For the Instructors on the forum...

I just realized that I already used my last sheet to send to the state with the students info on it. If memory serves, did someone have a link or Adobe doc with that form on it? Or the website that I can print one out from? I thought I had it on my favorites list, but it's not there, and I'm trying to save myself from having to search for it. (yes, I'm in a lazy mood tongiht :D )

How does one go about becoming an instructor? Just wondering.

The NRA conducts Instructor Training Courses which can certify you as an Instructor in various shooting disciplines. Contact GOAL for more information, they host many of these courses.

Instructor

If you are going to teach courses which fulfill the training requirement for a MA LTC or FID you will need a Massachusetts "Basic Firearms Safety Instructor" certificate. If you offer a course and are unable to issue the state certificate, you are wasting the time of any student hoping to use it to apply for a MA license, as the NRA course certififcate does meet the requirements for licensing.

This certification costs $50 for 10 years, and is routinely granted when you supply the MA State Police firearms licensing unit a copy of your NRA instructor credentials. Write to the following to get the Basic Firearms Safety Instructor application:

MA State Police
Firearms Licensing
470 Worcester Rd
Framingham, MA 01702

dwarven1 said:
How does one go about becoming an instructor? Just wondering.

What Rob said. You need to take the instructor's course first (which GOAL teaches) and then you need to send your certificate from that course in to "mother" with a check for $50. At least the cert. is good for 10 years.

Ross,

Walter Rodger conducts Instructor courses at Riverside by appointment. I don't know what his fee is currently, but it is reasonable. Once an instructor, if you spend a year with us at Riverside, the club will pick up the $50 charge for the state certification.

As an added bonus, Instructors who assist in the courses conducted in a calendar year have their dues covered for the following year. (some absenses are allowed, but not many)

So, for the cost of one membership (you have to be a member to teach at the club for insurance reasons) the cost of the Instructor Training, and some dedicated volunteer time through the year, you can pretty much secure a lifetime membership if teaching is something you enjoy.

Also please note that the NRA course material is a guide and that every instructor may add to that material. For example Riverside stretches the Basic Pistol course to a 6 night - 6 week course that builds the marksmanship skills over time and graduates shooters who have already shot a National Match event. We feel that this allows us to build the skills slowly and offer the student a much more gradual approach to pistol shooting. On the final night we even offer up a multitude of various centerfire guns to try so they can see what kind of pistol they might be interested in buying.

Riverside is an all volunteer training staff, and the people who are involved are shooters who teach their particular interest. NRA ranked High Master teaches Rifle. Past National Champion teaches pistol, etc. Last time I looked, our staff had over 100 years of combined instruction experience. Miliary, Law Enforcement, and Civilian backgrounds are all represented. I learn new things in just about every class just picking the brain of other instructors.

I suppose one of these days Walter is going to recommend me to getting certified as a Training Councelor as well. Just what I need huh? (^_^)

Seriously, if you are interested, see me and I'll get you introduced to the right people and get the ball rolling.

To become an NRA instructor you need to take a course from and be recommended by ab NRA Training Counselor. There are a fair number of TC's around who do that: John Greene at GOAL (often with Cross-X, who's also a TC), Walt Rodger at Riverside, and myself. Some (e.g., GOAL) do regularly scheduled courses; others (e.g., myself) arrange courses whenever there are enough people interested. (Most consider 3-4 candidates the minimum necessary to do a good course.) Cost is typically around $200-$400, and the time required is 2-4 days depending on the disciplines covered. To become certified to give the required Mass certificate, you simply send the state a copy of your NRA instructor credentials along with $50 (for 10 years) and a completed application form.

Back
Top Bottom