1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

General Mini 14 Thread

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Squib308, May 28, 2014.

1. NickLeduc

NickLeduc NES Member

Definitely a sharp looking rifle. Do you know how much extra weight was added to it after the mods?

2. Squib308

Squib308 NES Member

haven't weighed it although the only heavier part is the barrel and stock. the aluminum gas block is actually lighter than OEM steel. for a lighter weight build he can do a barrel w 16" length and 0.750" profile. that will still add some weight compared to OEM but not too much.

he wanted to do something like a 1" bull profile and 20 or 22" length which would have been crazy heavy. i get the feeling the builder is an accuracy nut.

kerryman71 likes this.
  3. whalerman69

whalerman69 NES Member

4. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

Damn that looks nice! Accuracy Systems has had a good reputation of getting the most out of a Mini for awhile now. I've got some of their parts in mine.

That really makes me want to send mine in!

Squib308 likes this.
  5. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

DUDE, no muzzle brake, how to you get your shots back on target.
    Looks good, thats some coin into a rifle for sure but no worse than the folks that dump $1000 into thier 10/22s.
    I like the looks of it. i hope it pays off on the accuracy end.

side note, im not a fan of brakes especially on small cal rifles that really dont need them. i also think a brake on this will ruin its good looks

Squib308 likes this.
  6. Squib308

Squib308 NES Member

you should see me shoot a 223 without a brake. muzzle is all over the place. nonstop flinching. painful to watch. /sarcasm

the primary reason for no muzzle brake was aesthetics and cost. i wanted to keep my build from getting retarded expensive so i went with barrel fluting instead of muzzle threading (IIRC it was around the same in cost). the fluting looks incredible and maybe adds a wee bit to the function. the total cost of work done by accuracy systems was around $1400. not cheap. however it's a custom rifle, built to my specifications, top notch parts including barrel, and cannot be purchased in any shops. in terms of function it is still out-done by any AR build with a high quality barrel. but something about the mini 14...even though it's sort of a POS the thing tickles my feather.

the biggest "danger" to these custom builds is how much they lose in potential resale value. so for this reason I am cautious to avoid these types of projects unless i'm dang sure to be keeping the thing.

7. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

I've been giving this rifle a lot of shit, but honestly, it's a pretty good rifle. The trigger is probably the best Ruger has ever made. I just realized I have the Tactical version: 16" barrel with a birdcage flash suppressor and polymer stock.

8. mrmike7189

mrmike7189

Now that you mention it.... the trigger is pretty damn nice on mine as well. Mine is stock wood/blued 18" barrell

9. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

You made the best point one can make.
    "I , Me, Mine, wanted, like ..... Thats all that matters.
    As far as "yours" its darn good looking and will agree a brake would ruin it....

Squib308 likes this.