Frustration - getting the runaround from my local PD re: my LTC

So I filled out all the renewal paperwork back on June 4th (got the receipt in my wallet and everything) and was told "No problem, expect your ALP in around 6-8 weeks". Here we are well past the 8 week mark, I called a week and a half ago and was told "Oh yeah, we just need to sign this form that's been sitting here for a couple weeks, send it in so the State will print out your card and mail it back to us. Call back in a week". Called back in a week, couldn't get ahold of anyone. Left polite voicemails for all parties involved (Officer #1's vm says "Call Officer #2 for LTC updates". Officer #2's vm says "Call Officer #3 for LTC information". Officer #3's vm says (as of August 14th) "I'm out of the office until JULY 13th. I was having trouble with my voicemail, please leave another message if you called before then. If you need LTC info in the meantime, please call Officer #2!".

Here we are a week and a half later, and no one is answering the phone or returning my calls. I am Jack's disappointed sense of frustration at the hands of mindless bureaucracy. [sad]

Do I have any recourse at this point?

Last edited:
Sorry to here about the stroke job.

My town says they will call when its in. Once I renewed and got it back in about a weeks time.

Never waited more than a three weeks. The only time there was a delay was when they first went to LTC A and LTC B then it took about six weeks.

It sounds like these towns get them and don't process or sit on them.

Careful about posting that in here. Someone might call your CLEO and tell him you're complaining. [thinking] There is a rat amongst us.

Have you tried popping in to the station in person? It might be easier to get someone to talk to... and hopefully less run around.

You must be new getting a license here in Mass. What you're talking about is typical. I don't know why you think it should be any different for you. Now get active with the rest of us gun owners who have been battling this for years. Join GOAL, get involved and help us fight the good fight.

Seriously though. If you weren't aware of how it works in Massachusetts cites and towns when you apply for your license, then you haven't done enough research.

So I filled out all the renewal paperwork back on June 4th (got the receipt in my wallet and everything) and was told "No problem, expect your ALP in around 6-8 weeks". Here we are well past the 8 week mark, I called a week and a half ago and was told "Oh yeah, we just need to sign this form that's been sitting here for a couple weeks, send it in so the State will print out your card and mail it back to us. Call back in a week". Called back in a week, couldn't get ahold of anyone. Left polite voicemails for all parties involved (Officer #1's vm says "Call Officer #2 for LTC updates". Officer #2's vm says "Call Officer #3 for LTC information". Officer #3's vm says (as of August 14th) "I'm out of the office until JULY 13th. I was having trouble with my voicemail, please leave another message if you called before then. If you need LTC info in the meantime, please call Officer #2!".

Here we are a week and a half later, and no one is answering the phone or returning my calls. I am Jack's disappointed sense of frustration at the hands of mindless bureaucracy. [sad]

They could be on the up and up.

It is Summer vacation time and/or like other communities, the PD has made some cuts in the dept.

Careful about posting that in here. Someone might call your CLEO and tell him you're complaining. [thinking] There is a rat amongst us.

Ohhh?

I'm not surprised. I've always winced a bit whenever someone having a licensing problem posts here and elaborates a little too much.

Even an Inspector Clouseau type could put the pieces together
and match a complaint with a name if someone forwarded the OP's (and others), post to the relevant police dept.

Last edited:
The town in question does issue ALP but the wait time is up there, over 12 weeks for my brother recently. I would just wait it out, no point in rocking the boat even though your not asking for anything special.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must be new getting a license here in Mass. What you're talking about is typical. I don't know why you think it should be any different for you. Now get active with the rest of us gun owners who have been battling this for years. Join GOAL, get involved and help us fight the good fight. Seriously though. If you weren't aware of how it works in Massachusetts cites and towns when you apply for your license, then you haven't done enough research.
Nope, this isn't a new license, this is a renewal. I got my restricted LTC A in a neighboring town, but when I moved to my current green town the PD let me renew 'early' and get an ALP. I think a goodly chunk of the problem is that I renewed during a transition time when the guy who used to do the LTC stuff retired, and now there's like two other officers in charge of the whole process who also have a bunch of other paperwork details to do in addition to LTC.

Last edited:
OK, I just went back and 'anonymized' my posts. JoeyD, could you please edit your post where you quote the town name? [smile]

Guys with small penis syndrome have nothing else better to do than make phone calls to mess with peoples freedoms. They are nothing but cowards and would never have the balls to admit doing it. When I get a positive ID I will make it very public.

Guys with small penis syndrome have nothing else better to do than make phone calls to mess with peoples freedoms. They are nothing but cowards and would never have the balls to admit doing it. When I get a positive ID I will make it very public.

Just in case I haven't mentioned it lately - I just love this man. [wink]

Agreed. I don't understand why you would screw with someone for no good reason. Let them do what they want as long as they are not hurting anyone else.. who cares.

Boy Glad I have a large penis. I'd hate to be an innocent little penis that gets caught up in Dereks wrath.[wink] Those of you who meet that description better be clean![smile]

Really Derek, sounds like you're on to something or someone.... and from here... it smells fishy. Go get 'em Boss!

Agreed. I don't understand why you would screw with someone for no good reason. Let them do what they want as long as they are not hurting anyone else.. who cares.

+1 Some people have nothing better to do than worry about what someone else is doing [angry]

If your getting a LTC-A ALP in the town you live in I would keep quiet and start going to church on sunday. I lived in your town for years and never even met anyone with a license that said ALP.

I wonder how long it will take before they bust someone for some reason that has guns with an expired license and find out he or she submitted it for renewal 120 days before the expiration date?

I wonder how long it will take before they bust someone for some reason that has guns with an expired license and find out he or she submitted it for renewal 120 days before the expiration date?

I'm convinced that the only reason that cities/towns tell people "not to worry" and don't bust them is that it would be a public embarrassment for that chief to face a judge and tell the truth . . . that they sit on applications, don't process them in a timely manner (as specified in MGLs and CMRs) and generally cause most of the delays that lead to an "unlicensed person" issues.

That's not the kind of "dirty laundry" that any PD wants to air out in public.

BTW: It is NOT a criminal or arrestable offense. MGLs Ch. 140 S. 131 (m). The PD CAN confiscate the guns and assess a civil fine (which I'm told the courts will NOT enforce) however. But if a judge heard a story similar to the OP, I seriously doubt that s/he'd take the PDs side of this issue . . . assuming that the OP had a receipt (very rare in my experience . . . only received one once in >30 yrs for myself or my Wife's LTC).

Pay cash and get a dated reciept when you submit your applications, it the only way to get a date showing when you submitted it.

Pay cash and get a dated reciept when you submit your applications, it the only way to get a date showing when you submitted it.

Done and done! [smile] I actually got ahold of Officer #2 today. He did some poking around and basically said "If Officer #3 hasn't called you, it hasn't come in yet and there's nothing I can do. Sometimes the registry will hold off until there's a bunch of them, and send them all at once". Officer #3's voicemail STILL says "I'm out of office until July 14th". Sigh. [sad]

Done and done! [smile] I actually got ahold of Officer #2 today. He did some poking around and basically said "If Officer #3 hasn't called you, it hasn't come in yet and there's nothing I can do. Sometimes the registry will hold off until there's a bunch of them, and send them all at once". Officer #3's voicemail STILL says "I'm out of office until July 14th". Sigh. [sad]

Well...your half way there? [smile] [wink]

It really sucks that you get the run around, but with so many cities letting PD staff go, it kind of puts everything in limbo. I know the laws are supposed to be clear on this, but when you deal with local government, they can pretty much put you at their mercy. It's not fair or right, but it is what it is. I think that you are doing the right think by checking in on occasion, rather than pestering them. Hope you have some good luck soon, so you can put this behind you for another 5 years.

Me too, guess that let's me off the hook as well. [smile]

Hmmm... quandry.... if I contradict you, people will wonder how I know for sure, and then I would be breaking my promise to you about keeping our weekend together in P-town a secret... but if I don't tell the truth, if you ever hook up with an NES woman (for a change), she would be rightly mad at me for keeping the truth a secret.... I'm stuck.

So can we Tar n Feather the Rat when we get a hold of em? I'll bring the feathers. I'll make sure it'll be the ones I handpick from the bottom of my chicken coup covered in doo doo. It'll all be worth it in the end.

Hmmm... quandry.... if I contradict you, people will wonder how I know for sure, and then I would be breaking my promise to you about keeping our weekend together in P-town a secret... but if I don't tell the truth, if you ever hook up with an NES woman (for a change), she would be rightly mad at me for keeping the truth a secret.... I'm stuck.

I thought you were in therapy for those dreams. Guess what, it ain't working.

[wink]

Back
Top Bottom