Root vegetable storage

Large lidded Rubbermaid tub with vegetables packed in clean straw, if possible set it a foot away from the North-side wall. Air flow is not as critical as vermin deterrence.
Open the tubs once a week and use lid to fan contents with fresh air...

If you are using your stored root-veggies, airing them is not a big deal at all...

2fcee1faea14b3caaffca153252d6b5c.gif

Large lidded Rubbermaid tub with vegetables packed in clean straw, if possible set it a foot away from the North-side wall. Air flow is not as critical as vermin deterrence.
Open the tubs once a week and use lid to fan contents with fresh air...

If you are using your stored root-veggies, airing them is not a big deal at all...

View attachment 405703
Good advice.
Is there a nice soft bed of straw in the bottom of that bucket for the mouse to land on?

I assume the building will remain above freezing? And low humidity?
Be sure to practice segregated storage. When different vegetables come in contact with each other they spoil more quickly

Last edited:
I remember my father talking about storing carrots in a small tote.
layer of sand. Layer of carrots. Layer of sand. Layer of carrots. Layer of sand

He said the last carrot was just as crisp and tasty as the first one he took out months before.

Last edited:
I’ve been using the same cheap recycled styrofoam coolers for years. They help keep a stable temp inside. From my years of experience slightly damp leave are the best medium. Lighter than sand and it can just be tossed into the compost pile come spring.
only potatoe boxes need Very slight ventilation, the root boxes are mostly tightish.

when I was growing up, the very old house I lived in had a canning room in the cellar where my Mom put up hundreds of Ball jars full of tomatoes, pickles and all kinds of other vegetables.
We also had a "root cellar" that was a dirt floored room under the pantry that was accessed from a door outside the house. Down four wooden stairs and there were two vegetable bins in there, basically big wood boxes with a hinged top and a handle. Dad would buy several 100lb. sacks of potatoes and big bags of onions each fall and they would go in there along with squash, carrots and other veggies we grew in the garden. I remember trudging out through the snow to get potatoes from the cellar for dinner.

I also remember my mother making "fresh" spaghetti sauce from her canned tomatoes in the middle of winter. Great memories.

I have a closet that has a trap door that goes into the unfinished part of the basement, keep the root veggies in a wooden box on a shelf within reach. Mouse traps and house cats, never had a problem.

Is there a nice soft bed of straw in the bottom of that bucket for the mouse to land on?
Ya, and a hole at the bottom so he can do the ride over and over.🤣

He said the last carrot was just as crisp and tasty as the Ford tone he took out months before.
I have to admit, I've never had a Ford tone, but if they're crisp and tasty I'd like to try one. :p

when I was growing up, the very old house I lived in had a canning room in the cellar where my Mom put up hundreds of Ball jars full of tomatoes, pickles and all kinds of other vegetables.
We also had a "root cellar" that was a dirt floored room under the pantry that was accessed from a door outside the house. Down four wooden stairs and there were two vegetable bins in there, basically big wood boxes with a hinged top and a handle. Dad would buy several 100lb. sacks of potatoes and big bags of onions each fall and they would go in there along with squash, carrots and other veggies we grew in the garden. I remember trudging out through the snow to get potatoes from the cellar for dinner.

I also remember my mother making "fresh" spaghetti sauce from her canned tomatoes in the middle of winter. Great memories.
This was my Grandmothers cellar. Next to the coal chute.

Back
Top Bottom