• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Framingham Police Officer’s past affects gun license

It is confusing. So, based on the LEOSA, I understand that if you work for a few years as a LEO, retire, make VT your permanent address, you have a LTC in all states for life, including MA.

Yes, but it's 10 years, not "a few" and again, the issue is VT could theoretically prevent said retiree from carrying AND possessing inside VT but not in the other 49 states.

I would just love to see one case, just one, where a LEO got arrested off duty for carrying. Who's going to do that to a fellow officer and cause them loss of their job and livelihood? The whole thing is just stupid. A sworn officer or soldier who has been deemed suitable to carry to protect the public adn themselves should have an automatic LTC, just as every citizen should. It should be a basic requirement of the job as a cop. If I had to take that job and deal with all the dirt bags they come into contact with, I would require that I am permitted to be armed off duty to protect myself, or I wouldn't take the job. Nobody should be put in that position and then not be allowed to protect themselves off duty. This cop from Framingham should not have been deemed suitable if a LEO is held to the same standard as the general public. Keeping him in that position without an LTC either puts the public at risk, himself, or both.

Marsha has no problem jamming up cops, it wouldn't take much for her to make one a target.

A sworn officer or soldier who has been deemed suitable to carry to protect the public adn themselves should have an automatic LTC, just as every citizen should. . . . This cop from Framingham should not have been deemed suitable if a LEO is held to the same standard as the general public. Keeping him in that position without an LTC either puts the public at risk, himself, or both.

Bravo. The key phrase is "deemed suitable to carry to protect the public and themselves."

Once we learn what felony this Framingham guy committed when he was 15, we'll see how unsuitable he is, indeed, to be carrying a gun, let alone wearing the badge.

With any luck the FOIA requests will reveal all and both Wareham and the Chief (who for some odd reason is protecting this guy) will be without their jobs.

Wait a sec . . . . isn't this the same Chief of Police who played poker on the job with some hoodsie secretaries who worked for the town? I think his past should be investigated, too.

What a dump that town must be.

In CT you can't posses guns if you are the subject of an active restraining order.

There isn't much judicial review to this because in CT you can transfer the guns to a friend or relative and then get them back once the order is lifted.

But there have been cases where cops involved in the divorce have had police called to their houses because of a domestic dispute. In some cases, the responding officers tried to coerce the women into not filing for a restraining order because it will "ruin the guys life". Since a cop with a restraining order can't carry a gun, he can't work. So we end up with women afraid to put an order agains estranged cop husbands/boyfriends.

Once we learn what felony this Framingham guy committed when he was 15, we'll see how unsuitable he is, indeed, to be carrying a gun, let alone wearing the badge.
It does not have to be a felony. Any drug crime, or crime involving firearms or ammunition for which there is a possible jail or prison term, or a misdafelon will also trigger the prohibition.

In CT you can't posses guns if you are the subject of an active restraining order.
This is true federally only once you have been given the opportunity to appear in court. In some states (for example, MA), an additional state level prohibition takes effect immediately upon issuance of an ex-parte order.

So up and till recently they couldn't use a juvi sealed record for disqualifying from gun ownership? But could use a adult sealed record to DQ you? That makes no sense at all.

Keep in mind that MGL defines a lot of "common crimes" as lifetime DQs for a LTC. Here are some examples:

- Assault or Assault & Battery (a fist-fight)
- Gross Negligence by Common Carrier (C. 265 S. 30) - ??
- Causing Injury in a Physical Exercise Program (C. 265 S. 40)
- Failure to Report a Hotel Fire (C. 266 S. 13A) - A Rob Boudrie favorite!
- Any larceny from an Elder/Disabled Person (C. 266 S.30(5))
- Shoplifting > $100 (C. 266 S. 30A)
- False Statement to Motor Vehicle Insurer (C. 266 S. 111B)

The above are culled from Glidden's book.

Here are a few others:

- Leaning a loaded long gun against a MV - lots of hunters got nailed with this, apparently as they took a piss against a nearby tree as EPO landed on them)
- Statutory Rape - The law is blind on this one, but personally I don't look upon two 16-17 year olds that are dating and have sex the same way I look upon a "real rapist" who violently violates someone!

-----------------

I know nothing of the officer in question or the offense he committed, but before people tie a noose around the guy's neck (and his chief), you really need to know what the crime was to determine if he was really a db or just a youth who did something (and got caught) that many did as kids and survived to be useful members of society.

I am neither defending nor castigating him.

Also I don't think that Juvie records fall under FOIA, so I don't expect that the public will ever learn what the offense is from any legally obtained source.

So up and till recently they couldn't use a juvi sealed record for disqualifying from gun ownership? But could use a adult sealed record to DQ you? That makes no sense at all.

Not true, in spite of the news article . . .

I've been told (by those in LE) that CJIS "opened" all sealed records (even Juvie) and reported to the issuing chief "eligible or ineligible" regarding said record, and this has been since the law change in 1998.

Each year, older and older records are being computerized so frequently nobody saw an old record for years and the person got their LTC and renewals, when suddenly they smash into the concrete wall when renewing after their specific records have been added to the system!

Not true, in spite of the news article . . .

I've been told (by those in LE) that CJIS "opened" all sealed records (even Juvie) and reported to the issuing chief "eligible or ineligible" regarding said record, and this has been since the law change in 1998.

Each year, older and older records are being computerized so frequently nobody saw an old record for years and the person got their LTC and renewals, when suddenly they smash into the concrete wall when renewing after their specific records have been added to the system!

Ok so bascially it probably was never discovered until it got put into the system. Legally he didn't have to tell any one either since it was sealed which I guess makes sense but I would think you would have to disclose any recorded sealed or not when applying for a law enforcement job.

Ok so basically it probably was never discovered until it got put into the system. Legally he didn't have to tell any one either since it was sealed which I guess makes sense but I would think you would have to disclose any recorded sealed or not when applying for a law enforcement job.

That part is odd, because my understanding is that over the last 20+ years they do an extensive background check on LE candidates. However, it is up to each town to set that standard and do the checks, so perhaps they were slipshod.

I also believed that one had to disclose EVERYTHING, even sealed records, to get appointed as a LEO. BOPs are quite different than CORIs. BOPs will show everything (assuming it was entered and correctly) whereas CORIs show only selected items and will drop some minor stuff after a set number of years. Police run BOP and III (or should) on candidates. The definitely do BOP and III on LTC applicants.

I live in 'ham and what I'm hearing, but not confirmed that 'Ham is turning into a red town. Just food for thought about our police chief.

No, it's only been the last few years that they have been opening the sealed records. As evidence the cop in the OP must have gotten a license issued in 2006 if he is only having a renewal problem in 2012...

That part is odd, because my understanding is that over the last 20+ years they do an extensive background check on LE candidates. However, it is up to each town to set that standard and do the checks, so perhaps they were slipshod.

I also believed that one had to disclose EVERYTHING, even sealed records, to get appointed as a LEO. BOPs are quite different than CORIs. BOPs will show everything (assuming it was entered and correctly) whereas CORIs show only selected items and will drop some minor stuff after a set number of years. Police run BOP and III (or should) on candidates. The definitely do BOP and III on LTC applicants.

So it would or should be more of a issue if he said he had no record when he did if the PD asked about records sealed or unsealed. But I'm sure they will find a out for him on this.

Although could make for some interesting news for a defense lawyer who's clients conviction involved testimony from this officer!

No, it's only been the last few years that they have been opening the sealed records. As evidence the cop in the OP must have gotten a license issued in 2006 if he is only having a renewal problem in 2012...

Sealed records of juvi or all sealed records?

I live in 'ham and what I'm hearing, but not confirmed that 'Ham is turning into a red town. Just food for thought about our police chief.

Not "turning", by all indications it has turned.

So how does this relate to question #10 on the LTC app? Someone could effectively answer untruthfully (and get away with it) if the record was selaled?

well that's ****ing great! So a nurse working late night shift at MetroWest Med has to walk to the dark parking lot with drug "clinics" near by and can not be issued an LTC, but this "magic" cop should.

So how does this relate to question #10 on the LTC app? Someone could effectively answer untruthfully (and get away with it) if the record was selaled?

You can legally answer No if it is sealed.. Actually if you got denied and went to court the court can't even see the record since it is not a criminal case. Seems like loophole if your a PP?

That will change with the new cori laws though!

well that's ****ing great! So a nurse working late night shift at MetroWest Med has to walk to the dark parking lot with drug "clinics" near by and can not be issued an LTC, but this "magic" cop should.

Well, only if said nurse is also a Framingham resident........

Question 10 is an abomination as are most of the others. I have no idea what one can and can't do with that in these circumstances because the state plays calvin ball with so many commonly held assumptions on expungement and sealing.

I have seen on some cities instructions for LTC's and FID cards that you can answer no if you have a sealed record but also mentioned the records would still be looked at by the state . Again though it leaves space open to appeal it in court where currently they can't open the records for court purposes.

Someone should ask Guida why this law is needed since they have been opening sealed records for PDs and FRB for 2 years now. If it had been legal to do this for those two year, why the new law (which is meant to further protect those with delinquency findings...)?

When one is applying for a law enforcement position, no records are sealed, juvenile or not. Even family members are not exempt during the background investigation part of the process. This practice goes further back than 2 years, even greater than 10 years, it is not new. If more details are needed, PM me and I will spell it all out for you.

When an individual is hired as a PO, some departments don't require you to have a LTC. When your shift is over, your department issued firearm gets locked up inside and stays there until your next shift starts.

When one is applying for a law enforcement position, no records are sealed, juvenile or not. Even family members are not exempt during the background investigation part of the process. This practice goes further back than 2 years, even greater than 10 years, it is not new. If more details are needed, PM me and I will spell it all out for you.

When an individual is hired as a PO, some departments don't require you to have a LTC. When your shift is over, your department issued firearm gets locked up inside and stays there until your next shift starts.

Non sequitor... I am not talking about getting hired as a cop. I am talking about LTCs.

Keep in mind that MGL defines a lot of "common crimes" as lifetime DQs for a LTC. Here are some examples:
You forgot "failure to report a hotel fire" and "receipt for deposit by insolvent institution" [grin]

Rob, I'm shocked that you missed this in Post # 40

[laugh] [rofl]
Yeah, just reading the new posts too quickly. You got me. But you still missed receipt for deposit by insolvent institution.

Attorney Hickson informed me that only an employee of the hotel can be convicted of that offense. Even so, I will play it safe and report any hotel fires I come across.

Yeah, just reading the new posts too quickly. You got me. But you still missed receipt for deposit by insolvent institution.

Attorney Hickson informed me that only an employee of the hotel can be convicted of that offense. Even so, I will play it safe and report any hotel fires I come across.

I didn't want to waste time researching that second one and doubt many would have a clue what it's about either. I wasn't trying to list them all, just trying to make a point that not everything implies that one is a real dangerous criminal.

Back
Top Bottom