G42

I've been tempted to buy a g42. everytime one of you guys get one and post here pushes me closer to buying one. I'm just not sure I can settle for a 380 about the size of my shield.

I've been tempted to buy a g42. everytime one of you guys get one and post here pushes me closer to buying one. I'm just not sure I can settle for a 380 about the size of my shield.

It's still thinner than a shield is but if I owned a shield I agree it might be hard to justify it.

-Mike

I've briefly held a G42 once, and compared it to the G26 I had on me. The difference, while holding both, is even more evident than this photo lets on.

The biggest difference is when you have the G26 strapped on your side you know you're carrying something. With the G42 you can barely feel it's there.

-Mike

Its not a bad carry rig but the trigger pull seemed like 7-8 lbs on the one i shot.

Between the two i shoot the 26 better. Now just waiting till they come out with a slightly larger dimensioned 9mm version

If Glock ever does come out with a single-stack 9 I'll buy one.
But since they haven't so far, and they did come out with the 42, I bought it.

Brought it home, said to my wife something like "this is going to be either yours, ours or mine".
Took it to the range and she hated it.
It's mine.
I'm okay with that.

She's partial to her Sigs.

I've got some modifications coming in for the G42. I usually don't mess with my Glocks/mags, but I wanted to have some fun with it and also get some additional rounds.

A Ghost Inc. Edge connector, to improve the trigger a bit.
https://www-ghostinc-com.app-hosted...ct/GHO_42-43_2424_V_1/G42-EDGE-CONNECTOR.html

MagGuts will add one round to the standard mag body. I'll do that to my primary mag so that I will have eight rounds in the gun.
http://magguts.com/shop/glock-42

On my 3 back up/range mags, I'm going to MacGyver the MagGuts with a Ghost Inc. +2 M.E.D. (mini extension device), hopefully giving me a couple nine round mags.
http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_42_MINIMED/G42-MAGAZINE-EXTENSION-DEVICE.html

I'm also going to throw a night site on the front. Haven't decided what yet.

It's going to go in a Remora IWB/OWB/Pocket holster as needed.

5eb31bcbb56c948a784b6db32ede04e2.jpg

Last edited:
Watch out with the Edge. If it's anything like the other ones, you might not like it. I didn't like the way it made the trigger system feel during dry firing, not that it should matter, but I felt like it added some drag/resistance at points during cycling that I didn't like.

-Mike

Watch out with the Edge. If it's anything like the other ones, you might not like it. I didn't like the way it made the trigger system feel during dry firing, not that it should matter, but I felt like it added some drag/resistance at points during cycling that I didn't like.

-Mike
Yeah, that would be totally unacceptable. I normally don't mess with the Glock triggers. "They just work", to quote Hancock45. But ,the G42 trigger feels heavier than it really is, if that makes sense. Maybe its just the dynamics of the gun. Its not bad. It has a crisp break & not a lot of travel. But, theres a definite hang up point that I don't feel with my other Glocks.
So, we'll see how that goes. I'm hoping it helps. Ghost Inc. has a lifetime guarantee, and it wasn't a ton of dough, so no biggie.
There's not a hell of a lot of feedback out there, since the product is so new, but i found this vid. You might want to ffw to the end (past the boring install BS) where he does a little comparison with the stock G42. Not a lot to go by, but encouraging. Lol.
[video=youtube_share;bXFnoEiddvY]http://youtu.be/bXFnoEiddvY[/video]

I got some parts in and built some 9rd mags. As I explained earlier I combined the MagGuts +1 follower with the Ghost Inc. +2 spring and extension for a total of nine rounds.
From left to right is the stock mag with the MagGuts spring and follower, making a seven round mag. The second is a nine rounder with a flush baseplate. Third and fourth are 9 rds with the pinky extension. I will be removing the pinky extension on these. They are too long, but were all I had. I will be replacing them with flush base plates.
I'm using this Sticky holster until my Remora comes in. It's actually pretty good. Front pocket, back pocket, inside the waistband, all good.
I hav'nt installed the Ghost Inc. Edge connector yet.
58047787ff1ec8e041a22de088e63bda.jpg

I've briefly held a G42 once, and compared it to the G26 I had on me. The difference, while holding both, is even more evident than this photo lets on.

I recently got my hands on one and feel the same way compared to my shield. Even though they seem close in size on paper it felt much smaller in hand..if that makes any sense

If Glock ever does come out with a single-stack 9 I'll buy one.
But since they haven't so far, and they did come out with the 42, I bought it.

This is exactly what Glock wants people to do... Marketing geniuses.

When G42 sales start to drop they will probably release the single stack.. IMHO

This is exactly what Glock wants people to do... Marketing geniuses.

When G42 sales start to drop they will probably release the single stack.. IMHO

They'll still sell plenty of both. If the 9 is ever released I'll buy that too, and I know im not the only one with this plan.

-Mike

I just put on some Heinie Straight Eight Ledge night sights. I had to buy the Maryland Gun Works G42 adapter for my sight pusher. These are great sights, if anyone's looking.
I finally installed the Ghost Inc. Edge connector. It's really improved the trigger immensely. Well, in dry firing anyway. [wink] I'll get it out to the range soon. It's no longer hanging up before the release. Its a smooth pull all the way through. It feels lighter as well. I'm not sure how many lbs it is. But it is noticeable.
I picked up a few more mags too. I won't mod these.

How is the availablity and price of 380 compared to 9mm at places like walmart or dicks?

I just bought a Shield 9mm after i sold my G26 because the G26 felt to big for me. The shield feels better but still not perfect. I got to hold a G42 and it felt like the perfect size for my tiny man hands. I bought the shield because i already had a bunch of 9mm ammo.

How is the availablity and price of 380 compared to 9mm at places like walmart or dicks?

The availability of 380 still sucks overall, but it's not unobtainium. One upshot is you probably won't shoot as much of it.

-Mike

I just put on some Heinie Straight Eight Ledge night sights. I had to buy the Maryland Gun Works G42 adapter for my sight pusher. These are great sights, if anyone's looking.
I finally installed the Ghost Inc. Edge connector. It's really improved the trigger immensely. Well, in dry firing anyway. [wink] I'll get it out to the range soon. It's no longer hanging up before the release. Its a smooth pull all the way through. It feels lighter as well. I'm not sure how many lbs it is. But it is noticeable.
I picked up a few more mags too. I won't mod these.

Would love a picture!

Every SHTF novel I've been reading the protagonist seems to have a .380 in his pocket. The authors don't usually specify which. Makes me want a G42. :)

Anyone see any G42's locally?
I'm in Malden and in search of one.
Any leads would be appreciated.

Why get one when the G43 is only slightly bigger?

The size of the G42 is what turns me onto it.
Do I want a .380? Not really but it'll be PERFECT for work. As my 19 is a little bulky for what I wear here.

I dumped my Shield for this lol

JCV;4786845[B said:
]The size of the G42[/B] is what turns me onto it.
Do I want a .380? Not really but it'll be PERFECT for work. As my 19 is a little bulky for what I wear here.

I dumped my Shield for this lol
050415_D7C_7460a.jpg

Really? Adapt around that 43.

I've never shot one.
I guess I should fondle one, before I rule it out.

Do you have one?

i've had both the 43 and the 42...I really wanted the 43 to work out because I didn't want the 380 cal.....I sold the 43 and kept the 42...it really works as a pocket gun/summer gun and is a sweet shooter...it shoots everything but I found some good JHP that did great in the ballistic tests...you def should shoot both..if your near braintree R&P you can shoot my 42

i've had both the 43 and the 42...I really wanted the 43 to work out because I didn't want the 380 cal.....I sold the 43 and kept the 42...it really works as a pocket gun/summer gun and is a sweet shooter...it shoots everything but I found some good JHP that did great in the ballistic tests...you def should shoot both..if your near braintree R&P you can shoot my 42

thanks for the offer man.
I've shot and liked the 42. Like you I really don't want a .380.
I'm now looking to fondle a G43

Back
Top Bottom