General mace and pepper spray questions

I was wondering what is available for sprays and if anybody has opinions on them? I have LTCA with target hunting restriction so i can't CC. I wasn't able to find anything on the forum directly related to this.

I've seen a couple types for sale at NE traders and ZHA. One is %10 pepper and another from the same manufacturer is pepper, tear gas and UV dye all in one. I haven't really seen much myself other than those two.

I would much rather carry my glock 26, but for the moment i dont really have that option. It would be nice to have something to at least cause a distraction to give me the upper hand if a situation arises. Any suggestions?

Yes, Carry pepper spray (OC). I do. There are several types. I recommend the MACE company or the ASP company. If it has UV dye think of it as spray paint as well so you could use it to mark a person or vehicle to later prove they where there. Stay away from the ones that contain just teargas (CS) it doesn't work on drunks and dogs. The Pepper doesn't work on everyone equally people can build up a tolerance to it.

It really does suck to be sprayed. I know I got it directly twice and a few times just got a bit and it sucks.

Good luck
--Mike

A funny story on O.C.

I carried Sabre Red, a 10% O.C. solution with 2,000,000 SHU's, 1.33% Major Capsaicinoids (nope, no idea what that means, except this crap HURTS!) when I was a police officer. I've used it on drunk folks and on a fellow officer in training. Everyone agrees, it HURTS! (Did I mention it really really HURTS?)

Anyway, after moving in to our new house and buying a brand new living room set from Jordans, our new puppy decided the overpriced coffee table looked like a delicious chew toy, and started gnawing on it the first day we had it. I, being the devlish genius that I am, thought of my trusty can of O.C.

Not wanting to hurt the pup but also wanting to avoid my fiance's wrath, I put just a touch of the O.C. on a cloth and rubbed it lightly on to the corners of the table, where the puppy had been chewing. Sure enough, she went for it, took one taste, and started licking the carpet. She has never chewed on it again. Victory is mine! Right?

Well, and here's the funny part. That same cute darling little australian shephard decided the guest room was her new potty. Nothing we tried could convince her not to go in there and use the bed as a cushy soft latrine.

Me, again being the devlish genius that I am, thought "Hey, if it worked on the table, it should work in the guest room, right?"

So I took my can of trusty O.C. and sprayed it all over the hard wood floor of the threshold. Two things happened here.

The first, I forgot it had a very vibrant red dye in it. Now there are still red stains on the floor, even after a few months. My fiance has made a habit of bringing it up every time I get the upper hand in any disagreement.

The second is that I forgot to open any windows in the house. Now, it's the stream version, mind you, so I thought it wouldn't be that bad. Well, I got a lungfull, my fiance got a lungfull, and we ended up having to spend the next six hours out side because we couldn't stop choking and feeling like we were going to combust from the inside out. My dog? Sniffed the threshold of the room, jumped across it, and pooped right on the bed.

The moral of this story is, carry O.C. It's wicked fun stuff.

Ok, looks like i need to find a store that carries the good stuff as i cant get it shipped to mass. Any reccomendations for south shore places that might carry somethign other than the pepperguard i've seen?

A funny story on O.C.

I carried Sabre Red, a 10% O.C. solution with 2,000,000 SHU's, 1.33% Major Capsaicinoids (nope, no idea what that means, except this crap HURTS!) when I was a police officer. I've used it on drunk folks and on a fellow officer in training. Everyone agrees, it HURTS! (Did I mention it really really HURTS?)

Anyway, after moving in to our new house and buying a brand new living room set from Jordans, our new puppy decided the overpriced coffee table looked like a delicious chew toy, and started gnawing on it the first day we had it. I, being the devlish genius that I am, thought of my trusty can of O.C.

Not wanting to hurt the pup but also wanting to avoid my fiance's wrath, I put just a touch of the O.C. on a cloth and rubbed it lightly on to the corners of the table, where the puppy had been chewing. Sure enough, she went for it, took one taste, and started licking the carpet. She has never chewed on it again. Victory is mine! Right?

Well, and here's the funny part. That same cute darling little australian shephard decided the guest room was her new potty. Nothing we tried could convince her not to go in there and use the bed as a cushy soft latrine.

Me, again being the devlish genius that I am, thought "Hey, if it worked on the table, it should work in the guest room, right?"

So I took my can of trusty O.C. and sprayed it all over the hard wood floor of the threshold. Two things happened here.

The first, I forgot it had a very vibrant red dye in it. Now there are still red stains on the floor, even after a few months. My fiance has made a habit of bringing it up every time I get the upper hand in any disagreement.

The second is that I forgot to open any windows in the house. Now, it's the stream version, mind you, so I thought it wouldn't be that bad. Well, I got a lungfull, my fiance got a lungfull, and we ended up having to spend the next six hours out side because we couldn't stop choking and feeling like we were going to combust from the inside out. My dog? Sniffed the threshold of the room, jumped across it, and pooped right on the bed.

The moral of this story is, carry O.C. It's wicked fun stuff.

Now THAT was funny [laugh2][rofl]

It really does suck to be sprayed. I know I got it directly twice and a few times just got a bit and it sucks.

Good luck
--Mike

I've never been exposed to it. The worst i've had was to rub my eyes after cutting up some habanero peppers and i thought that sucked. I'm sure not anywhere near what getting hit with OC feels like.

Yes, Carry pepper spray (OC). I do. There are several types. I recommend the MACE company or the ASP company. If it has UV dye think of it as spray paint as well so you could use it to mark a person or vehicle to later prove they where there. Stay away from the ones that contain just teargas (CS) it doesn't work on drunks and dogs. The Pepper doesn't work on everyone equally people can build up a tolerance to it.

Good luck
--Mike

Mike-Mike is right about the tear gas. I ran a lot of protective mask confidence exersizes in the army and after a while, it got to be just an anoyance for me. No big deal.

I was wondering what is available for sprays and if anybody has opinions on them? I have LTCA with target hunting restriction so i can't CC. I wasn't able to find anything on the forum directly related to this.

I've seen a couple types for sale at NE traders and ZHA. One is %10 pepper and another from the same manufacturer is pepper, tear gas and UV dye all in one. I haven't really seen much myself other than those two.

I would much rather carry my glock 26, but for the moment i dont really have that option. It would be nice to have something to at least cause a distraction to give me the upper hand if a situation arises. Any suggestions?

just plain old OC will do the job.

if you spray someone in the eyes with it, it will usualy make the person you sprayed want to go away as fast as humanly possible.

ive been sprayed before in training, worse pain ever. EVER.

I picked up Sabre from someone at the Holbrook Gun Show last Winter.

I've since seen it recently at a gun shop. Check with First Defense Firearms and America's Armed . . . I think one of them had it.

Hillman, great stories.

OC sucks to be sprayed with. I remember a super cop opening up the rear doors to the ambulance with a combative patient and just letting loose a whole can. The only problem was me, I was still in there. It sucked, a lot.

Good advice here.
Also, it won't work the same for everybody. And it may not "instantly"
incapacitate some one. Ask anyone who took my course.
Spray and screw is what I tell my students.
You don't have to stay around and control the goblin.
If you are concerned enough that OC is warranted, then by all means are you concerned enough not to be around if and when the polizei arrive.

I wish I could make my own! I have some hot sauce that makes me cry if I look at the bottle too close![laugh] Seriously, if you put some in a spoon and sniff, you choke and your eyes tear up big time.

I prefer pepper spray. Why would anyone want to carry around a chain with a spiked metal ball attached to it.[rofl]

Sorry I had to

Stong side or Weak Side?

Where is the right place to carry?

I would say weak side, left, because I'm right handed (mostly)

I wouldn't carry both spray and a firearm off duty. INAL but it seems if you had to use your firearm for self-defense you might be explaining, in an already complicated, stressful situation, why you went to your gun before using the spray. Something like; if you had other means why didn’t you use it before going to deadly force? Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't carry both spray and a firearm off duty. INAL but it seems if you had to use your firearm for self-defense you might be explaining, in an already complicated, stressful situation, why you went to your gun before using the spray. Something like; if you had other means why didn’t you use it before going to deadly force? Just my 2 cents.

joehaus, not to bust on you, but get some training!

In a nutshell, you can jump up a level or several on the Force Continuum if necessary.

IE: Thug verbally threatens, you feel threatened, you spray. End of Story.
Thug pulls knife, you shoot. End of Story.
Thug pulls gun, you pull OC. We read your Obituary.

If you don't understand the Force Continuum, I strongly suggest you get some real Self-Defense training.

Big Daddy I'm sure your right. In reality it probably all unfolds as ordered as you posted it, what was I thinking.[rolleyes]

Oh and Big thanks for the personal attack. By the way what do you instruct...how to be a dick to people?

Last edited:
Kiver "No means No!"

I warned him. [rofl][laugh2][laugh]

Was that before or after you sprayed him?

Seriously though, I never bothered to carry OC before I started carrying a firearm. I think about it like this: If someone attacks me when I am armed and it's not quite yet a deadly force situation, I'm in a really bad position because I cannot risk loosing control of my weapon. OC gives me another option rather than physically tussling with my opponent which, of course, could lead to just that situation.

Imagine some drunk who is clearly plastered and looking for a fight. Chances are you could take him with nothing but why even go there? Simply mace the F2cker when he get's within 5 feet of you and then be gone. Problem solved.

Options are always good.

I was on my way to ZHA not too long ago, when a guy tried to run my wife and I off the road. I guess we didn't go fast enough for his taste.

Anyway, I had three choices, fight him, shoot him or ignore him.

I chose ignore.

After he pushed us to the side of the road. I let him pass and watched him to make sure he didn't turn around to return.

That was when I knew I needed option 4. OC spray.

I don't want to shoot anybody. I'm getting a bit too old to be rolling in the streets with some bozo, and sometimes said Bozo won't let themselves be ignored. The OC spray is a nice choice to have.

Oh, and joehaus, you might want to listen rather than get all bent out of shape because someone who's knows more than you gave you some excellent advice.

You say you wouldn't carry "off duty". If that means you have a "duty" or are a LEO, you sound woefully unprepared to deal with a real life situation.

Opps, sorry, I must be picking on you too. It can't be that any of us want to help you.

BaldKat, check with Jon Green at GOAL. He has OC spray built into a Kuboton key ring that works great. The Kuboton is an extra measure of protection. It's good stuff. Last time I checked it was about $35.

Big Daddy I'm sure your right. In reality it probably all unfolds as ordered as you posted it, what was I thinking.[rolleyes]

Oh and Big thanks for the personal attack. By the way what do you instruct...how to be a dick to people?

No, I was going to offer you some free OC training.
You, seem to have the DICK part down pat!

Back
Top Bottom