G42

thanks for the offer man.
I've shot and liked the 42. Like you I really don't want a .380.
I'm now looking to fondle a G43

Throw some 99 grain federal HST's in there and it will be good to go. I love mine, I know 380 isn't the ideal round, but those federal HST's perform well. I have a shield in 9, but chose the 42 over the 43 because of the weight difference. If I need a 9, I carry the shield or a g19

Throw some 99 grain federal HST's in there and it will be good to go. I love mine, I know 380 isn't the ideal round, but those federal HST's perform well. I have a shield in 9, but chose the 42 over the 43 because of the weight difference. If I need a 9, I carry the shield or a g19

the HST looks good although honestly in .380 i've been most impressed w hornady critical defense 90gr FTX.

the 90gr FTX doesn't expand quite as much...it's sort of on the low end of hollow point expansion. the benefits with respect to .380 is that it doesn't underpenetrate like most other .380 JHP. it's kinda splits the middle between expansion and penetration. also i've had 100% reliable function w it, so this is the one chambering where i've moved away from gold dots or HSTs. just my take on it. certainly not gospel.

thanks for the offer man.
I've shot and liked the 42. Like you I really don't want a .380.
I'm now looking to fondle a G43

I generally hate .380 too but the G42 is the first .380 I've bought that I didn't completely hate for some reason or another. It's also stupid easy to shoot it rapidly.

If I had to do it again maybe I would have ended up with a 43, although at this rate im probably going to get a 43 anyways and have the 42 as a BUG to go with other guns.

-Mike

Mike its a compromise between weight, speed, and caliber, the 42 is stupid easy to shoot compared to the 43. No flip at all.

The 43 was ok, it is still no shield, for recoil control but its close with the extended mag for better purchase. But without it, the recoil slows down shot recovery

Mike its a compromise between weight, speed, and caliber, the 42 is stupid easy to shoot compared to the 43. No flip at all.

The 43 was ok, it is still no shield, for recoil control but its close with the extended mag for better purchase. But without it, the recoil slows down shot recovery

I made the same basic mods to my G43 as I did to my G17; I generally carry the 43 on me and the G17 with me.
truglo tritium sights, bright in the day, glow in the dark
extended mag release
extended take down lever
tungston guide rod - much heavier than stock

The heavy guide rod helps control recoil and muzzle flip; although if you've got a crappy grip on the firearm - nothing's going to help.

I've shot both. My son has the body guard and my godson has the Glock 42. The Glock is bigger and more accurate than the body guard. I'd skip both and buy the Glock 43. I don't think the .380 is powerful enough. Before someone says " I wouldn't want to be shot by a .380" Let me say I wouldn't want to be shot by a BB gun but that doesn't mean I'd carry one for self defense.

I've shot both. My son has the body guard and my godson has the Glock 42. The Glock is bigger and more accurate than the body guard. I'd skip both and buy the Glock 43. I don't think the .380 is powerful enough. Before someone says " I wouldn't want to be shot by a .380" Let me say I wouldn't want to be shot by a BB gun but that doesn't mean I'd carry one for self defense.
I felt like this for a long time...then I saw the ballistic gel tests and now I feel confident that my 42 with the right ammo will do its job

I ended up with a 42.
The 43 felt more similar to my Shield, which wasn't too big by any means, but I wanted something a tad smaller.
The 42 is perfect for what I was looking for in a gun.
I've only put about 150 rounds through her so far (Freedom Munitions, Remington and Winchester) and I've had no FTE's or FTF's.

I've been wearing it AIWB with an extra mag with a TTI baseblate which gives it 8 rounds instead of 6.
I can wear it with a very fitted t shirt and it disappears, I love it.

Such a soft shooter.

That is the magic of the 42.. i lambasted the 42 on paper , but after shooting it ,with its not existent recoil, and seeing it vanish under any clothes it was a great purchase decision..

now i just need to pick up rubber talons for it ..

I ended up with a 42.
The 43 felt more similar to my Shield, which wasn't too big by any means, but I wanted something a tad smaller.
The 42 is perfect for what I was looking for in a gun.
I've only put about 150 rounds through her so far (Freedom Munitions, Remington and Winchester) and I've had no FTE's or FTF's.

I've been wearing it AIWB with an extra mag with a TTI baseblate which gives it 8 rounds instead of 6.
I can wear it with a very fitted t shirt and it disappears, I love it.

Such a soft shooter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I stopped comparing the G42 to 9mm's then I came to appreciate it. The G42 is its own character. To me, its a "combat 380" meaning its a pocket 380 that still feels and shoots like a real gun. Glock did a great job w it. Its the only 380 that can go from my pocket to hitting steel plate at 25 yards, and make it fun to shoot a 380!

I liked the 42. It was a good shooter. I was just disappointed that the .380 didn't have the power to swing the plates on the dueling tree.

I owned g42 and 43. sold 42 because the calliber. I don't really consider these two guns are different. nothing you can't fit in a G42 that G43 won't do.

I have a shield 9mm and a 42, the 42 I can IWB with gym shorts (around the house) because it weighs so little.

Last edited:
My wife loves the 42. Soft shooter. Changed the connecting bar, trigger was a bit stiff. Also added trijicon sights and MagGuts conversion.

How reliable are mags with the magguts installed?
Do you think you can use the magguts along with a Pearce +1 extension to get 8 rounds in the mag???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think you can use the magguts along with a Pearce +1 extension to get 8 rounds in the mag???

Ive put 600 rds through 2 mags and the G42 magguts works fine. No hiccups. They do require some cleaning though no different than a standard follower IMO.

i dont think it will work w a pearce +1 to achieve 8rd. u can try it but the standard 6rd mag jut needs a little help to achieve 7, so each +1 accessory is just helping a little bit. On contrary some of the +2 like MED kit add a ton of space to mag body.

You can buy a +2 extension if you wanted 8 rounds. Its what I have on the spare mag I carry.

I just ordered one of these tonight. I'll report back once I know how it works.

It would be interesting to try one of these +2 base plate with a mag gutz follower and a Wolff extra power spring. Or maybe it will work fine with the Mag Guts mag spring.

http://www.strikeindustries.com/sho...-magazine-plate-for-glock42.html#.VonpR4Rmz4M

black.jpg

If you look back at my earlier posts, 71 & 81, I put together some 9 rd mags using the Ghost +2 base & springs with the mag guts followers. It's doable and functions.

I'm also looking to add the 42 to the stable but am I a victim of poor timing here? They were everywhere you looked for the last 6 months or so but now that I'm in the market it seems they've dried up. Did that clam's letter to MA dealers put the scare in everyone?

If anyone has any leads, PM me please. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom