family.

Last edited:
The gun was in the center console. That’s not just lying around....not that there’s anything wrong with that either.
This is a terrible thing to happen.
I do agree leaving a loaded gun with in easy access of a 4 year old is not very good.
I sit her and wonder though , if the mother left the keys in the car and the kid decided he was going to try and start it. If that car started and the kid happen to get the car moving resulting in a death of another child would it get passed the local news.
i will say i grew up with easy access to guns. There was not much stopping me from crawling into the closet and playing with the guns. Other than im sure my dad made it very clear that the closet and guns where not toys or play things.
Still very sad. i never sheltered my kids from my guns or shooting. I do keep them locked up though.
RIP and i hope/pray they can get through this.

I don't know. Maybe because she left a loaded gun alone with two babies and now one is dead. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Your opinion is like....well you know. As a family they have enough already to deal with and you want to create more stress etc..for them to deal with.
Was she wrong for leaving it unlocked, yes. I am sure she/they will have enough to deal with going forward in life, for life. Punishment is already served. Enough

I have an almost 4 year old at home. He is pure defiant mischief, and fully capable of getting into anything around the house that isn’t locked. He couldn’t rack a slide but he could sure as shit flip a safety and pull a trigger. He also seems to exist in some parallel universe that is half reality, half wild imagination. I could spend a solid week trying to drill gun safety into his head and I still wouldn’t trust him with any sort of access to a loaded pistol.

A 4 year old isn’t to be trusted.

My thoughts as well. And despite what some say otherwise, you can teach four year old children basic tasks and what to do and not do, but the reality is a child at four years of age will still do unexpected things.

For all we know this child may have been taught guns can be dangerous and that he should never touch them, etc. So what does he do? He sees the gun and despite knowing it can be dangerous and that he shouldn't touch it, he struggles to pick it up with the best intentions of giving it to his mother because he knows mommy will know what to do with it. What happens next? BOOM! We have a tragic, what should have been preventable accident...

IMHO most children under the age of four years can be expected to do things outside expectation. No matter what you teach them...

Ugh. And this is why my kids learn gun safety from the time they can walk. Terrible. I can't imagine being that boy growing up.
Same here. The only gun that we keep loaded is a pistol-gripped, top-folding stock Remington 870 in a quick access safe for home defense. The rest are locked up and unloaded. Our 4 year old daughter has her first BB gun. Her 6 year old sister has her first .22 rifle. They were taught that guns are deadly weapons and are to be handled safely. My wife and I do not want a similar tragedy to happen in our home.

I don't know. Maybe because she left a loaded gun alone with two babies and now one is dead. But hey, that's just my opinion.
If the older kid got ahold of matches and started a fire that killed his little sister would there be charges? Nope.....it would have been considered a household accident.

Dont look now.....but your falling into the "it's a crime Cuz gun" crowd.

It was an accident.......sucks......and the parents are dumb as f***... .but why do so many people feel there should be criminal charges for an accident with a gun but not an accident with any other tool left lying around?

Guns are tools....no different than any other tool. I prefer NOT to live in a society where accidents with tools come with criminal charges. Freedom? Ever heard of it?

Last edited:
My gun ownership started when my youngest kid was 3, and I started teaching him the day I brought home my 1st pistol. The second safest place for a loaded gun is inside a holster on your person, the third safest is in a gun safe, and THE safest is an educated kid. I believe a 3-yo can learn gun safety if you teach him.

I have a 4 year old and I can’t imagine this happening. Those of us who are parents here know how stressful it is dealing with kids and getting them places and going in and out all the time. This was a terrible terrible mistake most likely from rushing around. I feel so bad for this family. I’m sure it’s obvious that no charges are to be filed given everything that this family is going through. Believe me I am not touting Mass Law at all, but if it’s not on me it’s in my safe locked away from my kids. God bless and shine on this family.

I have a 4 year old and I can’t imagine this happening. Those of us who are parents here know how stressful it is dealing with kids and getting them places and going in and out all the time. This was a terrible terrible mistake most likely from rushing around. I feel so bad for this family. I’m sure it’s obvious that no charges are to be filed given everything that this family is going through. Believe me I am not touting Mass Law at all, but if it’s not on me it’s in my safe locked away from my kids. God bless and shine on this family.

Good advice that nobody should have to follow by threat of criminal charges.

Back
Top Bottom