• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Free App: calculate the shooting accuracy (MOA), and give you a good looking report

pinetrees

NES Member
I wrote a Windows 10 app, which is to calculate the accuracy of shooting (calculate MOA) (so far), and it is free. The program is Windows 10 store app. So it only runs on Windows 10 PC - the good side is, it can run on desktop, laptop, tablet, or hub; works on x64, x86, or ARM based Windows 10.
This is not related to the 'OnTarget PC' or other similar software.

To install, click one of the app link below on Windows 10 (16299 or higher) machine:
Get On-Target - Microsoft Store
ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MTGC6DMKPXN
Or search it in store:
open "Microsoft Store", search "On-Target". It's not on the top of the list, so either scroll, click "Apps" under "Refine Results", or click "Apps" --> "Show all". It shouldn't be hard to find it - please refer to attached screenshot.

• The target image can be picked up from disk, from scanner, or from webcam
  • The processed result image can be exported to an image file, copied to clipboard, or printed
  • The processed result can be saved (into datafile on your machine), also can be opened and edited repeatedly
  • If there are lots of targets saved, they can be filtered by caliber/ammunition/firearm/date/text to help quickly find
  • The color/size of displayed components can be customized
  • Very friendly operations by using mouse or touchscreen

After launching, the main window shows a simple instruction. I try to make the app easy to use, please let me know if any help is needed.

Any issue reporting, comment/suggestion, feature request are welcome. (Already have a list to work on, your feedback will help me prioritize the task.)

Attachments

• store-icon.png
    store-icon.png
    27 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Couple of screenshots

Attachments

• Arsenal.png
    Arsenal.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 54
  • blank.png
    blank.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 49
  • open.png
    open.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 52
  • target-settings.png
    target-settings.png
    9 KB · Views: 51
  • target-view.png
    target-view.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 57
The text boxes looks good on light targets, but not so good on dark targets. So I'm going to add the settings to customize the colors and transparency of the text boxes.

In 2018, don't want to install .Net 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005 runtime any more. Writing such an application is not difficult by using new Windows UWP. And I'd like to add something more...
Im not really sure what you said. Anyway my computer is running on windows pro7 and i have old cheap shit phone
Just wondering if this would be better than what i have and the product names seem close to the same?

In 2018, don't want to install .Net 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005 runtime any more. Writing such an application is not difficult by using new Windows UWP. And I'd like to add something more...

Sorry I don't speak programmer...

Im not really sure what you said. Anyway my computer is running on windows pro7 and i have old cheap shit phone
Just wondering if this would be better than what i have and the product names seem close to the same?
The two are similar, either one currently has pros and cons. Mine is more modern style, easy re-editing and filtering are what I need. More stuff will be added later.
If you don't want to upgrade to windows 10, you may have to stick on what you currently use. Windows 10 is a better operating system in my mind, if your machine can run windows 7 it should run windows 10 without problem. Welcome to try it if you upgrade your OS - the store app is great to keep your system not be polluted at all in well isolated environment.

The two are similar, either one currently has pros and cons. Mine is more modern style, easy re-editing and filtering are what I need. More stuff will be added later.
If you don't want to upgrade to windows 10, you may have to stick on what you currently use. Windows 10 is a better operating system in my mind, if your machine can run windows 7 it should run windows 10 without problem. Welcome to try it if you upgrade your OS - the store app is great to keep your system not be polluted at all in well isolated environment.
They asked did you write both. Based on what you've said, I'm assuming no. But it's really still unclear. Selling us on why the new malware that is 10 is better than the mess that was 7 doesn't answer the original question.

Made some updates in the weekend, the new version is ready online. Added the following:
  • From Tools->Settings->Display: can customize the color/thickness for lines, and color/opacity for the text box backgrounds
  • When initially importing target photo, the photo can be flipped or rotated, in addition to current cropping

Update:
  • Add more filters when opening the saved target
  • Add "Add Group" button, someone complaint that mouse right-click was not an obvious operation
  • Some bug fixes

I'd change the name, the first think I though when I saw OnTarget was that this was a thread for the old OnTarget app, which has a huge following. I know that's not what you want to hear but the only reason I came was because I though some old timers were telling some newbies about the app and it would give me a chance to brag post some groups ala
View: https://m.imgur.com/a/SOneI

From the screen shots I like the way your app let's you save guns with drop down menus. I would like more info displayed for the groups, and also for the X,Y offset to be shown in inches (or labeled as such) if you're taking feature requests.

Any plan for a mobile app?

I'll try and check yours out here in a bit.

Last edited:
I'd change the name, the first think I though when I saw OnTarget was that this was a thread for the old OnTarget app, which has a huge following. I know that's not what you want to hear but the only reason I came was because I though some old timers were telling some newbies about the app and it would give me a chance to brag post some groups ala
View: https://m.imgur.com/a/SOneI

From the screen shots I like the way your app let's you save guns with drop down menus. I would like more info displayed for the groups, and also for the X,Y offset to be shown in inches (or labeled as such) if you're taking feature requests.

Any plan for a mobile app?

I'll try and check yours out here in a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion. Updated the thread title, hopefully can reduce some confusing.
Adding x/y is a good suggestion and I was thinking about that too. The group/offset current is in inches, I think you suggested to show the unit (") with the value, that is good suggestion too. Will do in next version. Please let me know if you think any other information is useful to show.

I'm thinking the mobile version, but I'm afraid of the mobile version would not be ready in near future.

I just look at my targets. The last thing I want to be doing ona range is fiddlefvcking around with a phone.

I just look at my targets. The last thing I want to be doing ona range is fiddlefvcking around with a phone.

I like documenting how my gun shoots different factory ammo (i.e. groups above) - if I was able to snap a picture with my phone while it was on the target carriage vs peeling the target off, taking it home and scanning it, that's a win for me and everyone else on the range waiting for me to get done lol.

To me, this would be like a fitness tracker. Being able to track across time how you are doing. X bullet load did Y at the range. Like week one of a fitness program, did 3 pushups. You forget when you are doing 50, that you made a huge gain from 3.

Didn't look, but what about temp and/or elevation. You could see how you are performing at different temps at least. Maybe even a simple good/bad weather day when you were shooting. Elevation would probably be overkill except for security at the Mall of the Americas.

Back
Top Bottom