• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

fuel storage

Now that I have my CUCV 6.2L diesel pickup up and running, I'd like to set up some form of fuel storage, in an out-building I have, seperate from the house. Also for use with a DIesel Generator, which is one option I am looking at...

Questions:

1) sources ( local or on-line vendors) for "Gerry Cans" , either new or good used condition ?

2) Source for new or clean 30 or 55 gallon steel barrel, where I could put hand operated pump on top, and fill with Diesel fuel.

Usually your home owners insurance will have a prohibition on large storage of fuel. Check your policy first.

Re home heating oil: using that on the road is not actual legal. It has a dye in it to mark it as home heating and farm use only. That said, it will work just fine [wink].

Usually your home owners insurance will have a prohibition on large storage of fuel. Check your policy first.

Re home heating oil: using that on the road is not actual legal. It has a dye in it to mark it as home heating and farm use only. That said, it will work just fine [wink].

How obvious is the dye? Does it stain the bumper of the car if you use it?

What I'd really like to find is a source of the 5 gallon Gerry Cans, fairly local...

(added) and I'm looking for storing legal road use fuel...

Last edited:
How obvious is the dye? Does it stain the bumper of the car if you use it?

It's obvious enough that anyone that can see into the fuel tank will see that
it's not regular diesel.

Under SHTF conditions though, I doubt anyone is going to be looking in gas
tanks, except people trying to steal gas from you....

-Mike

"Off Road" fuel is no problem for all of your "Off Road" uses ie. generator, heating equipment, farm machinery, IIRC anything that is not registered for over the road use. As a matter of fact, if you buy "Road Fuel" for an "Off Road" use, you can file with the state for a road fuel tax rebate.

Keep in mind that home heating oil may not contain the additives (usually kerosene) that keep it from gelling up in extreme cold temps., if you are holding fuel for extended periods of time you may want to explore adding stabilizers and make sure you keep all your containers FULL.

Back in my boating days, we used to use aviation fuel (gasoline) for the dingy motors, that stuff lasts forever and never gums up anything! AV gas is a much higher quality product than the stuff we buy at the pump.

I use these kind of tanks, Found them on sale several years ago for 500.00 each.

They hold 600 gallon each.

Now they sell for 1000.00 to 2000.00.
10731265.jpg

Army Barracks used to have mil surp fuel tanks. Not sure if they still do.

There are a lot of factors to consider before storing diesel fuel (or gasoline for that matter). Here are some I've found in my research to do exactly what you are talking about:

Diesel will gell if you don't buy the winter blend or add additives
Diesel absorbs water like mad which will mess up your injectors
Your stock filter is gonna have a hard time filtering out all the added corrosion particles that old diesel will pick up from the metal storage container it's in
Old diesel without proper additives will grow algae which will also mess your engine up

Heating oil can be used in a diesel but it's not usually clean enough and it's also notorious for having high moisture content, something that's not a problem for your heating system but would be for your engine. Gas companies also add many additives to diesel fuel because they know that you're gonna be using it in your truck (not the case for heating oil). Not to mention huge fines if caught running it.

Kerosene can also be used but doesn't have the lubricidity required and will destroy your injectors if run for too long.

The US Army has conducted studies running used, filtered motor oil added to diesel (maybe a 1:2 ratio or so?) and had good results with it (not sure I would want to run the risk unless an emergency though).

I have a 7.3L powerstroke and would love to store fuel up but for the above reasons I do not. These motors are very expensive to replace/repair so I only run the freshest fuel I can get although this summer I am hoping to install some added water/particulate filters in the fuel lines so I can worry less about my fuel quality. Let me know if you do figure out a solution because this is something I have considered for a while.

What I'd really like to find is a source of the 5 gallon Gerry Cans, fairly local...

(added) and I'm looking for storing legal road use fuel...

The Goffstown Ace hardware has a lot of plastic 5 gallon gerry cans (blue and red). $14.99 for blue, and 15.99 for red I think. Which pill do you want? Diesel I believe is blue..

The US Army has conducted studies running used, filtered motor oil added to diesel (maybe a 1:2 ratio or so?) and had good results with it (not sure I would want to run the risk unless an emergency though).

A friend of mine has an older Mercedes diesel and does this every time he does an oil change. He has been doing this for quite some time with no problems yet.

The product is Sta-Bil. It is for gasoline. I use the Amsoil version which does the same basic thing. You need to mix it as soon as you pump it for the most protection. I use it year round for all my small engines and start mixing it in the scooter in Oct. This way, I don't have to worry how long fuel is sitting. The 1oz per 2 gallon mixture is good for about a year. Double it for up to 2 years. For moisture, keep the tank FULL and sealed. If there is any question at all, use some Dry Gas. I buy a case of Dry Gas every fall and add it periodically just to prevent any moisture from collecting.

As an added bonus fuel stabilizers usually add some corrosion protection to the cylinders (Sta-Bil and the Amsoil do this) If I know something isn't going to be used for a while (like the snowblower in the spring) I also spray a fogging oil into the carb which helps to coat sensitive parts. (just remove the air cleaner and squirt while you turn the engine a few times by hand.)

If the engine you have has a fuel shut off between the tank and the carb, close it and run the engine dry. Then, fill the tank and keep it full to prevent moisture from condensing inside. (Be sure your shut off actually works and does not leak) All my engines with a shut off have a quick disconnect. I can use a pair of pliers to remove the clamp and pull the rubber hose off the valve. I'll stick some motor oil (like a tablespoon worth) in the hose and then run the engine dry. This will coat the fuel bowl, float, and needle valves so that they don't corrode.

It sounds like a lot of prep and stuff, but not really.

I plan to pick up 2 of the 5.8 gallon plastic cans from "Do It Best" Only $10.

Link

Cheap fuel storage option. I'd recommend pouring a can this size into a smaller one for filling stuff like generators and the like because it would be easier to handle and provide less fuel for a fire.

I used to bring one of these on up-country hunting trips. I didn't bother with the pump though- it came set up for gravity feed. Mine came from West Marine and worked great.

http://www.nextag.com/gas-caddy/search-html

I got a 55 gal steel drum from the local juice processors. Juice concentrate is often shipped in them or the blue plastic version. I have even seen them labelled " sausage casings." Look around your area for anybody that processes food, or even scrap metal yards perhaps.

I used Pri-g back in pre y2k days. worked fine on over 150 gals of gas. But that was pre alcohol fuel. one of my drums was stored for over 6 months and burned fine afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom