Garand M1D

I was browsing the CMP and the M1D's always seem to be available but I can't find a ton of info about them online. Does anyone know the story on these, differences, value, are they shooter or collector rifles, etc.?

Capture.JPG

fro what i gather they are just M1s with M1d barrels on them.
I dont think there is any way to tell if they where done at the arsenals, base depots or at the cmp.
I would think if they where something worthy they would be sold out?
you could find a new old stock M1d barrels and new criterion barrels and just do a swap on a current M1 if you have one and achieve the same result?

Hmmm so from a shooter perspective I could get an M1D for $950 with more original parts than a special and it would still shoot pretty well?

What is the difference in the barrel? They both seem to be 24" bbl's?

I sent an order out for an SG today. I know it's going to be put together with repro parts because finding genuine M1D parts is getting pretty hard these days.
I'll buy the scope from the CMP and find the cheek pad somewhere. Not sure if I'll put on a repro flash hider or skip it all together.

They are probably going to come with a non Serialized base, but you might get an unmatched one.

I sent an order out for an SG today. I know it's going to be put together with repro parts because finding genuine M1D parts is getting pretty hard these days.
I'll buy the scope from the CMP and find the cheek pad somewhere. Not sure if I'll put on a repro flash hider or skip it all together.

They are probably going to come with a non Serialized base, but you might get an unmatched one.

Do you know anything about the M1D in general?

The M1D rifles that CMP is selli ng are authentic M1D's. They are just the rifle no scopes, mounts, flashiders ,cheekpads. They are no more accurate than a standard Garand.
They are more for the collector than a shooter. It will cost couple thousand to buy USGI assecories , reproductions are available but some are questionable quality

The M1D rifles that CMP is selli ng are authentic M1D's. They are just the rifle no scopes, mounts, flashiders ,cheekpads. They are no more accurate than a standard Garand.
They are more for the collector than a shooter. It will cost couple thousand to buy USGI assecories , reproductions are available but some are questionable quality

Thank you.

just curious what makes them authentic other than a GI barrel with the proper drawing number drawing number D7312555.
That was the simple solution JCG had for scoping the garand. The M1d where built from service rifle inventory correct?

there where no serial number blocks uaed like the M1c
I could be wrong...I know one thing if these M1d cmp had where of a good value they would be sold out. also not long ago cmp was selling NOS USGI M1d barrels.

Also with what the cmp has been putting out lately how do we know they just didn't install a bunch of M1d barrels onto a bunch of receivers?

You are correct they could have been assenbled but where would they have come up with thousands of used M1D barrels and correctly stamped M1D Stocks with checkpad screw holes drilled in them?
If CMP had original USGI accesories to go with them they would have sold out long ago

Last edited:
Hmmm so from a shooter perspective I could get an M1D for $950 with more original parts than a special and it would still shoot pretty well?

What is the difference in the barrel? They both seem to be 24" bbl's?

M1d for 950 is a wrack grade.... don't expect much more than a rack grade

here is a article that was put out a while back about the different grades and variants... they get into the snipers in later articles. not the easiest to find though

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/buying-m1-garands-from-the-us-government-cmp/

Trust me, I google searched on multiple occasions before I asked here.

I'm no expert on M1 variants but honestly the only thing that makes the M1d a M1d is a band pressed and pinned onto the barrel and a modified hand guard. That's what your getting from the cmp.
Are they worth 950-1500$ for that band in various conditions....I'm going to guess no as they would be sold out. The CMP special M1d special was more of a deal than buying one of these and building it out.?
I went down that road and missed the turn before prices went through the roof for the M1 snipers...
Idiot I am thinking $2800 for a cmp lottery M1d was to much... or passing on a M1c for $3400

Trust me, I google searched on multiple occasions before I asked here.

I'm no expert on M1 variants but honestly the only thing that makes the M1d a M1d is a band pressed and pinned onto the barrel and a modified hand guard. That's what your getting from the cmp.
Are they worth 950-1500$ for that band in various conditions....I'm going to guess no as they would be sold out. The CMP special M1d special was more of a deal than buying one of these and building it out.?
I went down that road and missed the turn before prices went through the roof for the M1 snipers...
Idiot I am thinking $2800 for a cmp lottery M1d was to much... or passing on a M1c for $3400

You didn't have to say it twice.

I didn't, didn't didn't

[banghead]
You didn't have to say it twice.

I didn't, didn't didn't

Weird things like that happen on my post. I also noticed the double word thing happening again.

Any how what ever any one gets I will be waiting on a range report....

They are not any standard barrel with a block installed
M1D barrels will have a D7312555 drawing number under the handguard , CMP M1D's are authentic M1D rifles. Are they worth the price?? Noyt if you want a standard shooter
Before CMP had these M1D's they were not that common and would have sold for much more before the market became saturated

They are not any standard barrel with a block installed
M1D barrels will have a D7312555 drawing number under the handguard , CMP M1D's are authentic M1D rifles. Are they worth the price?? Noyt if you want a standard shooter
Before CMP had these M1D's they were not that common and would have sold for much more before the market became saturated

I don't know a lot about them....
What I do know is M1ds where made from rebuilt rifles already in service.
Springfield armory was the only manufacture of the M1d barrels from 1951(?) with the drawing number D7312555.
I have not read of any special treatment as to barrel selection or special manufacturing to aid in accuracy? Im still reading and only started finding books.
Only thing we can hope for from the M1ds from the cmp is that they received them as they are from the army.

I did read that the army destroyed like 6000 or so in the 90s[sad]

Read my earlier posts. The M1D is no more accurate than a standard Graand rifle. There are no accuracy mods, its a scoped Garand ,period

Last autumn Ian did a series on all pretty much all the Garand variants.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct they could have been assenbled but where would they have come up with thousands of used M1D barrels and correctly stamped M1D Stocks with checkpad screw holes drilled in them?
If CMP had original USGI accesories to go with them they would have sold out long ago

this I agree with 100% and they would be on the auction sight!

Back
Top Bottom