G42

I have shot a buddies. They are cool, Im not a huge fan of 380 but I am a glock guy and liked the 42. Best of luck

There reliable guns. Anything is better than the bg 380 though. If your looking to get a small 380 check out the p238 also there sweet.

I had a chance to fire a G42 a few months back. It felt in line w other glock models, which is a good thing. My major beef w the G42 is that its barely smaller than my M&P shield, 938 or PM9.....so the G42 is just kinda behind the curve. The .380 caliber for me is annoying primarily due to ammo availability...yes I can find ammo but its not nearly as easy as 9mm.

if I were a die hard glock dude, then I would own a G42, but I am mostly just a gun slut which means I like everything

Got one for the bride. She didn't like the recoil of any 9mm or .38sp I owned and would only shoot my .22 revolver. She liked this right away, shoots it well. Being a glock there aren't any decockers or safetys to worry about. Nice simple, soft shooting, accurate. Worked great for my purpose.

I have one. And have not shot it.

Its bigger than other 380s as many have observed. But its not much heavier. I dont' remember the actual weights but it was 2.2 oz heavier than a Kahr P380 with magazines installed. That would make it significantly lighter and thinner than the PM9 which everyone shows in profile compared to the 42 and is actually smaller in profile than the 42.

I've put each in my pocket one after the other to compare and the Glock is significantly easier to pocket carry than the PM9.

Where I think it really is going to shine is as a gun for someone who is too recoil shy to shoot something like a P9 well. The Glock should be very tame. And as the saying goes, a hit with a .380 is better than a miss with a .45.

I'll get the 42 out to the range and give a more definitive opinion, but I'm short on .380 and would rather run it through my Kahr at this time.

Glock rep had a Box 'O Glocks to shoot recently, and I got hands on the G42 (cute) and the G41 (YES).

I would take the G42 over a Bodyguard. That's just me though.

The recoil was just silly. I don't really shoot a lot of pocket guns like that, but really. It's like a cap gun. haha

Got one for the bride. She didn't like the recoil of any 9mm or .38sp I owned and would only shoot my .22 revolver. She liked this right away, shoots it well. Being a glock there aren't any decockers or safetys to worry about. Nice simple, soft shooting, accurate. Worked great for my purpose.

How is your trigger. My 42 is stiffer than my full sized glocks. I have to measure the trigger pull to get numbers, but it feels stiffer. It will be easy to smooth out though since its the same system as the others, just reduced in size.

Glock rep had a Box 'O Glocks to shoot recently, and I got hands on the G42 (cute) and the G41 (YES).

I would take the G42 over a Bodyguard. That's just me though.

The recoil was just silly. I don't really shoot a lot of pocket guns like that, but really. It's like a cap gun. haha

By the way, I'd take a Kahr P380 or CW380 over all of them.

I would hope it is better than the BG 380 since it costs twice as much. The new no laser version isn't too bad for what it is and costs. The early laser units were, well aweful.

The 42 has some reliability issues with some ammo, so test your ammo if you get one.

That's interesting. Being finicky about ammo is typical for the short, tiny guns like the LCP and P308 because the round is fed at quite an angle. Given the length of the gun, I'd have figured that would not be a problem.

Im a glock guy and think the 42 is to big for a pocket 380.

I bought one of the new bg 380 with no laser and have been very happy with it. Its like a little cap gun very little recoil and carries great for a back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I got a chance last night to shoot my Glock 42 back to back with my Kahr P380 and my Gen 4 Glock 17.

To give a quick recap of the Kahr. It is a finely made, small, light gun. Its about the size of a Ruger LCP. But just like with the PM9, Kahr seems to have bent the laws of physics. It recoils much much less than any comparably sized gun.

Slow fire, its very accurate. At 20 ft, I can pretty much have all the bullet holes touching.

The downside to the kahr is the same as what any small J frame shooter has to deal with. 1) short sight radius 2) tiny grip.

So when you try to shoot it fast, practical accuracy goes down hill fast.

The G42 is no more mechanically accurate than the Kahr. But I could hit paper with it while shooting much more quickly. In fact, I could hit with it as quickly as I could with the G17.

So here is the long and short of it. The G42 is not magical. Its just another datapoint in the human and engineering compromise between size, weight, caliber, and shootability.

If you can hit with anything else, you can hit with a G42. In contrast, the Kahr P380, Ruger LCP, and others like it require constant practice to maintain proficiency.

Well, its for anyone who really values shot placement above caliber. It is a very small (I agree with above poster, not really pocketable) VERY shootable gun in a marginally good defensive caliber.

Yes its a good "ladies gun". But its more than that. Its a good gun for someone who doesn't want to pocket carry, but who does not shoot a lot and wants to hit if he needs to shoot.

Don't get me wrong. It is pocketable by anyone who thinks the PM9 is pocketable. In fact, its much thinner and lighter than the PM9.

When I took it out last nigh, I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it or sell it. I've decided to keep it.

Don

p.s. If you live in a free state, are a LEO or have a FFL who will do the transfer, let me know. I have another that I'll part with for reasonable money.

Last edited:
i've spent more time shooting the 42 and have changed some thoughts

The 42 is very pocketable. The slide is a bit long but it is very thin. It carries well for me.

I've got more rounds through the 42 in a couple of months than I got through the Kahr in a year and more than I shot through the Ruger LCP and Seecamp in 4 and 10 years respectively. I recently traded for about a quart of .380 brass, so I'm going to start reloading for it.

With a Scherer mag extension, you can get your whole hand on the grip. At that point, the gun becomes as easy to shoot as some .22s. Configured this way, it would make an excellent gun for women or men with limited hand strength.

Don

Last edited:

Why the **** does Glock always introduce a new gun with teething issues. JFC.

Ever since Obamascare 2 I think this could be said for pretty much every manufacturer... Springfield XDs had issues (massive recall), Glock (numerous guns) had issues, Smith BG 380 was a horrendous piece of shit with lots of issues, now is a slightly less piece of shit with issues, etc. S&W M&P series has had various bad or meh runs with issues, etc. (like the .40 S&W self ejecting mags, M&P 9s with shotgun pattern accuracy, rusting slides, out of spec sight dovetails, etc. )

These aren't for the most part, "100% of guns made" issues, either. There are people with original G42s who haven't really had problems.

The only companies who step around this kinda stuff with polymer guns are Kahr and HK. You're gonna pay more for that level of QC, though, and you might not be able to find the product you want within those lineups, either. It's probably easier to maintain higher quality when one's company doesn't have the production demand pressure the others do.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom