• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Franchi's poor customer service rant.

RDG

So early last fall I bought a new Franchi O/U for pheasant season. Was a couple weeks after buying before I got it to the range but the gun failed right out of the box. Wouldn't fire the bottom barrel after the upper barrel was fired. Gun worked fine when the bottom barrel was seclected to shoot first. Happened almost every time. It was right before pheasant season started so I figured I could live with it for a few months and then send it in. Franchis turn time was 4-6 weeks and I didn't want to not have the gun for the whole season.

After pheasant season time got away from me. I sent the gun back to Franchi in late March. Had to fight with Franchi to get them to pay shipping both ways. Told them it failed right out of the box... it's on you. They finally agreed. They had the gun for almost 6 weeks before I got it back. No email or tracking info, gun just showed up one day. They replaced a couple gears that were worn , fired a few shots and called it good. Though it was funny a gun with less than 20 rds had "worn gears"

Couple days later I dry fired the gun...WTF. Same isssue....gun is doing exact same the same thing. Called Franchi up and rep verified gun wasn't acting like it should by dry firing another one that was on the rack. Said send it back and they promised to turn it in 7 days this time and the head gunsmith would look it over. Had UPs pickup that day

So today is day 7 they had the gun. Called this morning. Rep stated that gun wasn't gonna be seeen my gunsmith for 30 days, it was sill on the rack. Explained previous conversation with other rep and that gun was promised to be turned in 7. He said he'll call the shop and I should see some tracking info in the next few days. This is where I kinda lost my cool and got agitated.

Explained to him again, I was promised a turn-time of 7 days. And that Franchi had to two choices
1) fix the gun today and get me a tracking number by dinner
2) send me a new gun.
I just joined a private pheasan hunting club this year, I've got a 10 month old pup that needs some field time and this broken shotgun is ****ing it all up.

Then rep starts giving me attitude about it. Right away said get the your manager or the head gunsmith, only correct answer is new gun or fixed gun mailed out today. So he put me on hold, manager gets on phone couple minutes later and right from the start you can tell he just wants to get ride of me. Says whatever I want to hear to get me off the phone. Said sure, I'll get the gun in the shop and get a tracking number later today. He wins and I get off the phone.

Im pretty sure I'm not gonna get a tracking number today. And I'll just have to call back tomorrow and deal with this again.

This happened about 20 minutes ago and I'm still a little pisssed. I unsterstsnd mistakes happen but this gun should have been fixed the first time. Also did some research and there is other people that have the exact same issue with the same gun. So it's obviously a know issue.

Okay, so there's my Franchi rant....I don't feel better. Just want my shotgun back.

You don't have a backup gun for hunting? There's plenty of trash can shotguns that will work fine, old school pumps etc. For short money. I realize it's not an O/U but it would be enough to get by.

I'm not excusing their shitty CS hardly (and there's no reason a customer should be treated like that) just mentioning that I wouldn't allow some companys shitty product to stop me from doing something I cared about, particularly when the incremental cost isn't that great to get a fart gun for hunting. The gun shops have trash cans full of the things.

-Mike

I would have brought it back to the dealer you bought it from and had him pull the stock to check the mechanical triggers visually to see what was going on with the bottom trigger and why it was not moving into position after the top barrel was fired. Or if the bottom hammer was not being reset when opening the the shotgun.

and can you reference you worn a gear? its leverage not a gear that cocks the hammers

Last edited:
Springfield Armory has had my M1A since April 27. Today is June 7.

the rifle was BNIB with action essentially break dancing inside the stock. the fit between stock and action was totally inexcusable. the trigger assembly could be moved around inside the stock. the barrel band was also loose. According to Springfield Armory these findings are "normal". My response was that I find their standards even more concerning than my rifle. The result of all this is that I will never purchase another one of their products again.

Often times I hear people rambling about how we shouldn't have brand loyalty. to this I say BS. I am very brand-loyal and it's usually determined by customer service.

- - - Updated - - -

I know this may come as a shock, but sometimes shit just doesn't go the way you want it to and you just have to deal with it.

true, but if you post any complaints about CS we're going to be quoting this one^ [laugh2]

Yes I have another shotgun and I know I could be using it but I shouldn't have to, Franchi should have made this right the first time. I get what your saying though Mike. Just pissed from this experience.

And I I bought the gun online, had to shipped to my FFL. Wouldn't expect them to warranty it. And I've know it's been disscused on here before... one of the good reasons from buying from a local shop. Lesson learned.

My guess on the crappy customer service end of things: The person you talked to who said it would be turned around in 7 days lied to you to get you off the phone so he could avoid arguing with you when he had to tell you it would be another 6+ weeks. He kicked the can down the road to let the next guy deal with your frustration and that guy certainly wasn't going to say "oh, my coworker lied to you when he said 7 days".

Why do people buy high-end shit that doesn't work that there are "known issues" with? I have several $100-$200 shotguns that will kill a bird just as dead as a $1000 one. Better actually, cuz mine actually work. And a pump holds at least 5 rounds, so if I miss first AND second shot I still have 3+ left.

But then again I'm driving g a 14 year old Honda that gets 35+mpg and is paid for instead of a brand new car that costs me $400/mo and gets the same mpg.

Not arguing that their customer service sucks, but why buy expensive crap?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Can I ask what model Franchi? I purchased an Aspire 28ga which has been fine so far, but I am concerned as the gun has since been discontinued. Good luck in dealings, hope you get it back soon.

I know this may come as a shock, but sometimes shit just doesn't go the way you want it to and you just have to deal with it.
Yes. But this doesn't change the poor customer service aspect by the OEM. Which was the point of the thread.

So early last fall I bought a new Franchi O/U for pheasant season. Was a couple weeks after buying before I got it to the range but the gun failed right out of the box. Wouldn't fire the bottom barrel after the upper barrel was fired. Gun worked fine when the bottom barrel was seclected to shoot first. Happened almost every time. It was right before pheasant season started so I figured I could live with it for a few months and then send it in. Franchis turn time was 4-6 weeks and I didn't want to not have the gun for the whole season.

After pheasant season time got away from me. I sent the gun back to Franchi in late March. Had to fight with Franchi to get them to pay shipping both ways. Told them it failed right out of the box... it's on you. They finally agreed. They had the gun for almost 6 weeks before I got it back. No email or tracking info, gun just showed up one day. They replaced a couple gears that were worn , fired a few shots and called it good. Though it was funny a gun with less than 20 rds had "worn gears"

Couple days later I dry fired the gun...WTF. Same isssue....gun is doing exact same the same thing. Called Franchi up and rep verified gun wasn't acting like it should by dry firing another one that was on the rack. Said send it back and they promised to turn it in 7 days this time and the head gunsmith would look it over. Had UPs pickup that day

So today is day 7 they had the gun. Called this morning. Rep stated that gun wasn't gonna be seeen my gunsmith for 30 days, it was sill on the rack. Explained previous conversation with other rep and that gun was promised to be turned in 7. He said he'll call the shop and I should see some tracking info in the next few days. This is where I kinda lost my cool and got agitated.

Explained to him again, I was promised a turn-time of 7 days. And that Franchi had to two choices
1) fix the gun today and get me a tracking number by dinner
2) send me a new gun.
I just joined a private pheasan hunting club this year, I've got a 10 month old pup that needs some field time and this broken shotgun is ****ing it all up.

Then rep starts giving me attitude about it. Right away said get the your manager or the head gunsmith, only correct answer is new gun or fixed gun mailed out today. So he put me on hold, manager gets on phone couple minutes later and right from the start you can tell he just wants to get ride of me. Says whatever I want to hear to get me off the phone. Said sure, I'll get the gun in the shop and get a tracking number later today. He wins and I get off the phone.

Im pretty sure I'm not gonna get a tracking number today. And I'll just have to call back tomorrow and deal with this again.

This happened about 20 minutes ago and I'm still a little pisssed. I unsterstsnd mistakes happen but this gun should have been fixed the first time. Also did some research and there is other people that have the exact same issue with the same gun. So it's obviously a know issue.

Okay, so there's my Franchi rant....I don't feel better. Just want my shotgun back.

Its a PIA what they are doing and should be made right by them but the part I bolded above is 100% in your control if you own another shotgun.

You just have to learn how to compartmentalize the anger cause who wants to spend time angry when you have a 10 month old pup that needs field time?

My wife leaves the room when I am on the phone with CS after the first call, cause it can create an anger vortex. Just have to break out the greatest hits like:

Well does that mean I was lied to previously?

I understand the logistical problem you outlined but that is an institutional issue so why should I as a customer bear the burden?

I understand you are saying the right things now, but can you recognize that past performance has created a credibility gap? How would you plan on closing that?

Ok ____ if I call back and reference that you told me this will they know who you are based solely on your first name?

Wow, boiler. Can I get you to reprioritize my action items? (That's some good s-word there. LOL)

Why do people buy high-end shit that doesn't work that there are "known issues" with?

Because with an O/U there's a reasonable expectation that it'll probably work just fine. We're talking fart guns here, as a generality shotguns don't have many problems compared to the volume of guns produced. He may not have know about the "known issues". I mean when's the last time you've seen a pump or an O/U malfunction? It doesn't cross ones mind to investigate such guns deeply.

-Mike

Actually $1000.00 for an O/U is not considered high end at all but anyone that buys one has an expectation that it should work right and if it doesn't that CS will make it right in a reasonable amount of time.

Why do people buy high-end shit that doesn't work that there are "known issues" with? I have several $100-$200 shotguns that will kill a bird just as dead as a $1000 one. Better actually, cuz mine actually work. And a pump holds at least 5 rounds, so if I miss first AND second shot I still have 3+ left.

But then again I'm driving g a 14 year old Honda that gets 35+mpg and is paid for instead of a brand new car that costs me $400/mo and gets the same mpg.

Actually $1000.00 for an O/U is not considered high end at all but anyone that buys one has an expectation that it should work right and if it doesn't that CS will make it right in a reasonable amount of time.

[rofl]

Reminds me of when people are asking about "first trap O/U budget under 1k"

The answer is invariably "Buy a pump and the difference in Ammo and when you use up all the ammo make an informed decision"

From my understanding the turn around time for a Browning O/U if it needs to be seen by Browning is horrendous. Months, maybe close to a year. Those guns are even less "small money" than a 1K gun, though of all the people I know who have them only 1 lost the lottery of whether it would need to go in for factory repairs. On the other hand any person who is fairly "serious" or "regular" about shotgun sports that I know has a back up gun because even a week or two off unplanned is a bummer.

Because with an O/U there's a reasonable expectation that it'll probably work just fine. We're talking fart guns here, as a generality shotguns don't have many problems compared to the volume of guns produced. He may not have know about the "known issues". I mean when's the last time you've seen a pump or an O/U malfunction? It doesn't cross ones mind to investigate such guns deeply.

-Mike
Never owned an O/U, at that price-point probably never will. That kind of money for 2 shots isn't in my budget. No offense, different strokes is all. But if I was spending that much coin, trust me I'd do at least a cursory check. Hell, the most expensive gun I own is an E-Series 1911 and I spent a couple of hours reading reviews on multiple sites before I bought that. I call it "due diligence" as opposed to "blind faith". There are SEVERAL guns, and deals, I have passed on based off 15 minutes of research.

I honestly have NO idea what O/U's go for at the bottom OR top of the scale. I picked $1,000 because the comma makes it look like a lot more money than $999.99 does. I 100% agree that CS sucked in this case, but I don't think price-point should matter. When I sent my brand new 35 year old GP100 back to Ruger because "doesn't work" I had it bak in 8 days, cleaned and repaired and test-fired and perfect, no charge, no issue. THAT'S Customer Service, and they didn't make a dime off of me. But I LOVE telling the story[smile]

I have owned and shot many O/U shotguns as I was a skeet shooter for many years. Normally you fire the bottom barrel 1st as it is easier on the action. Some O/U are inertia operated and some are mechanical. I started out with SKB and now own Rugers and have shot many others. O/U are easier to handle in competition shotgunning, that is why they are popular. Hang in there and insist that they make it right.

The advantage of an O/U and S/S is that you can have one barrel with an open choke to modified for close shots and a modified to full for further shots.

Just because you can't afford nice stuff,don't hate on people that can.[smile]

Just because you can't afford nice stuff,don't hate on people that can.[smile]

There's a difference between "can't afford" and being economical. I can afford a Springfield/Kimber/S&W PC 1911. At the end of the day I bet that the Ruger SR1911 will have the least amount of hiccups. That comes in on average at what maybe 2/3rds the price of the rest?

At the OP, shitty situation. Hope you find a way to resolve it. My buddy went through similar with two S&W PC 1911s in one range day. Round count was less than ~500 on each.

OP

Next time, tell the person/CSR on the phone that, "this call is being recorded, and I will be posting my experience on youtube, i will also be giving a review and rating about this experience on yelp and the gun forums."

Woke up this morning to a UPS tracking number from Franchi.
Hopefully gun is fixed.

Ill be happy to put this one behind me.

Good luck with Franchi's latest efforts. Your thread reminded me of returning a new Ruger Red Label 4 times until they sort of fixed it for a barrel that wouldn't fire. Frustrating, annoying and not the sort of thing you want to inflict on yourself again.

I believe you mentioned having a backup shotgun earlier, but if you don't and need one I have a couple spare semi's you could use.

Quality is not what it once was, same for customer service. I had issues with a KIDD trigger. I was so annoyed I never sent it in, and ended up fixing it myself.

Years 12 or so ago I had issues with a SW revolver, they sent me a label, fixed it and it was back in 2 weeks. Later I STUPIDLY bought a Para Ordnance 1911. Fought and fought to get a refund, not depressing with the customer service BS. Eventually I was successful.

Another good Exp, was with Aimpoint. Had what looked like a thread in the body. Called customer service and they said it was probably a "thread" from the sealant. Send it in and they would fix or replace it. It went away, so I did not take them up on it.

Everything made by man is subject to issues. How you handle the issues as a company speaks volumes.

Quality is not what it once was, same for customer service. I had issues with a KIDD trigger. I was so annoyed I never sent it in, and ended up fixing it myself.

Years 12 or so ago I had issues with a SW revolver, they sent me a label, fixed it and it was back in 2 weeks. Later I STUPIDLY bought a Para Ordnance 1911. Fought and fought to get a refund, not depressing with the customer service BS. Eventually I was successful.

Another good Exp, was with Aimpoint. Had what looked like a thread in the body. Called customer service and they said it was probably a "thread" from the sealant. Send it in and they would fix or replace it. It went away, so I did not take them up on it.

Everything made by man is subject to issues. How you handle the issues as a company speaks volumes.

Just had to send my p220 in for a trigger that was refusing to reset right, got it back fixed in 14 days on the dot, 12 from when they got it. Pretty happy overall with how quickly they turned it around and now its working perfectly.

Got my shotgun back tonight. And it's fixed. So I guess that the important part. So I'm generally happy right now. Although there's a couple minors things... scratch on stock, inside of case is kind of messsed up but otherwise the gun is fine.

They actually did fix something this time and not just some BS sign-off. They adjusted the trigger travel and shift lever spring. The gun works like it should now.

Franchi won't be getting any of my business for a long time after this. And it's not because the firearm was broken right out of th box. Shit happens, I get it. It's the failure to fix it the first time, when they had it for over four weeks and then the failure to fix it the second time in the time frame promised. If I haven't had called Wednesday, the firearm would still be sitting on the shelf waiting.

Back
Top Bottom