• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Geissele Triggers - Did I Make A Good Choice? *Update*

A few months ago I asked for opinions on AR triggers. I got many replies for Geissele triggers of one type or another and many for other brands. I was so overwhelmed with choices, I couldn't make a decision, plus the prices for many of them seemed very high

Today, I thought I would check the web for sales on AR triggers since everyone has sales on every holiday. I found this: http://www.primaryarms.com/geissele-super-semi-automatic-trigger-small-pin-154-gat-ssa, and made a snap decision and ordered one. I hope I made a good choice, the price seemed really low (list was $240). Please comment if you think I made a good choice and if the price seems good.

It will be installed in a PSA Blem lower (cost about the same as the trigger!) I got last year mated to a DPMS Oracle upper I've had for many years, in other words, nothing fancy, just a cheap range plinker.

UPDATE!

I liked the SSA so much I just ordered a SSA-E from Primary for $178.88, a bit more than the SSA, but still within my "decent price range". I will have to do some more research to decide what trigger to go with for the Armalite AR-10T which is strictly a target (usually from the bench) gun. Maybe a super light single stage would be better in that application?

Last edited:
The SSA has more of a "carrot break" trigger where has the SSA-E has more of an "icicle break" trigger. The SSA-E would be for precision where as the SSA would be for your application.

I have one in my beater AR but I picked up mine used for less than you can get a RRA NM trigger.
I don't know if the cost is equal to what you get out of it but it's a very good trigger to put in a budget lower for sure.
I'm not sold the E is any better than just being 1lb pull less BUT I have not touched the E trigger.

Last edited:
I have the SSF geissele, i can tell you on semi i think it was worth every penny, i was a nay sayer till i tried one. I think youll be happy with your decision.

If you're planning to get more SSAs, you should consider the G2S. It was on sale for $119 on Brownells after coupon and free shipping. Supposedly the same feel as the SSA, but has slight differences and less QC. The cheapest was $115 during Black Friday. It'll be on sale again in a few weeks during July 4th.

https://geissele.com/geissele-2-stage-trigger.html

The Geissele 2 Stage (G2S) was designed to be a high quality, cost effective option of the SSA. The G2S is a 4.5lb. non-adjustable combat trigger that is a precision two-stage trigger and allows precise and accurate trigger control. The G2S is manufactured from the same tool steel as the SSA. Visually, from the outside of the weapon there is no difference from the SSA and the feel and reliability is the same. The G2S however has a different way of holding the hammer pin in place, there is no laser markings, and the parts are only spot checked for MP.

If you're planning to get more SSAs, you should consider the G2S. It was on sale for $119 on Brownells after coupon and free shipping. Supposedly the same feel as the SSA, but has slight differences and less QC. The cheapest was $115 during Black Friday. It'll be on sale again in a few weeks during July 4th.

https://geissele.com/geissele-2-stage-trigger.html

At that price point the RRA NM trigger is better IMHO.

Perhaps just some variation in the one I received, but I was not a fan of the RRA trigger. Of course the Geisseles that I have are the higher end ones- I think I have the SSA-E in my 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a couple others but don't remember the models. I preferred the break of my 25-cent trigger job on a Spikes LPK over the RRA. That said, when I took CMP's Small Arms Firing School they provide RRA National Match rifles and the trigger on mine was excellent.

Perhaps just some variation in the one I received, but I was not a fan of the RRA trigger. Of course the Geisseles that I have are the higher end ones- I think I have the SSA-E in my 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a couple others but don't remember the models. I preferred the break of my 25-cent trigger job on a Spikes LPK over the RRA. That said, when I took CMP's Small Arms Firing School they provide RRA National Match rifles and the trigger on mine was excellent.

I agree I have used the Geissele high speed NM trigger and it was really nice although compared to the SSA I have the SSA sucks especially for the price point. I will not say the SSA trigger is not good I like mine.
I have 2 RRA NM triggers one that came in my complete rifle which I like the other I installed....I don't know if RRA tunes the triggers on their NM A2 rifle or if the "match" lower has tighter specs affecting the trigger BUT I like the feel of the trigger in the complete gun vs the one I installed. Again I don't see anything that makes the SSA vs the SSA-E other than the pull weight. It comes down to end use and personal feelings. I will say this to the OP
if your putting a SSA in place of a PSA discount lower trigger....... YOUR GOING TO LIKE IT!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies folks. I was hoping for a little more positive, enthusiastic endorsement of this trigger, but at least no one said it sucks. [laugh] I figured the price was very good and it has to be much better than the stock trigger in my bargain basement lower.

At some point, I will probably get a better trigger for the Armalite 10 T. For this rifle I would be looking for something with a lot lighter pull and maybe single stage, since this is more of a target rifle. Any recommendations for this application? Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies folks. I was hoping for a little more positive, enthusiastic endorsement of this trigger, but at least no one said it sucks. [laugh] I figured the price was very good and it has to be much better than the stock trigger in my bargain basement lower.

At some point, I will probably get a better trigger for the Armalite 10 T. For this rifle I would be looking for something with a lot lighter pull and maybe single stage, since this is more of a target rifle. Any recommendations for this application? Thanks again.

I bought what I was told to be a early eftmann single stage straight trigger shoe drop in trigger set. Crazy nice I can't feel any creep and it just snaps with just under 3lbs with my shit trigger pull gauge. It's nice for bench rest slow fire type shooting. I got a good deal on it from him. I'm still not used to it.

I have 2 Rifles with G2S triggers in them that I love.
I think I paid around $140 each for them.
I would have bought SSAs if they were that price.
You got a good deal at 154.99

Damn you massgun, I wish you didn't bring this to my attention. That's a good discount. I've been wanting to pick up a Super Scar Trigger for a while now but kept putting it off. Now I just went and bought one from Brownells, I guess I know what I'm getting for Father's Day...

That's a good deal for a SSA. DPMS online shop sells G2S for $110 but it doesn't come with the grease.

The Geissele grease adds a depth of flavor to my stir fry! I ended using left over Slip2000 EWG as a replacement, works fine and no issues.

I got the trigger Friday and installed it yesterday. Having never done this before, I took my time and had no problems. The original trigger had an 8 lb plus pull and very gritty, the SSA broke at just about 4.5 lbs and very smooth, so I am happy enough with my choice. The only thing I regret is waiting so long to make a decision to try a better trigger.

Would other, less expensive triggers been as good? Possibly, but at the price I got the SSA for, I am happy with it. Now I just have to wait for the next sale somewhere and get triggers for 2 more AR's, one of which is a Colt large pin H-BAR Sporter. These 2 rifles also have 8 lb plus triggers.

I may try a different brand, depending on what is on sale, but one thing for sure is I will never be satisfied with a stock mil-spec trigger again! Thanks again to all who replied to this thread.

I got the trigger Friday and installed it yesterday. Having never done this before, I took my time and had no problems. The original trigger had an 8 lb plus pull and very gritty, the SSA broke at just about 4.5 lbs and very smooth, so I am happy enough with my choice. The only thing I regret is waiting so long to make a decision to try a better trigger.

Would other, less expensive triggers been as good? Possibly, but at the price I got the SSA for, I am happy with it. Now I just have to wait for the next sale somewhere and get triggers for 2 more AR's, one of which is a Colt large pin H-BAR Sporter. These 2 rifles also have 8 lb plus triggers.

I may try a different brand, depending on what is on sale, but one thing for sure is I will never be satisfied with a stock mil-spec trigger again! Thanks again to all who replied to this thread.

Yes stock mil spec triggers suck or really suck

Geissele has good information on their web sight on which of their triggers fit colt large trigger pins with integral sear block, pinned sear block or no sear block. Wait for sales and stay with geissele. I have in colt and non colts.

Others in this thread mentioned the RRA 2 stage trigger - you can find them priced at under $100. I guess it depends on what you use the rifle for.

Just recently I acquired an old Colt which had a horrible stock trigger in it. The RRA living in my Service Rifle went into the Colt and I treated myself to a Hi Speed National Match trigger for the SR. The Geiselle is a superior trigger but the RRA will do just fine in the Colt.

Back
Top Bottom